To all Guitar Playing Members!

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Re: To all Guitar Playing Members!

Postby mrmetal » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:20 am

Deansolo wrote:Just my opinion and not meant to offend. :)

Dean, I am totally offended.

How dare you bring datasheets, specifications, business practicality, and an overall scientific thought process to this thread?

Postby Fretman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:07 pm

mrmetal wrote:
Deansolo wrote:Just my opinion and not meant to offend. :)

Dean, I am totally offended.

How dare you bring datasheets, specifications, business practicality, and an overall scientific thought process to this thread?

Yep...I was highly offended as well. :twisted:

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:31 am

:lol: Well, sorry 'bout that. I was just tyring to say that they still make pots the way they used to. And just because you can't get a modified taper pot for a wah wah at your local Radio Shack doesn't mean everyone has to get them from " Mr. Urban Legend". Besides, we're talking about an OD-1 clone here not an old Vox Wah. :)

Dean
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Postby zepeteus » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:10 am

Deansolo wrote:Proper capacitor values are more important than pots in this application, as the caps contribute the most to a "gain pedal's" tone.

Big difference.

Dean

I agree on what you said earlier about the pot taper and all that.

What I've found kinda peculiar about these caps are the claims one pretty famous (?) pedal person has been saying. He said that the later OD-1s don't sound as good as the old ones and one reason is the smaller caps. So he substituted the old cap values and says that this made the pedal to sound like the old ones, no "thin tone" anymore.

However, you'd have to resize all the associated resistors also to keep the same cutoff points. Comparing the fc values of the old vs. new, there's actually not much difference. This person might not be telling the whole truth about what he's done...but replacing just the caps will make the pedal too bassy.

I believe one of the reasons Jake used OD-1 was to cut excess bass, which can easily be heard from his sound also.

Some hype then, eh?

[/techie mode off]

Careful about the marketing talk, people. Not something that is happening here, though. Dean, I hope your project goes well ahead.

Postby MrEL34 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:40 pm

Ok so I don't have all the answers to the questions about the old hardware vs the new, but You guitarists chew on this for a second. The tone coming out of your amp has just as much to do with electronics as it does your playing technique. I appreciate Jakes Talents as much as anyone else who is a member of this site. But we all should really strive to create our own "sound as well as make our own music. Jake is heavily influenced by Tommy Bolin, but their respective tones are very different. we are supposed to take what we learn and what we are influenced by past where we find it. Rock on folks.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:45 am

zepeteus wrote:
Deansolo wrote:Proper capacitor values are more important than pots in this application, as the caps contribute the most to a "gain pedal's" tone.

Big difference.

Dean

I agree on what you said earlier about the pot taper and all that.

What I've found kinda peculiar about these caps are the claims one pretty famous (?) pedal person has been saying. He said that the later OD-1s don't sound as good as the old ones and one reason is the smaller caps. So he substituted the old cap values and says that this made the pedal to sound like the old ones, no "thin tone" anymore.

However, you'd have to resize all the associated resistors also to keep the same cutoff points. Comparing the fc values of the old vs. new, there's actually not much difference. This person might not be telling the whole truth about what he's done...but replacing just the caps will make the pedal too bassy.

I believe one of the reasons Jake used OD-1 was to cut excess bass, which can easily be heard from his sound also.

Some hype then, eh?

[/techie mode off]

Careful about the marketing talk, people. Not something that is happening here, though. Dean, I hope your project goes well ahead.

Thanks Zep. Yes I agree that he's probably not telling the whole truth about that or he may be telling a total lie. Hype and misinformation abounds on the internet, that's for sure.

I'm going to try to pick Jakes brain about this pedal a bit and try to get as close as possible. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:54 am

MrEL34 wrote:Ok so I don't have all the answers to the questions about the old hardware vs the new, but You guitarists chew on this for a second. The tone coming out of your amp has just as much to do with electronics as it does your playing technique. I appreciate Jakes Talents as much as anyone else who is a member of this site. But we all should really strive to create our own "sound as well as make our own music. Jake is heavily influenced by Tommy Bolin, but their respective tones are very different. we are supposed to take what we learn and what we are influenced by past where we find it. Rock on folks.

Amen brother...I agree that one must find his own individual style and tone, but since I'm in the pedal business, I'm compelled to give players what they feel they need to express themselves. If the members want a JEL OD-1, I'll try my best to give them one that's as close to authentic as I can. :)

Dean
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:25 am

UPDATE:

Okay I played with some numbers and came up with this:

Limited Edition JEL OD-1 clone

1) JRC4558

2) True Bypass with LED on/off indicator

3)Heavy Duty footswitch (rated @ 30,000 actuations)

4) Input and Output buffers (?) (TBD I'm not convinced it needs them
others may disagree...what's your opinion?

5) Top quality components (Neutrik jacks, Alpha pots, epoxy-poly caps,
etc.

6) 9 volt battery and Boss style AC adapter (included)

7) 3 year limited warranty

8 ) Custom graphics (more on this later..)

9) Free Cat's-Eye T-Shirt included (100% cotton, Blk or Gry with the Mr.
Mr. Fuzz logo on the back)

Approx. $90.00 USD plus shipping.

If I can get a screaming deal on the enclosures I may be able to go even lower. Maybe $80 to $85 bucks.

What do you guys think?

Dean
www.cats-eyeesp.com

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:43 am

That is pretty cheap for us in the UK I would say, even with customs etc added on. I would at that price definately!

Postby Fretman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:06 am

Just let me know when it's ready and I'll send you the $$.

Postby jefnel1 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:11 am

Dean, I'm all over this. Any ETA on when a prototype would be available? I have a vintage Japan-made OD-1 with the desirable chip (we discussed this in the past). I could write up the review for others on the site and draw comparisons between the two units.

Either way, I'm buying one. You're more than generous to include an AC adapter, battery, etc. at that price! And if the custom graphics we talked about comes to fruition, man, what a deal!

Jeff
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby rice_pudding » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:56 am

sounds good to me 8)

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:26 pm

Sold ... to the guy from Dayton with the funny looking white guitar. LOL
( see the " My Whitey " post. )
Sounds very cool. Can't wait to see and hear it.
Dave
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:28 pm

SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!!

Postby skezza » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:43 pm

Hey Dean, have you got any prototypes playing yet :P Im looking forward to hearing some clips :P
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...