Badlands......don't like 'em

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby evilaudio » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:40 pm

Just thought I'd post my opinion on Badlands. I don't expect ANYONE to agree with me. Just thought I'd get it off my chest.

I can't stand them. I tried. I really did. Gave everything a good listen. Considering it was Jake's band, I figured I'd like it. Nope. It's like a giant leap backwards.
I never liked blues influenced hard rock. Didn't like it when Ratt flirted with it, or any other band of that era, honestly. It just seemed contrary to the evolution of guitar in that era. Look, you had Randy Rhoads who started really using classical theory in an era where everything was still blues based as far as leads were concerned. Then you had EVH who revolutionized two-hand technique. You had Jake falling somewhere in the middle. He seemed to have the knowledge of Randy and the flair of EVH, yet did both better than either of them. The bar had been raised and everyone who followed built on what Jake did. Maybe I remember it a bit grander than it really was, but Jake was the best on the planet around '83-'86.
Then........WTF happened?!!?! Badlands?!? F@#$#$@# BADLANDS!!?!
A complete step backwards. Simpler leads, more pentatonic/blues based riffs, and it
s l o w e d d o w n.
The first 2 minutes of Winter's Call puts me out like NyQuil mixed with hard core barbiturates.
I'm not trying to say he should have started a Bay-Area Thrash band, but c'mon. Seriously.
They say a band is the sum of it's parts.
So you have:
1. Jake playing like it's 1977 all over again.
2. A singer who is basically ripping off Purple-era-Coverdale delivery. The first time I heard them I thought, "Boy, this new Whitesnake SUCKS!" I realize it's bad taste to rip a dead guy. I can't help the way he sang or the fact he's passed away. My bad. I WILL admit he could sing. Damn good actually. Just wish he would have sang like......himself?
3. A bass player who makes Michael Anthony look like Les Claypool. Easy killer, no need to tear it up like Steve Harris...just pep it up a little bit. And cowboy hats don't give you street-cred. Well, only at the Blue Oyster Club or on the side of Brokeback Mountain.
4. A boom-boom-pop drummer who could have been replaced by an Alesis and no one would have been the wiser.
So that's about it.

Let the flaming commence.

Killer of Giants

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby Deansolo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:46 pm

Wow...never liked blues based hard rock....Bummer. Your loss.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:16 am

The cool thing about music is that there is no right or wrong in it. Its all based on a matter of opinion so just because you dont likr Badlands doesnt make you a bad person or anything. Hell most people i know have never heard of Badlands and for some reason they are probably one of the most forgotten and underated bands of the late '80s and early 90's. For example i think that Prog/Metal is absolutely rediculous do to the lyrical content and i think it should be called midevil or majestic metal because it always reminds me of some King Arthur movie or som Dragon Slayer film but that is just my opinion. :roll:

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:17 am

Deansolo wrote:Wow...never liked blues based hard rock....Bummer. Your loss.
Id have to agree with ya on that one Dean.

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:55 am

No need for flames. You explained your opinion well enough to warrent any flames. Now if you had only written "Badlands Sux!", and left it at that, you'd probably be a pile of ashes by now. Nope, no flames necessary... this time :twisted:

All Access Member

Postby Gonzo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:59 am

Blasphemy!!

Only kiddin', I think you're missing out but then again I probably don't like some of your music. It's all opinion unless we're talking about McFly etc ;)

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:48 pm

I can't listen to Badlands like I listen to Def Leppard, but then again, they're my favourite.
Have you tried not listening to it in the full album context, occasionally I will put on the whole album, but mostly just feel in the mood for a couple of their songs.
Also feel the same about Led Zep, I guess anyway, tend not to like it when Page had a tele, but love to watch him play live.

Postby skezza » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:13 pm

I like Badlands, but there are a few songs I like a lot more than others. That sounds really stupid but i mean a lot more, as in, if im playing an album in the car, some songs ill play and play and play, then others i might just skip every other occasion. maybe thats natural :)
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby paul » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:25 pm

The first Badlands was one of the best disc I ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:16 am

A lot of fans from "Jake in the Ozzy days" never took kindly to Badlands. My brother is a huge Jake/Ozzy fan but, doesn't care for ANY of the Badlands stuff. There is a vast difference in his style during both periods. The only style of his I never cared for was when he busted into some funk during his Badlands days. Never-the-less, Badlands had some ass kickin' tunes - some of Jake's finest work IMHO. But, to each their own . . .

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:39 am

Evilaudio, I was one of those that bought the Badlands S/T and was very disappointed with it after hearing Jake tear up Bark at the Moon and The Ultimate Sin. Live Wire was the only song I could really get into.

That CD stayed in my collection for years and never muched cared for it until I pulled it out again and jammed to it several years well after the 80s were well done, Ray was gone, and Jake was appearing only on tribute to <insert artist name here> CDs.

Although I did grow to eventually like the S/T Badlands; Voodoo Highway and Dusk are hard for me to sit through. I still think that Jake's best playing was on Ozzy's albums and anyone who plays guitar and tried to mimic those licks would most likely agree with me on that. The technique, innovation, and intensity of Jake's playing was at its peak then and hasn't been matched since. But, those CDs do have their moments and after all, it is Jake E Lee. He is one of my faves and I will buy anything he releases to just see what he is doing.

Postby skezza » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:35 pm

mrmetal wrote:Evilaudio, I was one of those that bought the Badlands S/T and was very disappointed with it after hearing Jake tear up Bark at the Moon and The Ultimate Sin. Live Wire was the only song I could really get into.

That CD stayed in my collection for years and never muched cared for it until I pulled it out again and jammed to it several years well after the 80s were well done, Ray was gone, and Jake was appearing only on tribute to <insert artist name here> CDs.

Although I did grow to eventually like the S/T Badlands; Voodoo Highway and Dusk are hard for me to sit through. I still think that Jake's best playing was on Ozzy's albums and anyone who plays guitar and tried to mimic those licks would most likely agree with me on that. The technique, innovation, and intensity of Jake's playing was at its peak then and hasn't been matched since. But, those CDs do have their moments and after all, it is Jake E Lee. He is one of my faves and I will buy anything he releases to just see what he is doing.
agree with most of that.
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:51 pm

I don't take offence to your likes & dislikes of bands you admire or not admire: if you don't like Badlands music grooves, Evilaudio that is your chose. We all have our personal likes and with that said: I "love" Badlands music vibes for it's deeply rich with style & raw electric energies that has a real nice connection with the Blues Bayou in which they Ray, Jake, Greg, Eric and Jeff have justly & respectfully embraced with. It's passionately "real" & from the BADLANDS hearts and that is what really counts/their an amazing Bayou Blues/Heavy Rock band. Peace and everyone have yourselves a groovin' Bayou BADLANDS weekend & many more throughout this New Year 2008. 8) Cheers!
Last edited by Shadow on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fretman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:10 am

I personally liked all of the Badlands stuff...a lot of the live bootlegs are particularly good. Back in the day when the first record came out me and all of my friends wore that thing out. I wish Badlands had been able to continue.

Just my $.02

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:53 pm

Fretman wrote:I personally liked all of the Badlands stuff...a lot of the live bootlegs are particularly good. Back in the day when the first record came out me and all of my friends wore that thing out. I wish Badlands had been able to continue.

Just my $.02

+1000
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...