Badlands......don't like 'em

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: nawth carolina

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby madbradwilson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:58 pm

MrScary1971 wrote:There was nothing original about Badlands although they did opt to play a style of music that wasn't as radio friendly. Surely following in the footsteps of Zeppelin, Bad Company and other blues based rock was at all trailblazing but still great nonetheless. You could also say the same for the bands they emulated and so on and so forth LOL. I don't think anything is really original anymore but you can take an idea and put your spin on it. Music is so highly influential and inspirational that way.


nothing original about: lord knows? seasons? high wire? on and on??????


um............. okay.

why are you on this site?

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby mrmetal » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:03 pm

madbradwilson wrote: gaines? you never heard of skynard?

um okay???


That was Steve Gaines, Einstien, not Chris Gaines.

All Access Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: nawth carolina

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby madbradwilson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:10 pm

mrmetal wrote:
madbradwilson wrote: gaines? you never heard of skynard?

um okay???


That was Steve Gaines, Einstien, not Chris Gaines.


my bad. now you have the biggest penis on the WHOLE BOARD!!!!!


congrats.

whew.... thank god you didn't catch me on a spelling violation, my WHOLE POST might have been voided. :rolleyes:

unless NOW, you have a reason for discourse???!!!??

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby mrmetal » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:20 pm

I must say, your command of the emoticons feature is impressive.

We see that you paid your dues to become a full access member, I am sure that Jeff appreciates your contributions.

Don't mistake that as a banner to become a full access ass.

All Access Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: nawth carolina

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby madbradwilson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:27 pm

mrmetal wrote:I must say, your command of the emoticons feature is impressive.

We see that you paid your dues to become a full access member, I am sure that Jeff appreciates your contributions.

Don't mistake that as a banner to become a full access ass.


i see you've lost control of the discussion.

it's okay. i'm comfortable with your complete insecurity. :)

BTW, you act as if i'm the ONLY ONE HERE who seems to be lost on the "pearls" you are so altruistically offering? :roll:

All Access Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: nawth carolina

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby madbradwilson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:06 pm

"mrmetal wrote:
This is the only talk forum I participate in, so I am not sure what you are talking about."

mrmetal. surely i don't need to point out that you were condescending me in both forums now... but i digress.

i am an intelligent person, and i am in command of what i say. i surely won't let someone like you instantly BARK, and i'll retract my lifelong thoughts. i welcome any different opinion that comes, but i REFUSE to allow you to shout me down. nor, use my level of membership against me, or anything else you've tried.

it's time to admit you've MET YOUR MATCH, or (gasp) ignore what i say.

i surely intend to ignore you as best as possible going forward.

i can't imagine why people like you enjoy how you act/what you do.

if you've met me face to face, there's NO WAY that you'd act like this.

i guaranntee you.

All Access Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: nawth carolina

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby madbradwilson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:03 pm

madbradwilson wrote:i feel very unpopular when i claim that clapton, paige, hendrix, santana, and rhodes sux. (or, if you prefer, less than optimal.) but, i can't help but stand by it when i hear their BEST foot(s) forward on recordings.

billy gibbons, chris gaines, johnny winters, and gary rossington were FLAT RIPPING IT UP in the face of the more notables in the late 60's early 70's. it's insulting.

no early death for rhodes????? no acolades. it's all emotional. that being said, i think his writing is outstanding.

there are plenty of great songwriter/guitarists that aren't great guitarists.

the line gets smudged WAAAAAY too often.

Jake, however, is the man. hands down.

i'm not just whistling dixie.



i apologize, the stalking started here.

if i need a refund, then i'll take it. who knew the "jake" fan club was so cannibalized???? oh well, i can prove in my collection and knowledge of his recordings who loves him best.

i'll take that refund. :roll:

Rock N' Roll Rebel
User avatar
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:01 pm

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby evilaudio » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:28 am

Allow me to interject a bit. (and this will tie into my view of Badlands)
I try to look at a guitar player not just in their level of skill, but where music was in the time they were doing what they were.
I see your quote there, madbrad. I agree. In the days of Clapton and Paige, they weren't doing anything spectacular. They were merely popular. Alvin Lee would take their lunch money.
Hendrix......well he's a dancing bear. If he were right handed or a white guy, he would be a mere footnote in the history of music. Once again, Alvin Lee.....
Randy Rhoads was everything his hype suggested. A great songwriter and innovative guitarist. In that era [of the late 70's/early 80's], classical theory was VERY rare. Most guitar work was still blues/pentatonic based. To bring real theory to the the game was a drastic leap forward.
In terms of physical guitar prowess, Jake was a better player. His work on the two Ozzy records was nothing short of phenomenal. And in the days before computer tab programs and digitally slowing down guitar tracks, he played Randy's leads note for note in most cases. I've heard some things where he took Rhoads' leads to the next logical step and added flavors that I really doubt Randy could have achieved.
I still haven't heard any guitar player achieve anything like that in the context of a band (instrumental guitar work excluded). For evidence, I would point out that the "guitar hero" Wakk Zylde/Jeff Wiedlandt still can't play Jake's parts properly, though he's been trying for 20 years. If you can play the D-minor run at the 2:30 mark in Bark At The Moon, you're ahead of Wakk and should feel pretty good about your playing.
So Jake was THE MAN from '83 to '87. I would say his only rival would be his friend, Warren DiMartini. RIVAL, not equal.
After '87? What happened? Why slow down? Why simplify and go back to using all those pentatonics? That's Wakk Zylde territory.

Oh well. That's old news. The stuff Jake is recording now is going to split some wigs.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby mrmetal » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:14 am

That may be your opinion, but the influence that Clapton, Page, and Hendrix have had on every other guitar player since their time is not in doubt. Now, I see what you mean, you may not like them, and feel the need to generate some anxiety to try and make your point, but be realistic.

I am curious as to how you explain the buzz the dancing bear created when he went to England for the first time? The English rock elite were so blown away be him and were flocking in droves to see him play the club scene. It is a well documented fact from their own mouths.

You already have the reason as to why he started Badlands from Jake himself. That is what he likes to play.

Still slamming Zakk I see....hmmmm, I wonder if anyone here can play as well as Zakk, or Clapton, or Page, or Hendrix. I seriously doubt it.

Rock N' Roll Rebel
User avatar
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:01 pm

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby evilaudio » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:19 pm

mrmetal wrote:
I am curious as to how you explain the buzz the dancing bear created when he went to England for the first time? The English rock elite were so blown away be him and were flocking in droves to see him play the club scene. It is a well documented fact from their own mouths.

That's simply because in England they had a hard on for black American blues men at the time. You can see any documentary on 60's/70's rock and know that.... as you stated above. Because Hendrix could play a black man's American blues better than a bunch of white Englishmen proves nothing. You could beat up a third grader, and they'd probably think you were the toughest dude on the planet.......but that don't make you Randy Couture.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Hendrix
So my next point would be, too often people mistake good musical phrasing for a guitar's skill. Hendrix (Page and Clapton too) is really stupid easy to play. Great phrasing. Great feel. No guitar prowess at all.
That's why I don't understand Badlands.
You have a bunch of blues guys from the 30'3 and 40's who influence a bunch of white Englishmen in the 60's and 70's. And Jake apparently formed Badlands to pay some sort of homage to his 70's blues rock inspirations. I suppose that's fine for him to do. But why be a fan of music that is just our (Americans) own music regurgitated back at us 30-some years later?
I can only deny it so much though. On the family tree of who influenced whom.......I can directly trace my guitar influence to Robert Johnson in a "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" way. So I'll agree to disagree, since the irony of my argument is obvious. :?
Screw it. I'm just gonna start listening to surf guitar stuff. :lol:

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby mrmetal » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:38 pm

evilaudio wrote: So my next point would be, too often people mistake good musical phrasing for a guitar's skill. Hendrix (Page and Clapton too) is really stupid easy to play. Great phrasing. Great feel. No guitar prowess at all.


I can agree with some of that, but....

I think it takes some skill to come up with the simple phrase that says more than a shred line that is totally forgettable. To come up with a musical phrase or line that people can relate to, remember, and sing along with is far more valuable than coming up with something that is "hard to play"....for example, a Vai or Satch solo. How many people know Stairway to Heaven by heart? - many. How many know For the Love of God? - not many!


evilaudio wrote:.......I can directly trace my guitar influence to Robert Johnson in a "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" way. So I'll agree to disagree, since the irony of my argument is obvious. :?
Screw it. I'm just gonna start listening to surf guitar stuff. :lol:


That was pretty funny! :lol:

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby mrmetal » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:42 pm

evilaudio wrote:Because Hendrix could play a black man's American blues better than a bunch of white Englishmen proves nothing.


I don't think Hendrix could play better than Ritchie Blackmore. I thought Blackmore could smoke his ass.

Rock N' Roll Rebel
User avatar
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: kansas

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby yellowshirtguy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:40 pm

I think you guys are going a bit too far. I always thought guitarist wrote thier parts because they liked the sound and it fit, not because it was complex or difficult to play.

I never liked Badlands much either when I first started getting into Jakes playing with Ozzy 2 or 3 years ago. After a bit of time though it started growing on me, and I just wanted more of his stuff. Can't get enough of his Ozzy stuff or Badlands stuff now.

All Access Member
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:29 pm
Location: UK

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby _will_ » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:45 pm

with Badlands I think Jake tried to make the rythme guitarring more fun for him to play.
I am sure I have read someting along the lines of "rythme guitar is what you play 90% of the time, so you may as well enjoy it". So with Badlands he didn't feel the need to fill the role of what Ozzy gave him, and he tried to have more fun

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: Niagara Falls

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby MrScary1971 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:50 pm

madbradwilson wrote:
MrScary1971 wrote:There was nothing original about Badlands although they did opt to play a style of music that wasn't as radio friendly. Surely following in the footsteps of Zeppelin, Bad Company and other blues based rock was at all trailblazing but still great nonetheless. You could also say the same for the bands they emulated and so on and so forth LOL. I don't think anything is really original anymore but you can take an idea and put your spin on it. Music is so highly influential and inspirational that way.


nothing original about: lord knows? seasons? high wire? on and on??????


um............. okay.

why are you on this site?


Thanks for making my point Mr Brad especially with the song Seasons which is the most Zeppelin like tune Badlands ever recorded. I don't blame them for trying to record a song like the greatest rock band to ever grace this earth I was simply pointing that out.

Why am I here? Surely you can see my Avatar. Pointing out Badlands' influences somehow makes me a non-fan?

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests