Badlands......don't like 'em

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Re: Badlands......don't like 'em

Postby mrmetal » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:58 am

Why does everyone claim Badlands was so original and "doing their own thing"? They really were not doing anything so radical, nor were they blazing new musical terrain. They were a very good blues-based rock band, but Tesla was doing blues based rock at the same time and it wasn't new music by any means.

I can see what point Fake is trying to make here. I like Badlands S/T but they really didn't progress after that debut. Dusk sounded like it was thrown together except for a couple of really good tunes.

Every good band has a dry spell. Look at Iron Maiden for example. They really suffered in songwriting after Seventh Son, but then came back with a monster album with Brave New World.

Maybe Badlands just didn't have time to progress. I doubt it would have anyway. Does anyone here really think Ray and Jake would have kept going on after the Dusk sessions and getting booted off the label?

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby evilaudio » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:02 pm

^ I don't know about any of what he said. I can't really agree with that. Except the Maiden part. And Maiden is literally my all-time favorite band. Band, not guitar player.
Anyways. I heard Badlands on the radio today. It was the back ground to the traffic report on the local rock station 98.9 FM in KC. Shit radio station, but God love 'em for playing some Jake, regardless of what Jake project it was. Still don't like Badlands, but I was all "Holy shit, that's Jake!"
Lame anecdote as it is, just thought you should know. ?
BTW, it was "Dancing On The Edge". Props to whoever at the radio station that picked some Jake shit for the traffic report.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:54 am

evilaudio wrote: ^ I don't know about any of what he said. I can't really agree with that.

Which part do you not agree with?

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby evilaudio » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:50 pm

mrmetal wrote:

They were a very good blues-based rock band.

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:25 pm

[quote="Fakeblue"]

It is probably a lack of maturity on my part but what I need from a band is to put a mark on me, like Helloween did it with their kind of malicious pumpkin rythms.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:52 pm

evilaudio wrote:
mrmetal wrote:

They were a very good blues-based rock band.

ahhhh.... well, I like 'em.

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:44 pm

There was nothing original about Badlands although they did opt to play a style of music that wasn't as radio friendly. Surely following in the footsteps of Zeppelin, Bad Company and other blues based rock was at all trailblazing but still great nonetheless. You could also say the same for the bands they emulated and so on and so forth LOL. I don't think anything is really original anymore but you can take an idea and put your spin on it. Music is so highly influential and inspirational that way.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby evilaudio » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:10 am

I heard some Wicked Alliance today. I was impressed. I wanna hear more. Nice riffage. Don't know the name of the track I heard, but it was petty aggressive. The vocals were iffy, the guitar spot on. Awesome.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:23 am

evilaudio wrote:I heard some Wicked Alliance today. I was impressed. I wanna hear more. Nice riffage. Don't know the name of the track I heard, but it was petty aggressive. The vocals were iffy, the guitar spot on. Awesome.

And what rock did you crawl out from under? 8O

Please, a moderator, S.O.S.... isn't there a rule against this? :roll:

Posts going astray?

Mother please forgive them, for they know not what they do....

Postby Fretman » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:13 am

You are indeed correct, Mr. Metal. If you want to discuss Wicked Alliance then start a Wicked Alliance thread...otherwise let's try to stay on the topic of the thread.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:44 am

Fretman wrote:You are indeed correct, Mr. Metal. If you want to discuss Wicked Alliance then start a Wicked Alliance thread...otherwise let's try to stay on the topic of the thread.

:lol: That was just my excuse for stopping the insanity. I was being way to nice.

All Access Member

Postby madbradwilson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:21 pm

i feel very unpopular when i claim that clapton, paige, hendrix, santana, and rhodes sux. (or, if you prefer, less than optimal.) but, i can't help but stand by it when i hear their BEST foot(s) forward on recordings.

billy gibbons, chris gaines, johnny winters, and gary rossington were FLAT RIPPING IT UP in the face of the more notables in the late 60's early 70's. it's insulting.

no early death for rhodes????? no acolades. it's all emotional. that being said, i think his writing is outstanding.

there are plenty of great songwriter/guitarists that aren't great guitarists.

the line gets smudged WAAAAAY too often.

Jake, however, is the man. hands down.

i'm not just whistling dixie.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:48 pm

What an ignorant post. Without Hendrix, Page, or Clapton - there wouldn't have been none of those you mentioned.

Who in the hell is Chris Gaines? Surely you don't mean the Garth Brooks alter ego :roll:

All Access Member

Postby madbradwilson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:52 pm

Zakk schmakk. if he truly worked hard, he'd find something else to play.

blakk label and his ozzy rantings are the same.

i loved his first two albums with ozzy. i loved the pride and glory album, along with book of shadows. then, his e-string harmonic jerkoff festival began, and will NEVER CEASE.

if i never heard of him again, it'd be a miraculous miracle kind of thing.

eeeeeeew.

All Access Member

Postby madbradwilson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:56 pm

mrmetal wrote:What an ignorant post. Without Hendrix, Page, or Clapton - there wouldn't have been none of those you mentioned.

Who in the hell is Chris Gaines? Surely you don't mean the Garth Brooks alter ego :roll:

gaines? you never heard of skynard?

um okay???

never the less..... you can pioneer rock without being unquestionably given the rock guitar god title.

don't believe me? listen to those poltroons you mentioned before.

the old tape machine was just as adept at catching CRAP as digital. :-)

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...