Introduction and Jake story

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Introduction and Jake story

Postby JToddK » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:49 am

Hi all, I am new to the forum and thought I'd begin with my Jake story.

Became a fan during the post-ozzy days. My roomate had picked up a copy of the first Badlands album and we both loved it and looked forward to seeing them live. At the time I was a Junior at Ohio State and we had a great venue in Columbus called the Newport Music Hall (used to be one of the famous Agora Clubs). Old Vaudeville theater with space for about 1200 fans. Called my buddy at the big radio station to get tix and saw them for the first time. THe band, and especially Jake made a big impression.

On the second tour was my Jake encounter. The Newport had an alley behind where you could hang out and get autographs. Met Jake and rest of the band. Jake signed my Guitar magazine with him on the cover and my buddy's copy of BATM with a balloon from Ozzy saying "I wnat Jake back"and then they hung out and chatted for a bit. Before the show Jake's roadie asked if anyone had any Marlboros, as I was at the front of the stage I told him I did and Gave him about half my pack thinking they were for him. Band came out, roadie pointed me out, Jake lit up one of my smokes and walked up to me and put a couple picks in my hand and said thanks alot and they broke into song. Went home and bought a glass slide the next time at the Music shop and went to work learning the new licks.

Now I am forty, married w 2 great kids, I own a stereo and TV retail/distribution company and still break out the Badlands discs, and even an Ozzy disc from time to time. Still play my white Charvel once or twice a week, and trying to teach my 6 year old how to play a little when he is on break from Thomas the Tank Engine.

Look forward to reading and contributing from time to time.

Todd

Ultimate Sinner

Re: Introduction and Jake story

Postby Ninevah123 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:58 am

Hi Todd,welcome to the board.Great Jake story,you and everyone else who got to meet Jake were so lucky.I hope your kids grow up as big Jake E Lee fans....

All the best mate.

Postby JToddK » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:54 pm

My wifes family, couple of generations ago are from Edinburgh. She still has family there (Flemings/Murray of Atholl). My son, who is 6 found the classic rock radio station and now calls it "his" station, so there is hope for him. My daughter, 3, Is big on Hannah Montana, go figure. Myself, I started as a Steve Jones disciple but as I became a better musician began to explore more challenging music to learn. Still love the Pistols and the like but even they evloved.

Todd

All Access Member

Postby pejale » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:26 pm

Bit like you mate. Major Pistols fan,Steve Jones is my idol of over 25 years, Jake not too far behind.

Postby skezza » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:26 pm

What a great story. That was absolutely brilliant! I've heard from other people how decent Jake was, but never got to see him myself. If he does ever work on a touring project again or reunites with ozz then ill be looking forward to that. As for the balloon, its justified in my opinion :D :lol:
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:11 am

Welcome to the board, Todd 8) I liked reading your Jake story - you're soo lucky to have met him!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:44 am

Welcome aboard :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Ninevah123 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Hey Todd,good to see some family connections to the old country.You spoke about the Pistols,I got to see them in Glasgow last November and they were astonishing.Some clips are up on YouTube.

Steve was on great form.He was playing his old Les Paul and it sounded like thunder.Everybody should try to get to a Sex Pistols gig if they can.

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:30 pm

Thats a really cool story Todd
The artist formally known as Brawler

Postby JToddK » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:11 pm

Ninevah123 wrote:
Steve was on great form.He was playing his old Les Paul and it sounded like thunder.Everybody should try to get to a Sex Pistols gig if they can.

I passed on seeing them on the last tour just to be a punk about it. Now I wish I had just gone and been done with it. Did see Steve 4-5 times as a solo and saw Lydon with PIL 2-3 times.

Back on Jake, I kind of skipped the Ozzy period with Jake. I always dug Sabbath and liked the first Ozzy album with Randy but just lost track after that. I was really into guitar based punk at that time. It is funny that I ended up being a Badlands fan because I used to really make fun of the Zepplin/blues based rock fans. I just love the way Jake balanced the more traditional blues riffing with the flash that became the norm (boring) in the eighties into something that was so good.

It is funny now, that I am just as likely to be caught dancing with my daughter to the Spice Girls as I am to be listenning to a Black Flag Bootleg or a Badlands album.

Todd

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Ninevah123 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:48 pm

TODD I THINK ITS SAFE TO SAFE THAT THAT WAS THE FIRST MENTION OF THE SPICE GIRLS ON JAKE'S SITE******

Postby JToddK » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:43 pm

Ninevah123 wrote:TODD I THINK ITS SAFE TO SAFE THAT THAT WAS THE FIRST MENTION OF THE SPICE GIRLS ON JAKE'S SITE******

I do what I can, when I can.

Todd

All Access Member

Postby Snowy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:22 pm

Cool story. TY for sharing!

Return to All things Jake E Lee...