Wicked Alliance/A Fine Pink Mist

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Wicked Alliance/A Fine Pink Mist

Postby gillenfan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:12 am

Just received copies of both cds, Amazing! Like Badlands, The two projects came out way before there time.
Both cds border on the industrial-side, Makes me wonder if some of the material from A.F.P.M. was going to be used for the W.A. album. There is even a version of Badlands'- Sun Red Sun w/ different lyrics.
Jake's playing is over-the-top, Makes me even more frustrated that he's such a recluse! Being quiet, I understand. But why doesn't he record anymore!?!
One thing I love about George Lynch, He's still at it. Wish Jake would find some hot vocalist and do something!
I believe, Had the 2 cds come out 10 years later-They would have had a bigger impact.

Thanks, Jefnel for the hook-up!

Re: Wicked Alliance/A Fine Pink Mist

Postby skezza » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:54 am

Have you heard Retraced, thats his latest works :)
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby gillenfan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:53 pm

Yes, I have it. It's pretty cool, Nothing mind blowing. Actually prefer the other 2 I mentioned.

Postby skezza » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:46 pm

gillenfan wrote:Yes, I have it. It's pretty cool, Nothing mind blowing. Actually prefer the other 2 I mentioned.
ive always thought a fine pink mist was brilliant. some of the effects he used on it are just mind blowing
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:33 am

I think it's because of AFPM that I was so disappointed with Retraced. AFPM was an unusual album. It showed Jake experimenting with a variety of sounds and styles. Kind of reminded me of when I first heard Steve Vai's Passion & Warfare, another album that didn't seem to care about commercial success, just artist creativity.

Don't get me wrong... something by Jake is better than nothing. I just felt Retraced was kind of a "going through the motions" type of recording, or something to help pay some bills. I hate to be that negative about it, but Retraced just left me cold.

I also remember getting the Wicked Alliance live boot years ago. I was horrified. I had never heard Mandy Lion before and I swear that until they got to the Ozzy song, Ultimate Sin I think, (or it might have been Jade's Song?) I thought someone must have sold me the wrong disc.

Maybe in the studio they might have sounded better, but that live recording made we wonder what Jake was thinking. If I had been more familiar with Lion prior to that, I might have been better prepared for it.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Jake E. Lee solo projects are individually Soulful masterpieces with guts, wits & true heart: and their quite different vintage works. A Fine Pink Mist came out I believe in 1996 on the Pony Canyon record label & Mr. Jake E. Lee displayed many of his talent styles on that album which is just out of this World from Sci-Fi, Blues & Electric Soul this album delivers as do Jake's "Retraced" which came out in 2005 on the esteem Shrapnel Record label in which Jake takes us on a music journey through everything he'd loved while growing up/revisiting his past so to speak & adding his own unique flame to those Classic 70's songs that he warmly brought back anew with a hefty Rebel devil twist. :twisted: Total bad ass Jake E. Lee's "Retraced" & "A Fine Pink Mist" is and I eagerly await for more new works from the Rebel guitarist legend. As for Wicked Alliance - that is a more "extreme" sound/& band from this very hip dual music act/Mandy Lion-vocals & Jake E. Lee-guitars that nicely displayed their unusual dark music skills. I "loved" it & would like to hear more from all of Jake's music forms rather it be the WA project or his Solo works for it's all heavy Rockin' & Wickedly fantastic to me! 8O :twisted: :o Cheers.

Postby jj69 » Sat May 17, 2008 8:36 pm

Gillenfan:

Which Wicked Alliance album are you talking about? Is it a live recording, or the unreleased Twisted Beauty album? I wasn't aware TB was ever finished.

If it's STUDIO stuff from Wicked Alliance, then where can I get it???

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Ninevah123 » Sun May 18, 2008 12:43 pm

Where can I buy 'Twisted Beauty'

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Sun May 18, 2008 2:42 pm

gillenfan wrote:Just received copies of both cds, Amazing! Like Badlands, The two projects came out way before there time.
Both cds border on the industrial-side, Makes me wonder if some of the material from A.F.P.M. was going to be used for the W.A. album. There is even a version of Badlands'- Sun Red Sun w/ different lyrics.
Jake's playing is over-the-top, Makes me even more frustrated that he's such a recluse! Being quiet, I understand. But why doesn't he record anymore!?!
One thing I love about George Lynch, He's still at it. Wish Jake would find some hot vocalist and do something!
I believe, Had the 2 cds come out 10 years later-They would have had a bigger impact.

Thanks, Jefnel for the hook-up!

Speaking of Lynch his new disc "Souls Of We- Let The Truth Be Known" has a cool instrumental "Under The Dead Tree". The last 3 tracks he shreds like he hasn't in years. Must be practicing again finally and all those clinics he's been appearing at has helped.

Speaking of Jake he has a few projects going at the moment so hopefully we will hear something soon. I'm interested to hear the project with the former OTEP members.

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:00 am

Back when Retraced came out, i think a lot of artists were jumping on that band wagon. Coming out with material of there influences. Both George and Jake are two of my favorites. I find myself listening to Retraced and Furious George quite often, and have turned alot of people on to these two releases. As for George's, Souls Of We, this is a great CD. They just have the digital download available right now. The CD release is coming up quick though. I am patiently waiting for some of Jake's new stuff to come out. I too, would like to see him hook up with a great vocalist.

Postby Winter » Thu May 22, 2008 11:22 am

I like the Retraced album. A Fine Pink Mist was very eclectic, though Retraced was completely different it was a nice change from what he had done previously.

The Wicked Alliance cds...Twisted Beauty? Was that released?

Winter

Postby jefnel1 » Thu May 22, 2008 1:41 pm

Twisted Beauty from Wicked Alliance never came to fruition. The only recordings available from that project are rough demos that float around from time to time.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Postby zepeteus » Sat May 24, 2008 4:01 am

Like Gillenfan, just recently I also got A Fine Pink Mist, finally.

It´s kinda funny how it goes sometimes. I mean, I 'm still a huge fan of Jakes Ozzy era and interested, but just not so keen about Badlands. I've literally held AFPM on my hands on many occasions past 10 yrs, but for some reason just couldn't get myself to buy it. Maybe I was afraid that it could somehow be a letdown, further away from the "shredding" Jake I still liked.

Anyhow, couple of months ago I happened to find the AFPM again on one record store clearing and finally bought it. For solid 2 weeks it stayed on my cd-player, the only cd I played, on and on. Satisfied, hell yes. Surprised, maybe a little.

The thing is, I have a lot of guitar recordings. I mean specific solo guitar records, like from Satch, Vai, Malmsteen, Lynch, Moore etc. etc. I could've never thought that as late as -96, Jake could actually come up with something so new and original that it would really stand on it's own, compared to all these things already released by the others. I mean, guitar guys were already repeating their stuff so much anyway...I quess I held Jake on so high regard, that I didn't want to risk that in any way.

That was my mistake, boy did Jake ever deliver on AFPM. The variety of songs and sounds, the playing, everything. I hear and feel so many familiar things many of the great guitarist did, even down to real nice JH moment, yet it´s all in original Jake style. On my books it went right up to the top of few guitar solo recordings truly deserving that place. I´m sure glad Jake did that.

Return to All things Jake E Lee...