Jake versus George

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Jake versus George

Postby Fakeblue » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:53 am

A guitar battle between George Lynch and Jake E Lee :

Notes Struggle

Killer of Giants

Re: Jake versus George

Postby MrScary1971 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Fakeblue wrote:A guitar battle between George Lynch and Jake E Lee :

Notes Struggle

I like this post. Personally I would like to see a G3 tour with Jake, George, and maybe Warren DeMartini. Maybe Zakk, Doug Aldrich, Reb Beach, for the 3rd spot also.

Between Jake and George obviously I favor George on this one. Besides Eruption, Mr Scary is one of the greatest instrumental pieces in the genre hands down.The entire Wicked Sensation album is absolute killer material. The Lynch Pilson disc was more refined yet brilliant. Jake's Bark At The Moon solo is way underrated and one of the very best ever. All the Badlands material was incredible as was the Ozzy years. I really liked what he did with Mandy Lion and can't wait for the new project also. Good post.

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:45 pm

I appreciate Lynch, but there are times when it seems all samey.
BUT! MR Scary is damn good.
I prefer Jake really, can understand his style a tad more, easier to relate to

Postby Cody » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:31 pm

Jake has better phrasing, and he doesn't load his music with unnecessary notes + his melodies are more expressive. Lynch just has this frequency in his tone that's emphasized by his hands - that I just don't like. It's kinda like someone who wears really loud deoderant. I can't stand his guitar tone. It's not that it sucks; it's just some kind of frequency that always comes out when he plays, that annoys the hell outta me. I can't really explain, but it's like his technique and sound is too overdone.

Postby skezza » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:38 pm

What a dreadful video (if i say so). Id prefer to judge them by listening to all their music. these kids who make videos and then someone listens and goes wow hes better than him, its difficult to get a feel. Whats more i think it plays Bark at the Moon twice :|
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:50 pm

skezza wrote:What a dreadful video (if i say so). Id prefer to judge them by listening to all their music. these kids who make videos and then someone listens and goes wow hes better than him, its difficult to get a feel. Whats more i think it plays Bark at the Moon twice :|

Not only that but Rex Carroll from Whitecross has his instrumental "Nagasake" featured like George recorded it. I understand there are similarities but if your going to post a vid at least get the music right. :twisted:

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:41 pm

Their quite different highly skilled professional musicians/Jake E. Lee and George Lynch: I admire & like both Trailblazers, alot (howbeit, Mr. Jake E. Lee is my personal favorite guitarist/musician.) Their as different from night as is to day and they both/Jake & George give much electric breath/life in everything their've done musicially and will continue do in the future. Their unique Master musicians/guitarists George Lynch & Jake E. Lee in their own rightful 'blazing music elements! 8O :twisted: Peace.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:24 am

tough call, though I'm voting for Jake on this one.

although, George is a close 2nd.
especially in this vid 8)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=asUQBl1DTDA
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby JR97 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:24 am

Both are legends. Obviously Lynch gets more press and exposure given his staying power and being "out there". I spent the last month or so listening to a lot of Dokken. A LOT of Dokken. Lynch's chops are unreal. But after a while, it's like _will_ said.. it's all samey.

The one thing about Jake E. Lee is that while he has a unique sound and style, he can sound quite different on any given tune in any given album.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Ninevah123 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:58 am

George had/has a brilliant compositional ear and this was particulary evident in his solos,technically only a few others could compete with him.Jake had an immagination that trancended compositional ability and this was evident with his Badlands songs.So much feeling and soul.Its as hard as hell to play with genuine soul...to compose music that does not degrade with time.To be able to bring your feelings out through an instrument and do it well is the Holy Grail of music.

Jake E Lee is my favorite.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:47 pm

I agree that George can sound sort of the same, but I've never heard much beyond his Dokken stuff.

With Jake, you had the metal of Ozzy, the blues of Badlands and whatever category one could put A Fine Pink Mist into.

The one area where these guys are somewhat equal is in never really transcending what they were known for back in the day.

I think of a guy like Paul Gilbert who was one of the ultimate shredders with Racer X, then evolved into more commercial playing wtih Mr. Big, and is still a huge name today in Japan and releasing albums and instructional videos on a regular basis. (Marty Friedman is in that category, too.)

A shame George and Jake never milked that market as solo artists and remained "current" even if in one country like Japan.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby LouZ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:45 pm

Another way to compare the two is to listen to songs written by Jake and George and sung by common lead singers... Ray Gillen and Mandy Lion

Jake has a way of bringing out the best in his vocalists in the music he writes with them. What he wrote in Badlands with Ray was totally different than what he did with Mandy Lion.

With all due respect to George Lynch, who is an amazing soloist and a warrior for keeping his career going, I find the songs he wrote for Dokken/Lynch Mob/Sacred Groove, etc. to be "samey".
I heard 'Purple Haze' on the radio and ...... it made the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:55 pm

LouZ wrote:Another way to compare the two is to listen to songs written by Jake and George and sung by common lead singers... Ray Gillen and Mandy Lion

Jake has a way of bringing out the best in his vocalists in the music he writes with them. What he wrote in Badlands with Ray was totally different than what he did with Mandy Lion.

With all due respect to George Lynch, who is an amazing soloist and a warrior for keeping his career going, I find the songs he wrote for Dokken/Lynch Mob/Sacred Groove, etc. to be "samey".

Lynch Mob's album "Wicked Sensation" sounded nothing like Dokken lol. George pissed off a lot of Dokken fans because LM didn't sound like Dokken. Sacred Groove was amazing and very diverse. Tierra Del Fuego had a very Spanish influence. I Will Remember and Love Power From The Mama Head were all different.

Perhaps you should check out George's new band Souls Of We. He sounds better than ever wth fresh and more relevant sound while also still shredding.

I like both guitarists and who's better is all speculation and opinion. There are better guitarists than both of them anyway. I prefer to enjoy their amazing talents and look forward to more compilations and projects from both. It's also amazing how both their fates were intertwined by the Ozzy auditions and having to replace Randy Rhoads who Lynch befriended and taught his students.. Ozzy has terrific taste in guitarists and I think we can all agree on that.

I recently asked George on the forum about his attempt to get Ray Gillen for the first and 3rd Mob album. Ray declined to do the first Badlands album and then again in 1993 for the Sun Red Sun project. Ray told George before he died he regretted not doing a full album with him.
As a huge Ray fan I can second that. :cry:

Here is that very post.

SenseiLynch
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:02 am

George Lynch

Did George have a chance to have Ray Gillen be the new vocalist for the Lynch Mob after Sacred Groove was recorded?

ray was my first choice for lynch mob initially but he was dedicated to his
band Badlands, which i respected..when he came into the studio to work with me in the sacred groove record we discussed it further..but no go....anyway, i dropped into electric ladyland in nyc while he was recording with another project.He told me he was sick and regreted not throwing in with me and doing Lynch Mob...sadness .. g

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby evilaudio » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:52 pm

Georges tone is too wet for me. Man, he puts alot of stuff on top of his tone.
:?

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:00 am

MrScary1971 wrote:It's also amazing how both their fates were intertwined by the Ozzy auditions and having to replace Randy Rhoads who Lynch befriended and taught his students.. Ozzy has terrific taste in guitarists and I think we can all agree on that.

I had heard that GL only got around to bulking up on theory in the 90's, is that me getting confused with someone else then?

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...