do decals have to be lacquered?

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

do decals have to be lacquered?

Postby Gonzo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:21 pm

On my blueburst I have an original charvel decal that i applied so it is not lacquered. Has anyone else done this?

Killer of Giants

Re: do decals have to be lacquered?

Postby MrScary1971 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:10 pm

I added the George Lynch Skull and Snakes decal (Haji) to an ESP and later laquered it to protect it. I used Krylon clearcoat which took about 3 cans of laquer. I sanded it and buffed it to a nice shiny finish. Here is a finished pic. Do some research online before you attempt it and take your time. I don't know how big your decal is so obviously you may need less materials than I did. Good luck and I hope I was some help to you.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u155 ... 71/070.jpg

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:03 pm

you need to make sure you use the same lacquer as used on the guitar, cause you can get a reaction...I have done it a couple of times with no problems but on one occasion the new coat bubbled and ruined the original....so be careful

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:53 am

MrScary1971 wrote:I added the George Lynch Skull and Snakes decal (Haji) to an ESP and later laquered it to protect it. I used Krylon clearcoat which took about 3 cans of laquer. I sanded it and buffed it to a nice shiny finish. Here is a finished pic. Do some research online before you attempt it and take your time. I don't know how big your decal is so obviously you may need less materials than I did. Good luck and I hope I was some help to you.

Nice job!

Postby skezza » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:15 pm

i always lacquer my decals. because they will peel and lift. Heres my tutorial (so to speak) of how i do it.

1. Take the neck off the guitar.
2. Using newspaper, tightly wrap around the fretboard and boat behind the fretboard. You need to cover everywhere that doesnt need lacquer. So what i recommend is, taking newspaper, wrapping all the fretboard all the way down and the underside of the neck, and wrapping the parts adjacent to the body in paper completely.
3. Depending on what part of the headstock you are spraying, you will need to cover at least some of it. I generally spray the front only. So i will cover the back of the headstock with newspaper and i will curve it up the side of the headstock to make sure the sides of the headstock stay covered. you want to make sure that the headstock front is the only part on show, and the rest of the headstock is covered by the newspaper.
4. Assuming you have covered the back of the headstock, the sides of the headstock, the neck boat, fretboard all the way up to the nut, you need to lay the guitar on a board or flat surface.
5. Spray the headstock evenly. Take even strokes and try not to drench it, otherwise you will get a soaked effect once dry. a couple of sprays should be sufficient.
6. Take the neck and balance it on top of something that means both the back of the headstock and front of the headstock are airborne. I normally rest it across a tray draw that you would find in a science lab (got a tray door set in the garage).
7. Give it at least 24 hours to dry properly. Then spray again, evenly and make sure its a healthy amount. I did six coats on mine, that gave a solid fill and made sure the decal wasnt going anywhere.
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:23 pm

Doobie wrote:
MrScary1971 wrote:I added the George Lynch Skull and Snakes decal (Haji) to an ESP and later laquered it to protect it. I used Krylon clearcoat which took about 3 cans of laquer. I sanded it and buffed it to a nice shiny finish. Here is a finished pic. Do some research online before you attempt it and take your time. I don't know how big your decal is so obviously you may need less materials than I did. Good luck and I hope I was some help to you.

Nice job!

Thank You, I appreciate it. :D

Postby skezza » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:50 am

Scary,
I know my sort of guide was for headstocks, what measures and precautions did you take when spraying your body. Similar to mine? Simple removing neck etc?

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:19 am

skezza wrote:Scary,
I know my sort of guide was for headstocks, what measures and precautions did you take when spraying your body. Similar to mine? Simple removing neck etc?

Yes absolutley, the most important part is just to be patient. Plan it all out first and most especially the type of grit used to buff the laquer is crucial. I did essentially the same thing you did and it turned out very well. The exception being to cover the body took 3 cans of laquer and some sanding touch ups. If you look closely at the bottom of my guitar there were some small blemishes that I later touched up. The best advice i can give is to pay attention how much laquer your sanding off. Once you reach the decal your pretty much screwed.

Skezza, very well thought out and executed on your part. Nice :D

Postby skezza » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:34 am

MrScary1971 wrote:
skezza wrote:The best advice i can give is to pay attention how much laquer your sanding off. Once you reach the decal your pretty much screwed.
Explain that one a bit more :P You've got me scratching my head there. Is that after you've sprayed lacquer onto the decal? And then your talking about generally wear and tear?

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:33 pm

I use 3 cans of lacquer to cover the decal and guitar body. After 3 coats on the first pass, i sand the lacquer using 220 grit sandpaper to smooth out imperfections and any excess runs or drips. I usually wait 3 days before the 2nd application using 320 grit sandpaper making sure I do not sand through to the decal. After another 4 days I repeat step 2 checking for the same problems. After another 3-4 days I use a fine rubbing compund to make the surface very shiny and smooth. With this type of lacquer it is relatively inexpensive but usually only lasts 5-7 years if done properly. I am usually sick of my guitars in about a year or two before stripping it and doing a new design. It is a lot of fun for me and one day I hope to open my own custom guitar shop. Hope that helped. Please feel free to ask any and all questions because I love talking about custom work. This is a most recent pic before I added skulls to the fretboard removing the strings and trem bar which I decided not to keep. If you look closely you will also see some lines on the top near the bridge and the neck which had to be sanded down and smoothed out.I forgot to remove some taped off sections in haste trying to finish it so I could of course play it. i decided on the Forrest model because it is a mean BC Rich styled guitar and I have never seen a Haji Lynch decal on one before. I am also a lefty which narrows the possibilies. I almost put this decal on a lefty Kirk Hammett KH-202 ESP model which already had Skull Inlays. But ultimately decided the guitar needed the attitude to match the graphic. I added the Demon to the bridge and some skull inlays and I haven't stopped playing it since.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u155 ... 71/067.jpg

Return to All things Jake E Lee...