ESP JEL signature value?

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

ESP JEL signature value?

Postby SunTzu » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:03 am

hi all,

I've been a member here a little while, but I don't post much. I have had some people locally interested in my ESP Jake signature. I am not sure on the value of it. I don't know if anyone here knows much about these but I would try here first before heading over to the ESP forums.

Here's some info. It is from the early 90s, was originally black, but has since been refinished in a seafoam green color, pickups changed out to seymour duncans, TB w/coil tap in bridge and cool rails in mid and neck.

Thanks for any info.
Last edited by SunTzu on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ESP JEL signature value?

Postby jefnel1 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:54 am

This guitar doesn't look like one of the early production models. Does it say "Custom Shop" on the back of the headstock? If this were one of the early production models, the headstock would have a larger "ESP" logo with Jake's signature following it. The custom shop models from much later have your configuration.

Still a beautiful looking guitar and I bet it's a great player too. I'd place a value of $700 on this guitar.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Postby SunTzu » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:10 pm

do you have examples of the different headstocks? What years were the two different models produced? Are you recalling this information through memory or do you have documentation? If you do have a written source where could I get a copy?

Sorry for all the questions. When I tell people about the guitar locally, they just shrug and say never heard of it.

Postby jefnel1 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:17 pm

For reference, you can check out the "Replica Guitars" section from the main menu on this site. I owned the purple ESP pictured there. It was an original 1996 production model. Note the headstock logo configuration.

It's possible yours is original production and not custom shop, but I have not seen any like yours that were original.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

All Access Member

Postby Richard » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:04 pm

I purchase a purple w/ maple neck back in 1995 back then it cost me $899.00 at Sunset Custom on sunset blvd in Hollywood Ca.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:29 pm

Looks pretty authentic to me it has Jake E. Lee Signature on it & the ESP logo trademark. If it's a replica guitar design it is truelly a nice craft one & well taken care of...'I never seen Jake guitars being that color of powder cloud baby blue. Those wine & deep blue and the Classic B/W Jake E. Lee Signature guitars by ESP & Charvel and Jackson are heavily associated with Jake E. Lee. I like the newest guitar that JAKE is playing on the "Retraced" album/Cd artcover...'that's a real heavily earth looking guitar & beautifullly crafted (like the otheres) guitar by ESP. It's nice to know that the Rebel guitarist Jake E. Lee is still endorsed with the ESP Guitars line/an I'm curious which guitars he will use for his up & coming Projects that are to be released late this year 2008. Peace! Once, again that's a really lovely replica Jake E. Lee model guitar by ESP...'and the quilt (yes, the quilt) is quite nice, too. smile. :D 8)

Postby SunTzu » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:19 pm

Thanks for the information. The guitar was originally black with a white pickguard. It was re-painted a couple years ago. That is also when the seymour duncan pickups, the MOP pickguard, and custom knobs were put on.

Quilt- Thanks my Mom made it for my son when he was born last year. I will let her know you like. :)

As far as the value on the guitar, I think $700 is absurdly low. I priced getting on made from the ESP custom shop, they quoted at about $3800 list price, so I would think maybe $2200-$2600 from a dealer. I joined the ESP guitars forum but I still can't post a new thread, I can only post replys to existing threads.

Postby jefnel1 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:21 pm

The guitar is certainly not a replica and $700 would be a minimum value. I've seen several on ebay go for $700 - $1000. Ordering direct from the ESP custom shop is THE most expensive option. The upcharge is so high it makes one think they don't really want to make it for you. If you can find an ESP dealer that will order one for you, expect to pay about $1500 for a brand new one. Keep in mind, you'll wait 6 months for it to arrive.

As great as they are, these guitars simply aren't in that much demand anymore. Of course, sentimental value always trumps retail, so if you want to sell that guitar for top dollar, find yourself a die-hard Jake fan who's favorite color is Seafoam Green.
Last edited by jefnel1 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jefnel1 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:29 pm

This one was mine. It was an original 1995 production model and had the original paint. It was in pristine condition as new. Note the different headstock signature design. I sold it for $800 about 3 years ago.

Food for thought.

Postby SunTzu » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:57 am

OHHHHH VERY cool guitar!!! I'm actually not planning on selling the guitar, but when folks at the local music store started drooling over it (I took it in for a setup) and were asking questions about what I thought it was worth, I didn't really have an idea. I had traded a different guitar straight across for it.

Thanks for all the info though, for anyone thinking of getting an ESP J.E.L. they play incredible, I love mine and won't be selling anytime soon.

All Access Member

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:24 pm

Back in 1993 I had a Jake E Lee Strat made at SunSet Custom in Hollywood on SunSet Blvd at the time it was a ESP'S Custom Shop in the U.S.A. it cost me $1,600.00 and they also made Custom made Schector guitar's too.
I was told by a saleman that Jake used to come in to store once in a while back than.
They had Jake sign the back of the headstock for me.

Return to All things Jake E Lee...