Purpleburst Build-It's Getting Closer!

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

Re: Purpleburst Build-It's Getting Closer!

Postby Bengal65 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:55 am

With those glues, the joint will be stronger than the rest of the wood. Looks like you need some bar clamps to span the pieces.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:57 am

Bengal65 wrote:That's only in the sun. There is a lot of pearl in the paint. It reflects a lot of light. If you look at most of Jakes purpleburst photo's they were taken indoors or under stage lighting. Believe me indoors it's much darker. As soon as I can figure out how to photograph it indoors, I'll be sure to post it. I had several expert guitar painters make opinions on preparing this finish after looking a hundreds of photo's.
What's even more interesting is that the almost black edges do not show up in the sun!

Gorgeous guitar, and I love that color.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:13 am

Thanks, I never really was a "purple" fan before. But, I love this purple. Makes me want more things in purple! Ha Ha!

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:55 pm

You've done an outstanding craftsman job on your Guitar, Bengal65. It's very Electric masterpiece and I'm totally amazed that you've put it all together and painted it yourself, it's a real treasure piece. How exhausting & technical it must of been putting it together (I can definately tell that you like JAKE E. LEE's Charvel Classic Guitars, alot: they are quite breathtaken those Purple & Blue bursts/and the Wine one two, etc., of his) and I'm sure quite rewarding to see your Purpleburst Guitar baby come to life! Great job and look forward to more pix of your building craftsmanship of Classic Guitars. Peace! 8)

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:56 pm

Thanks for the comments. Back in 1985 I built my first guitar from parts I obtained from Performance Guitar in North Hollywood. Most of the personnel there were former Fender employees. Then in 2002, I built 2, them in 2003 another, then last year my white Jake. Now I'm building 4 Charvel style guitars and one sudo Jackson/ESP Lynch style guitar at the same time. It is very addicting building these guitars and nerve racking at the same time keeping all the parts straight. I was lucky again and have just aquired the exact brass bridge that Jake uses on his Charvel's. I'm just waiting to get the saddles in before I install it. I started doing this because I can have a guitar I want now and not have to depend on a big factory guitar Custom Shop. Plus, I save thousands of dollars, not wait a year, and have pride in an instrument I built for myself. I invite others to try it. I have one major recommendation and that is to get Dan Erlewine's books and video's before you start. Even for a seasoned guitar builder you will pickup tips. I started out with one book. It will get you on the right track fast building a guitar of your dreams! :D

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:59 am

MetalHead wrote:
Thajan wrote:I wish I could bould guitars myself but I'm afraid that will never be the case considering I can't do anything with wood.....

Your's looking great though

i have another thing going on aswell :D

the easiest thing would be if you already had a guitar of some sort :)
get some pieces of wood, without branchholes 8O
glue them together.
have a piece of some plywood(or similar) to draw the shape
(using the guitar you already have).
take a saw and cut out the body.

I thought about that, I have a SG but a problem would be the curves on the body and also the the room for the pick-ups.....

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:35 am

Thajan wrote:
MetalHead wrote:
Thajan wrote:I wish I could bould guitars myself but I'm afraid that will never be the case considering I can't do anything with wood.....

glue them together.

I thought about that, I have a SG but a problem would be the curves on the body and also the the room for the pick-ups.....

that's what rulers are for :P

anyway, just hold a pencil against the guitarbody and follow the curves :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:09 am

MetalHead wrote:
Thajan wrote:
MetalHead wrote:

glue them together.

that's what rulers are for :P

anyway, just hold a pencil against the guitarbody and follow the curves :D

I understand that part but it is the curves of the top I'm talking about. What are rulers btw, prob know the word in dutch not in english....

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:35 am

You need to use a router and a ball bearing router bit with a 1/2" (12.7mm) radius to put those curves on .

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:59 am

Bengal65:

I'm planning to go with a main color on my star-body,
with some stripes in a different color (NOT LIKE EVH :!:)

According to Warmoth, I should use polyester lacquer as a base coat.

Then I'm thinking ... should I put on this base coat, put on the solid color,
then Cellulous lacquer, then the different colored stripes, then Cellulous lacquer again?

How did you do it ?!

I'm anxious to know, because I planned to start with this while waiting
for the neck(which has been delivered finally :D).
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:02 am

Bengal65 wrote:You need to use a router and a ball bearing router bit with a 1/2" (12.7mm) radius to put those curves on .

thanks I think that anwsers my question :D

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:13 am

Warmoth is somewhat secretive on their process, but I was able to get some info from Ken W. The paint they (and Fender according to my resources) use is the same I have used for years. It's automotive finish PPG brand Urethane. For primer on solid colors, I use PPG DP48 white primer. It is a 2 part epoxy and is rock hard in 48 hrs. It is also sandable. Then, for a base coat/clear coat system, I use the PPG DBU system base coat in the colors I need. Once I'm finished with the colors. I use the economical PPG OMNI, 2 part clear. For candies and pearls, I use House of Kolor (Urethane) and Auto Air Colors water based paints over a Urethane primer coat. I can have a solid base paint job in a couple of days ready for wet sanding and buffing compared to other paints, such a Nitro and acrylic lacquers which take months to dry thoroughly. If you use the spray can method of doing a stripe or graphic paint job, be prepared to wait 4-6 months before you can sand and buff it out.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:44 am

Bengal65 wrote:Warmoth is somewhat secretive on their process, but I was able to get some info from Ken W. The paint they (and Fender according to my resources) use is the same I have used for years. It's automotive finish PPG brand Urethane. For primer on solid colors, I use PPG DP48 white primer. It is a 2 part epoxy and is rock hard in 48 hrs. It is also sandable. Then, for a base coat/clear coat system, I use the PPG DBU system base coat in the colors I need. Once I'm finished with the colors. I use the economical PPG OMNI, 2 part clear. For candies and pearls, I use House of Kolor (Urethane) and Auto Air Colors water based paints over a Urethane primer coat. I can have a solid base paint job in a couple of days ready for wet sanding and buffing compared to other paints, such a Nitro and acrylic lacquers which take months to dry thoroughly. If you use the spray can method of doing a stripe or graphic paint job, be prepared to wait 4-6 months before you can sand and buff it out.

PPG?? DP? DB?
are those a global standard or are they just American ones ?!

I do want it to be finished as soon as possible, but 4-6 months
seems a bit unreal :( How long in total would it take using your method?

... why can't I find Urethane in my dictionary ?! :evil:

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:26 pm

"Urethane" short for Polyurethane. PPG (American brand made in Ohio) DP and DBU are a designation for a PPG product. Check and see what paint brand Volvo or some body repair shops are using in your area.

With "polyurethane" as an example and I was going to do a EVH, red, white, and black stripe guitar body with a clear coat the total time would be 7 days from start to finish. That would include, the primer, black base, tape, white coat, tape and then the red coat, followed by clear. Then wet sanded, starting out with 600-800 grit all the way to 2500, then buffed out with StewMac fine or 3M Finesse-it compound polish.

If I were to do it with can automotive type spray paint, it would be 4-6 months because they use the evaporative method of drying and with a stripe job there will be layers of paint on the guitar. I might add, if you did one thin coat of Nitro lacquer (say clear or natural) on a guitar, you could sand and buff at 4-5 weeks, longer the better.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:06 pm

i can't find polyurethane in my dictionary either :(
i don't want to look like a fool when I'm asking questions
at the paintshop :?

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...