Lords of Karma Cd

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Lords of Karma Cd

Postby pyschokenetic » Sun May 18, 2008 8:11 pm

Hey all:

I have in front of me and listening now, the cd "Lords of Karma" the tribute to Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. I am listening to Jake's version of "Surfing w/ the Alien". I just want to know, for ppl who have heard it, what's your take on his version? True to Satch's, or does Jake put his own touch on it? I like the volume knob swells at the very end. And outtake of the main solo, sounds like he's channel switching btwn 2 amps, some delay in there. Anyhow, opinionize!!! :)

Killer of Giants

Re: Lords of Karma Cd

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Mon May 19, 2008 3:29 am

Wow iv'e never heard it! sounds like it would be awesome though! can i find it on the net anywhere?
"Hello this is Robbin Crosby from RATT, and when you're in your car remember to buckle up for safety, ITS THE LAW!"

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby yellowshirtguy » Mon May 19, 2008 5:02 am

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Mon May 19, 2008 8:05 am

Oops, crazy computer duplicated a post.
Sorry
Last edited by Doobie on Mon May 19, 2008 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Mon May 19, 2008 8:12 am

I had never heard this AC/DC cover with Jake and Lemmy before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZDpvT4Lks

or

this one with Malmsteen covering Randy. Shouldn't you leave a few of the original riffs in a song you're covering, though??!! I guess one should expect such from Malmsteen, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAli1Ie7 ... re=related

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:43 am

Well, cought my curiousity on this one. I never heard this before. I never have tried to play any of Satriani's stuff myself, but would imagine it would be quite a task. Especially for Jake since he does not use a tremolo system, which Joe uses quite frequently. Jake has always had an arsenal of other guitar acrobats that he pulls off. Listening to this was cool though. I did not know there was a tribute CD out there for Satch.

Postby skezza » Mon May 19, 2008 3:01 pm

i noticed its on his other myspace www.myspace.com/jakeylouwilliams
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Postby zepeteus » Sat May 24, 2008 7:30 am

I haven't heard this tribute CD yet. Actually, I'm trying to avoid hearing it, lol.

Talking about the cover songs in general, I like it when the new version is something totally different. Like JH in All Along The Watchtower, JP in Diamonds And Rust, Paul Anka in Teen Spirit, Mike Flowers Pop in Wonderwall, just to mention a few.

With guitarists playing other guitarists stuff, you´re not going to get that kind of wild and wonderful variation, though. The internet is full of people from all over the world, showing off their technical expertise, copying abilities, patience, attention to details and whatnot. And even the most exact copies usually just another example of endless practise routines to achieve what has already been done, better, by the original players.

What I want to hear is something new, something different, the personal touch the artist can bring into the song. Note-for-note renditions, not for me. That said, I love what Jake did with some of the Randy songs. I actually prefer many of them over the originals!

I quess I'd love to hear Surfing done the Jake way, after all. I'm just not so sure about some other artists there. ;)

Return to All things Jake E Lee...