Warning about the Bark At The Moon DVD (import)

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Warning about the Bark At The Moon DVD (import)

Postby zepeteus » Sat May 24, 2008 2:40 am

Hi

Got a not so nice surprise and decided to warn you about it, just in case.

I have the original VHS version of this 1984 Salt Palace concert. But since I have not been able to watch any of my VHS tapes for years now, I finally gave in and bought this imported Bark At The Moon DVD, released by a company called Masterplan.

I did notice that the notes on the back cover were odd, like Carmine Appice being mentioned as the drummer! wtf. Anyways, I just thought that since Suicide Solution was not mentioned on the song list...they just didn't seem to know or care about the details and missed that one. So I bought the DVD anyway. And quess what?

They didn't make mistake on the song list. They friggin left out one of the best Jake live solos ever released on video!

Well, they didn't do video trickery to replace Tommy on drums though...haha.

So people, if you´re looking for the DVD releases of old Ozzy stuff, beware this version. I got the Ultimate Ozzy DVD (Japan import) about year ago, and that one was just like the original VHS, unfortunately this one was not. :evil:

Re: Warning about the Bark At The Moon DVD (import)

Postby skezza » Sat May 24, 2008 2:48 am

Hey Zepeteus,
I was given a supposed remastered DVD of the bark at the moon tour which was imported, yet when i played it, it just seemed like any other VHS version :|
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Postby zepeteus » Sat May 24, 2008 3:13 am

Ah, yes...like my imported Ultimate Ozzy DVD. It does have couple of different audio options, but it all sounds and definitely looks like the old VHS, good or bad.

Basically the same with this Masterplan release of BATM. I didn't even check if it has different audio options, they would be pretty meaningless anyways, and the picture quality is..ahm...like the tape. Oh, and the shining white "MP" logo they added, showing on the upper left of the screen all the time, huh.

I listened the audio through my headphones while watching the DVD, and by itself, it's fine and clear. Unfortunately the audio track has the same goofy mixing the original VHS had, audience noises covering everything on few spots.

Say, Skezza, you're from England so you might well remember the old Super channel? They used to show all these live concerts and one of them was the Ultimate Ozzy show, which I also managed to tape. What was interesting was that the concert was real live, not like on the official video release. The song order was different and of course none of those pasted video clips of Ozzy wandering around. Some of the camera angles were also different, so it gave kinda like another view to the same old show. Too bad the ad breaks simply cut out some parts of the concert, like most of Jakes solo, another great one.

Well, gotta get my VHS-2-DVD machine going, so I can bring back all those old tapes.

Postby skezza » Sat May 24, 2008 5:05 pm

zepeteus wrote:Ah, yes...like my imported Ultimate Ozzy DVD. It does have couple of different audio options, but it all sounds and definitely looks like the old VHS, good or bad.

Basically the same with this Masterplan release of BATM. I didn't even check if it has different audio options, they would be pretty meaningless anyways, and the picture quality is..ahm...like the tape. Oh, and the shining white "MP" logo they added, showing on the upper left of the screen all the time, huh.

I listened the audio through my headphones while watching the DVD, and by itself, it's fine and clear. Unfortunately the audio track has the same goofy mixing the original VHS had, audience noises covering everything on few spots.

Say, Skezza, you're from England so you might well remember the old Super channel? They used to show all these live concerts and one of them was the Ultimate Ozzy show, which I also managed to tape. What was interesting was that the concert was real live, not like on the official video release. The song order was different and of course none of those pasted video clips of Ozzy wandering around. Some of the camera angles were also different, so it gave kinda like another view to the same old show. Too bad the ad breaks simply cut out some parts of the concert, like most of Jakes solo, another great one.

Well, gotta get my VHS-2-DVD machine going, so I can bring back all those old tapes.
The Ultimate Ozzy DVD is certainly not the concert as it was played. Im sure it was shown on MTV in its original format with The Ultimate Sin as it was Live etc etc. So yes, i know the one your talking about. I never actually saw it live though, that could be a good tape to bring back on DVD ;)

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby rice_pudding » Thu May 29, 2008 5:33 am

bad luck with the bad copy :|

just a general question, I see copys of this dvd on ebay quite a bit (have one myself :) ) but why dont the osbournes release there own copy?

i mean its the best live footage of ozzy i've seen, better than the no more tours video or budokan anyway. It seems strange they wouldnt put it out?!

am i missing something...

Rob

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Nikki_Saixx » Thu May 29, 2008 2:49 pm

Well, that's why Wikipedia says, that Ozzy changed Tommy Aldridge to Carmine Appice, and Carmine plays on this Salt Lake City gig...

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu May 29, 2008 11:25 pm

Nikki_Saixx wrote:Well, that's why Wikipedia says, that Ozzy changed Tommy Aldridge to Carmine Appice, and Carmine plays on this Salt Lake City gig...

ehh ... no? ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby skezza » Fri May 30, 2008 7:42 am

ok, Tommy is on drums for the Salt Lake show trust me :P and for the US Festival which is funny because ones in 83 and one is in 84, that shows how short Carmines time was. If you want to see a show with Carmine on drums look for the Dortmund 83 show.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Nikki_Saixx » Fri May 30, 2008 9:32 am

Yes-yes, Tommy does his drum solo without sticks on "Bark at the Moon" DVD...
Dortmund is great, but SHORT!! :( I love Carmine's playing more, than Tommy's. Fell in love with his playing after hearing BLUE MURDER stuff :)

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby bubbles » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:16 pm

Nikki_Saixx wrote:I love Carmine's playing more, than Tommy's
:? :cry:

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Nikki_Saixx » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:09 pm

Don't be sad, bubbles! It's just my opinion and preference :) I think, Appice is not so famous as Tommy, cos he didn't play with such hard-rock monsters as Whitesnake, and did for a very short time with Ozzy. Anyway, he stands in the beginnings of heavy-drumming before many famous drummers.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby bubbles » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:36 pm

Nikki_Saixx wrote:Don't be sad, bubbles! It's just my opinion and preference :) I think, Appice is not so famous as Tommy, cos he didn't play with such hard-rock monsters as Whitesnake, and did for a very short time with Ozzy. Anyway, he stands in the beginnings of heavy-drumming before many famous drummers.

This is the man who co-wrote 'If you think Im sexy' with Rod Stewart :lol:

No as a drummer I found his playing a little overstated, Tommy is a fantastic drummer who just plays just enough. I also find that Carminne plays nothing new but Tommy has invented whole new teqhniques.

Return to All things Jake E Lee...