Are we sure Jake used JCM800's on tour?

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Are we sure Jake used JCM800's on tour?

Postby Gonzo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:01 am

I have seen pics of JMP full stacks next to his JCM800 full stack and I`m not sure if they are master volume or non master. Also, I am not sure which he used for clean and which for distortion. I have been playing a Randy Rhoads 1959 Marshall on 10 for the past few days and that sounds more like Jake's tone (going into normal input with no cascade mod). Could Jake of toured with non mv JMP's?

Anyone clear this up for me?

Killer of Giants

Re: Are we sure Jake used JCM800's on tour?

Postby MetalHead » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:10 am

didn't Jakes tech at the time clear this up ?
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby Gonzo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:39 am

No idea. I want to find out.

Postby jefnel1 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:06 am

Yes since the Ozzy days, Jake used bone stock JCM800's - 1 master, 1 slave in a rack case. Those orange Marshalls were fully functional, but mostly for show.

His tech told me that Jake tried out a JCM900 one night while on the Ultimate Sin tour, but blew it up during soundcheck. I still have the email from the tech somewhere - I'll post it if I can find it...
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:58 am

jefnel1 wrote:His tech told me that Jake tried out a JCM900 one night while on the Ultimate Sin tour, but blew it up during soundcheck. I still have the email from the tech somewhere - I'll post it if I can find it...

Jesus christ, what does Jake do to amps :o didn't he swap to 5150's because of blowing up Marshalls :P
How can he make so many die?

Postby skezza » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:10 pm

by turning up to ten ;) Always wears out the output transformer :) also if he used a powerbreak then...
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:47 pm

_will_ wrote:Jesus christ, what does Jake do to amps :o didn't he swap to 5150's because of blowing up Marshalls :P
How can he make so many die?

i think the switch to 5150's may have been for the
purpose of a new sound :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby Gonzo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:14 am

jefnel1 wrote:Yes since the Ozzy days, Jake used bone stock JCM800's - 1 master, 1 slave in a rack case. Those orange Marshalls were fully functional, but mostly for show.

His tech told me that Jake tried out a JCM900 one night while on the Ultimate Sin tour, but blew it up during soundcheck. I still have the email from the tech somewhere - I'll post it if I can find it...

Theres some pics with JMP's in the background for TUS tour which is what confused me.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:24 pm

Interesting & very music tech talk about Jake E. Lee's music gear: sounds intriqueing and I bet JAKE really rattled the music venues w/his high power volume groove'...'it's cool his able to "hear" after gearing up everything to octave 15 & over sound. It seems that the Rebel guitarist Jake E. Lee is also a Mad Scientist of Marshall Amps in which he is heavily associated with: all master guitarists (Satriani, Impelliteri, Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wylde and his Royale highnest Yngwie Malmsteen, Blues Icon legend Bo Diddly etc.,.) really digg their music instruments & gears of choice it shows in their joy of bringing the music to the public. 8) Peace.

All Access Member

Postby Gonzo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:22 am

http://www.jakeelee.com/html/index.php? ... fullsize=1

See here, 2 JMP stacks and 1 JCM800 stack

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:43 am

stage props ? ;)

All Access Member

Postby Gonzo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:11 am

MetalHead wrote:stage props ? ;)

They have mics on them though whereas the 800 doesn't. So I`m guessing the JMP's were mic'ed up for recording/PA and the JCM was for props?

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:01 am

i still do believe what the gear page says 8)

Postby jefnel1 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:41 am

We'll never know for sure. Jake probably doesn't even remember what was used. Just because the mic'd cabinets have heads sitting on top doesn't mean there isn't a rack placed behind them with other amps driving the mic'd speakers. We all know Jake was/is an experimental player when it comes to sound, so we'll probably never know what was really connected to what.

We do know that the Orange 1959's Jake used in Badlands were props, even though they were powered up and ready to go. Who knows...maybe he even played through them some nights? From what we know of Jake, he keeps his options open and maintains flexibility in his gear. Any player knows that the same setup doesn't work at every venue...you have to adjust the mic placement, cabinet direction, etc., etc, depending on the acoutstics of the venue.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

All Access Member

Postby Gonzo » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:58 am

I guess so. I really like his Dortmund '83 tone. That looks like a Plexi behind him and it sounds like one, so raw and powerful.

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...