Guitar World looking to tab Ozzy song

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Re: Guitar World looking to tab Ozzy song

Postby evilaudio » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:24 pm

Jake67 wrote:The last day Ultimate Sin was leading Miracle Man 17% to 13%.

As far as I know, the only time we get an "official" result is when the winning song shows up in the magazine.

With lead times what they are for magazines, it could be a number of months before we see the song.

months? 8O
My attention span lasts mere seconds.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:31 pm

A new poll is up for Aerosmith.

Can you believe that Walk This Way is in a huge lead with 49%?

Nothing like people voting for a song that has been tabbed hundreds of times over the years. What a waste.

All Access Member

Postby mojave » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:54 am

Yup

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby evilaudio » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:53 pm

Jake67 wrote:A new poll is up for Aerosmith.

Can you believe that Walk This Way is in a huge lead with 49%?

Nothing like people voting for a song that has been tabbed hundreds of times over the years. What a waste.

That's one of the many reasons I don't buy guitar magazines anymore.
Same tabs over and over, too many ads, and a bunch of articles that basically tell you things you already know.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:45 pm

Well, there is always guitar pro tabs and the Ultimate Guitar website to deviate from the norm.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:25 am

> Well, there is always guitar pro tabs and the Ultimate Guitar website to deviate from the norm.

Oh man... to me that is the norm!

I just discovered that combo this year. As someone who tinkers around on bass, guitar, drums and keyboards, the UG site and a program like Guitar Pro 5 is pure heaven.

I'm in awe of the effort that people put into songs that can have up to 10 or more instrument channels represented.

And then the benefit of a program like GP5 where you can slow down a section and gradually speed it up as you get more comfortable with a tricky part... just amazing.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby evilaudio » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:56 pm

Jake67 wrote:>.

And then the benefit of a program like GP5 where you can slow down a section and gradually speed it up as you get more comfortable with a tricky part... just amazing.

I use that pretty often. GP5 does rule. Awesome for writing too.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby JR97 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:09 pm

Where was GP when I was learning? If I was lucky, Guitar FTPM would have the song I wanted to learn. I had an old tape recorder that I busted open that had a variable pot for controlling the playback speed. Only problem was it dropped the pitch as well.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:55 pm

There was a product that I think was called Learn To Burn that was advertised in GFTPM back in the day. It would take some album or artist and break the song sections down. It came on cassette with a cheap book that had the stuff tabbed out in sections. A bit like Star Licks without the stars. :)

At the time, it was pretty cool not only because it broke things down, but because a lot of those songs weren't getting tabbed anywhere else and there was no Internet yet. (At least not one for the public.)

Interesting how things have evolved. You being able to slow down a cassette was a technological marvel compared to all the folks before us who were learning on their 33s and 45s.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:43 pm

Talking about GFTPM got me a bit sentimental, I was looking on eBay to see which back issues they had.

This is a pretty good buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guitar-for-the-Prac ... otohosting

In the picture, you can see one of the issues with Jake on the cover which was one of my first issues. If I recall, Rock & Roll Rebel was the song they transcribed.

I really liked that magazine in the 80s. By the 90s, I guess I was getting to stuck in the past... a lot of the "current" songs they were transcribing didn't do anything for me.

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:34 pm

I have that one, is a good read

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby JR97 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:02 pm

wow. I have or have had all of those issues. the purple ratt issue was my first . starting bid of only 19.99 for all 30? hmmm.... would be nice to have issues that are in good shape.

Previous

Return to All things Jake E Lee...