Breakup Interview

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member
Posts: 1643
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Breakup Interview

Postby Shadow » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:37 pm

I assume/quess when BADLANDS were making recording the "Voodoo Highway" tracks...'they had other songs that they were working on/and those just proberly got put in Jake E. Lee's vintage vault. I quess when also touring the "Voodoo Highway" album maybe they worked on the "Dusk" materials as well when sound checking. :o

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:50 am
Location: Phoenix AZ

Re: Breakup Interview

Postby gtraddict » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Dusk is Badlands's third and final album. It was originally recorded in 1992-1993 as a demo to submit to their label.

In an interview on the Racer X site, Jeff Martin talks about Dusk:

Dusk, or the tunes put on the album, were intended as demos for the next Badlands album after Voo Doo Hwy. We had worked up that group of tunes at rehearsals at Mates in North Hollywood two months before recording them at Good Night L.A by a friend of Ray's, Shea Baby.

It's all 24 track full studio recording, but we did it all in less than 6 to 8 hours. We put the Mic's up, made sure they worked and Go! We recorded them primarily for Atlantic Records to hear and give us a budget for the full recording of the same tunes, if they liked what we had. They did not like the direction of the songs, for what ever the reason. Some months later we were dropped from Atlantic.

At the time we were happy with that outcome and so was the Management, being that Atlantic was not doing anything for us anyway. We shopped new prospects.

Almost every song was one-take recordings. I remember having floor Tom mic problems where we stopped to fix it, then restarted a song. But all in all, one takes. Even some endings were a little funky on my end, but Jake just flagged it off and we go to the next tune. I think Jake is the only one who did not make one mistake...if he did I did not hear it.

Ray had about 50% of his lyrics together. The rest were what he called Jib-A-Jab. He would put a word or two on the front of a line and rest were all vowels. He was amazing at it, and most folks never could tell the difference. He would come up with his melody line by Jib-A-Jabbing. I think he had a harder time finding lyrics that fit his Jabbing, due to the timing and the percussive hooks he would come up with while scatting along.

Nothing on Dusk was fixed, that Ray did, obviously due to his passing before the putting together of the tracks. For him to sound like what you hear on the album one take each tune, still amazes me to no end. He was one you could say had true talent, pitch and tone.

Jeff commented on the song Sun Red Sun:

One thing I must comment about Dusk is a vision I see in my mind every time some brings up the project or I listen to it myself.

During the beginning of the song Sun Red Sun, while Jake was doing the intro, I could see Ray in the Vocal booth through a glass partition sitting on a stool giving me that charismatic smile of his. His arm held out in front of him and running his index finger back and forth across ten or twelve thin silver Indian bracelets he always wore.

That's the chimes you hear in the track.

The demo tracks to Dusk were released posthumously on December 15, 1998.
Image

Rock N' Roll Rebel
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Breakup Interview

Postby gillenfan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:06 pm

Acording to interviews with Jeff Martin,All Ray wanted was to work on some other songs-He felt would put Badlands on the map. No backstabbaing involved.

Ultimate Sinner
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: North America

Re: Breakup Interview

Postby Jake67 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:24 pm

> They did not like the direction of the songs, for what ever the reason.

Another classic case of a record company really not having a clue as to what the fans would like. We're not talking Top-40 pop music that fits into a template of what's hot at the moment. But unless you have a real rebel or outside-the-box thinker at a company, everything tends to filtered through that "is it a big selling hit?" tunnel vision.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with a record company trying to maximize their investment. But given the musical climate of the time, I'm not sure what they were expecting out of a band like Badlands in terms of sales.

Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:59 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Breakup Interview

Postby Greg » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:18 pm

I agrree.

All Access Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Breakup Interview

Postby jctaudiodesigns » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:13 pm

I absolutely love the record, it is the record I seem to have in my cd player the most.

All Access Member
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: springfield il

Re: Breakup Interview

Postby harddriver » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:55 am

I mean we all think Jake is a great player but maybe he is a jerk. Or maybe Ray wasnt the nicest guy in tha world back then either. But who knows what realy goes on in band situations with all those egos flyin around. But Jake has made some realy kind and heartfelt remamarks about ray since his passing so all that syuff that was said in the early '90s doesnt really amount to ha hill of beans really.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: Niagara Falls

Re: Breakup Interview

Postby MrScary1971 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:41 pm

harddriver wrote:I mean we all think Jake is a great player but maybe he is a jerk. Or maybe Ray wasnt the nicest guy in tha world back then either. But who knows what realy goes on in band situations with all those egos flyin around. But Jake has made some realy kind and heartfelt remamarks about ray since his passing so all that syuff that was said in the early '90s doesnt really amount to ha hill of beans really.


I agree, sometimes the people the closest to us hurt us the most causing us to say things brought upon by emotion. A lot of talent, ego, and tension in a great band, not unlike many other talented bands. Look at Sabbath, Deep Purple, Van Halen, GnR, Kiss, etc etc.

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Breakup Interview

Postby Snowy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:35 pm

MrScary1971 wrote:
harddriver wrote:I mean we all think Jake is a great player but maybe he is a jerk. Or maybe Ray wasnt the nicest guy in tha world back then either. But who knows what realy goes on in band situations with all those egos flyin around. But Jake has made some realy kind and heartfelt remamarks about ray since his passing so all that syuff that was said in the early '90s doesnt really amount to ha hill of beans really.


I agree, sometimes the people the closest to us hurt us the most causing us to say things brought upon by emotion. A lot of talent, ego, and tension in a great band, not unlike many other talented bands. Look at Sabbath, Deep Purple, Van Halen, GnR, Kiss, etc etc.


Well put, fellas.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Happy Bunny. Copy and paste him into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Previous

Return to All things Jake E Lee...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest