Jake v Ozzy

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Jake v Ozzy

Postby pejale » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:29 pm

it's from the album the ultimate sin in my eye's 1 of the best produced albums ozzy as ever done it's a shame jake e lee wont give ozzy the rights to song's on the album !!!!!! that's why you never see any song's off the sin album on any of ozzy's best of's

Found this comment on youtube. Anyone know if there is any truth in this?? :?

All Access Member

Re: Jake v Ozzy

Postby cleric » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:07 pm

Not true at all.

[Best of Ozz] has 2 songs from TUS.
[Prince of Darkness]has 3 songs.
[The Ozzman Cometh]has 1 song.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:04 pm

pejale wrote:it's from the album the ultimate sin in my eye's 1 of the best produced albums ozzy as ever done it's a shame jake e lee wont give ozzy the rights to song's on the album !!!!!! that's why you never see any song's off the sin album on any of ozzy's best of's

Found this comment on youtube. Anyone know if there is any truth in this?? :?

It's Phil Soussan that owns the rights to Shot In The Dark
and maybe that's why Ozzy has ditched that album ? ;) :P
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:40 pm

yeah completely wrong....jake sold his rights to sharon and ozzy when he left, so he got a lump sum payment

phil soussan owns the rights to SITD as was stated above.....

it all comes down to the osbournes....they can use whatever songs they want, they just don't like the idea that someone else will make money from it

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:43 am

speaking of Shot In The Dark ... does anyone know when he stopped
playing that one ?
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:03 pm

pretty sure he stopped playing it after the "no more tears" tour

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:31 pm

There's some pretty awesome songs on the OZZY's The Ultimate Sin album recording all of them are master Classic's don't see why Ozzy don't have a good selection of some of the songs on his best of's albums...'he used to not so long ago. I like all the early Classics from OZZY & his co-works with master trailblazer's Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee and Zakk Wylde and plus other legendary musicians like Daisley, Kerslake, Sousson, Castillo, Aldridge etc.,. that helped launched Ozzy Osbourne/the legendary Prince of Darkness mega music Career. So it would be fittin' to see their Classic co-works added to the best list every now & then. 8)

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:55 am

Anybody notice how "The Prince of Darkness' " career has become null and void since his wife started showing her ass?!
Everyone will love you, just as long as you are a shooting star.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:15 am

I've always been a bit fascinated with an artist's relationship with their back catalog.

Some artists live completely in the past in that a new album seems to only be an excuse to go out and tour while mostly playing what guitarist Neal Schon refers to as "The Dirty Dozen"... those songs that fans seem to demand even though they've been played for decades in some cases.

Other artists are more hard-core that they're a "current band" and focus much of the attention on the new album. Iron Maiden and Dream Theater come to mind.

And then there are folks like Ozzy who seem to intentionally want to block out certain segments of their career as if they never happened.

The Ultimate Sin is my favorite Ozzy album, almost 100% because of Jake's playing. But I probably would have never heard of the album had the videos not been on MTV all the time. It seems to me that was a popular time for Ozzy as he plugged into that glam aspect (at least in his look) that was popular at that point for metal in the 80s.

I used to think that if I were an artist with a large back-catalog, I'd try to pull at least one song from every album to keep everyone happy at a concert and focus most on the new material. But hardly anyone seems to do that, so I guess that's a bad theory on my part.

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:41 pm

Ozzy should have stopped after Ozzmosis back in 95.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:48 am

I must say, Jake, your points were very well stated! I, too, have caught my self pondering the approach of the more established bands to live performance. Towards the main thrust of your post, I certainly agree with you when you say that some of the older musical careers seem to "boil down," so to speak, to creativity or ego. For example, what can you expect to hear when you go to see a band that parted ways after eighteen albums, ten years ago?!
Your employment of the Neal Schon quote to define your perspective was waaay too funny; although, I am certain that not every band can claim a "dirty dozen!" LOL In addressing that Ozzy style of artist/ musical career maturation, I think the older or more established a band becomes, the considerably deeper the gross sales column likely becomes, and to that end, sales ( or the music that stirs up the most shit) dictate(s) the material to play; therefore, the older or more established a band gets, the less you hear out of them - even while they remain vigorous enough to get out and play. Yet, everybody appreciates them as much as they used to, even when they don't play all the same songs that they used to. I don't know. Whatever. :roll:
Everyone will love you, just as long as you are a shooting star.

Postby switchone » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:54 pm

MetalHead wrote:speaking of Shot In The Dark ... does anyone know when he stopped
playing that one ?

Shot in the Dark Original

So i guess Phil Stoussan ripped off shot in the dark from these guys? Check out the song on youtube.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:17 pm

Wow, that's an interesting video. I hate to try and be a mind-reader, but if this is true, how does one figure they can get away with it?

There was another recent case with a guy I think is brilliant on guitar: Gary Moore. It appears he nicked a part of a song that I had always thought was one of his finest moments. Guess it was someone else's finest moment first. :)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BLABBE ... mID=110167

Postby switchone » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:24 pm

Jake67 wrote:Wow, that's an interesting video. I hate to try and be a mind-reader, but if this is true, how does one figure they can get away with it?

There was another recent case with a guy I think is brilliant on guitar: Gary Moore. It appears he nicked a part of a song that I had always thought was one of his finest moments. Guess it was someone else's finest moment first. :)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BLABBE ... mID=110167

Well they did get away with it, maybe thats why Phil and Sharon don't get along.... "Phil Soussan also brought a lawsuit against Ozzy and even got into a physical confrontation with Sharon at Randy Castillo's funeral.[25]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozzy#Early_solo_career

A similar case is with Cold Play and Joe Satriana with the Song Via La Vida. Check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvB9Pj9Znsw

Shot in the Dark is still my favorite song.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:47 pm

I like the origional version of "Shot In the Dark" from OZZY Ultimate Sin album...'this other version/I quess it's a tribute and a very well made one, too. Anyway, I like the fiery version of "Shot In the Dark" with Jake E. Lee 'blazing away on the guitar along w/the other Classic songs on it like "The Ultimate Sin" which is my favorite on that particular album vintage. 8)

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...