Badlands/Metal Mania

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Badlands/Metal Mania

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:38 pm

Don't know if anyone happened to catch Metal Mania on VH1 Classic this weekend, it was hosted by Eddie Trunk and his co-hosts from That Metal Show, and they talked a bit about Badlands and Jake. They all had very high praise for the band and all agreed that the first 2 Badlands albums were great records. Eddie also mentioned the "Dusk" album (though not by name) and talked about how everyone loved Jake and how a lot of people would like to see him again. They ended by playing the video for "Dreams In The Dark". I thought it was very nice to finally see Jake and Badlands given some long overdue praise and also that Eddie Trunk recognizes that alot of people would like to see Jake again. Kind of along the same lines, I got my 91 Badlands concert dvd (Chicago) about 2 weeks ago and have not been able to quit watching it (it has actually overtaken my Doug Aldrich/Whitesnake dvd as my fav), I have been a Jake fan from the US Festival on, and a huge Badlands fan (Voodoo Highway is such a great record), but I was surprised at just how good the were live (I never got to see them or Jake w/Ozzy). If you don't have this dvd and are a Jake/Badlands fan, you need to get it.

All Access Member

Re: Badlands/Metal Mania

Postby harddriver » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:07 pm

Hey tedeeo how ya doin ? Id love to see Jake back doin some writing and touring again also but im startin to think its never gonna happen. The man is in his 50's now and im not to sure if being a "rock star" was ever something he really cared for. Its been years since he has toured or written and recorded anything original and wel probably just have to hang on to his past recordings and wander what might have been.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:46 am

Hey Harddriver,

I really didn't have any of what you said in mind when I posted but you do bring up some good points. After seeing what some of my friends (as well as myself), have gone through in the music business I could not blame Jake for wanting to stay out of it. It is however, nice to see a t.v. show, book or some other form of media acknowledge how good Jake and/or his bands were.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:32 am

It's kind of interesting to see how some of the older artists are making a living in a time where album sales are not what they used to be.

Some of the classic rock acts can tour constantly just based on their back catalog. A new album is really just an excuse to start a new tour to primarily play the old songs. *cough*Deep Purple*cough*

You've got some of the 80's shredders making a decent living in Japan like Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman.

Some guys are doing constant clinic tours at music shops around the world.

Guys like Joe Lynn Turner (ex Rainbow singer) made a great living writing commercial jingles and playing corporate events.

Then you've got the few who are making some extra bucks doing those articles/videos for magazines like Guitar World.

And there are others who are keeping their legacy alive (and making some easy money) by releasing archive concerts. King Crimson is a good example of that. You can get tons of high quality live shows directly from their website.

I'm not saying Jake should do any of that. But I do think there are some options for artists who realize that it ain't the 80's no more. :)

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Metal Mania shows Badlands fairly often especially "Winter's Call". I miss the hell outta that band but without Ray it's virtually pointless and like Harddriver said Jake seems to prefer being a recluse. I keep waiting for Oilcan to post some new Youtube vids to get my Badlands fix.

\m/BADLANDS\m/

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:11 pm

Jake67 wrote:It's kind of interesting to see how some of the older artists are making a living in a time where album sales are not what they used to be.

Some of the classic rock acts can tour constantly just based on their back catalog. A new album is really just an excuse to start a new tour to primarily play the old songs. *cough*Deep Purple*cough*

You've got some of the 80's shredders making a decent living in Japan like Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman.

Some guys are doing constant clinic tours at music shops around the world.

Guys like Joe Lynn Turner (ex Rainbow singer) made a great living writing commercial jingles and playing corporate events.

Then you've got the few who are making some extra bucks doing those articles/videos for magazines like Guitar World.

And there are others who are keeping their legacy alive (and making some easy money) by releasing archive concerts. King Crimson is a good example of that. You can get tons of high quality live shows directly from their website.

I'm not saying Jake should do any of that. But I do think there are some options for artists who realize that it ain't the 80's no more. :)
That being said ...Buying tickets for Poison/Def leppard on Saturday :D Long live those glorious '80s :D

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:57 pm

That's wonderful to hear that Jake E. Lee & his highly acclaimed Western/Bayou Hard Rock & Blues band BADLANDS are getting some warm praises for their vintage works that they done in the past. Is the VH1 METAL MANIA music TV program that's Hosted by Eddie Trunk is it on the VH1 'Site as well(?) I don't have VH1 on my TV system...'so is this special showing also shown on the VH1 music Website. cheers!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:11 pm

Shadow wrote:so is this special showing also shown on the VH1 music Website. cheers!

find out ;) http://www.vh1.com/
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks for the infor, MetalHead...'I guess from there I give it my best to search this Badlands/Jake E. Lee VH1.com segment out. Peace!

Return to All things Jake E Lee...