Jake E. Lee Replica guitars

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Re: Jake E. Lee Replica guitars

Postby Fretman » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:28 pm

Deansolo wrote:I have to agree with timstar. 2% guitar 98% player.

I have this video of Scorpions in Russia...they went to this club and asked the band if they coud use their equipment. Schenker and Jabs TORE IT UP on these piece of sh*t Russian guitars and crappy little amps! It sounded just like Scorpions music.

A great player can make any piece of sh*t sound great.

just my 2 cents. :)

No question.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:36 am

hashima wrote:
MetalHead wrote:
timstar wrote:end of the day people, its about 2% the guitar and 98% the player, so who really cares

I'd say it's more 75/25 ... but I don' think anyone
would sound good with a plywood guitar and GFS pickups ;)

...look at Eddie Halen, durin 80s he used cheap "DIY-store-guitars" and did always sound good no matter which brand/pick-ups/wood/strings he took... the player him-/herself and his/her ideas/creativity are the more important thing... 20/80 :wink:

EVH ... Kramer guitars .. made of ash ... gibson pickups ...

how can this be crap ? ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:03 am

MetalHead wrote:
hashima wrote:
MetalHead wrote:
timstar wrote:end of the day people, its about 2% the guitar and 98% the player, so who really cares

...look at Eddie Halen, durin 80s he used cheap "DIY-store-guitars" and did always sound good no matter which brand/pick-ups/wood/strings he took... the player him-/herself and his/her ideas/creativity are the more important thing... 20/80 :wink:

just think about the early years before he used Kramer... and he had alot o cheap but good guitars in the studios later

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:49 am

hashima wrote:
MetalHead wrote:
hashima wrote:
MetalHead wrote:

just think about the early years before he used Kramer... and he had alot o cheap but good guitars in the studios later

let's see .. before Kramer ... it would either be the Ibanez Destroyer
or the Gibson (from which he took the humbucker and put
in Frankenstrat #1) and the first Frankenstrat was recorded
on VH1 which kinda' defined Eddies sound.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:07 am

MetalHead wrote:
hashima wrote:
MetalHead wrote:
hashima wrote:
MetalHead wrote:

right, and the Frankentraat was a Charvel body made of... öhm ash I believe... and he already had his black/white one... ya can see it on "Jamie's Cryin'" ... do you know which wood the Destroyer was made of?

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:24 am

hashima wrote:
MetalHead wrote:
hashima wrote:
MetalHead wrote:
hashima wrote:
MetalHead wrote:

right, and the Frankentraat was a Charvel body made of... öhm ash I believe... and he already had his black/white one... ya can see it on "Jamie's Cryin'" ... do you know which wood the Destroyer was made of?

The first Frankenstrat was the white one ;)
his Charvel was the black/yellow one.
The destoyer is thought to be made out of Korina.

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:28 am

I always thought his first guitar he used in VH was the Frankenstraat white/red/black made of a Charvel body and a Strat neck/head with Gibson old Gibson picks... wasn't the Bumble Bee the last of those 3 he designed?

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:38 am

hashima wrote:I always thought his first guitar he used in VH was the Frankenstraat white/red/black made of a Charvel body and a Strat neck/head with Gibson old Gibson picks... wasn't the Bumble Bee the last of those 3 he designed?

i'm pretty sure that the red one was used on VHII though.

the white one didn't even have a Floyd ;)

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:55 am

MetalHead wrote:
hashima wrote:I always thought his first guitar he used in VH was the Frankenstraat white/red/black made of a Charvel body and a Strat neck/head with Gibson old Gibson picks... wasn't the Bumble Bee the last of those 3 he designed?

the white did have a trem... though a Fender vintage... watch "Jamie's Cryin" and you'll see, you can't play the intro of it without one... but you're right on that: the black-whitey was the first, just looked it up... Neck: 25 1/2 scale 22 frets maple, w/ maple fingerboard gibson jumbo frets, the body's a northern ash I read, 500k audio potentiometer, Schaller mini inline tuners chrome

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:11 am

hashima wrote:
MetalHead wrote:

the white did have a trem... though a Fender vintage.

yup .. but still no Floyd ;)

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:15 am

MetalHead wrote:
hashima wrote:
MetalHead wrote:

the white did have a trem... though a Fender vintage.

yup .. but still no Floyd ;)

:wink: as you said

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:52 am

If I remember correctly, the guitar on the 1st album was a Charvel "kit" guitar. I remember (yeah I'm that old! :lol:) Charvel made a kit guitar which was essentially a Strat Copy. They sold for about $150.00...pretty cheap. I think the Frankenstrat was one of those. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:15 am

Deansolo wrote:If I remember correctly, the guitar on the 1st album was a Charvel "kit" guitar. I remember (yeah I'm that old! :lol:) Charvel made a kit guitar which was essentially a Strat Copy. They sold for about $150.00...pretty cheap. I think the Frankenstrat was one of those. :)

nononono :P

The guitar on the first album ... the white one ... was a Fender :)

Edward’s guitar used on the first Van Halen record was a 1959 Fender Stratocaster (January 1981,Guitar World) body updated with various parts. The bridge on this first guitar was a standard Fender tremolo bridge from a 1958 Stratocaster (Note: other reports I found on the Internet have claimed that the guitar body itself is from various other years – 1965 shows up most often).

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:27 am

Deansolo wrote:If I remember correctly, the guitar on the 1st album was a Charvel "kit" guitar. I remember (yeah I'm that old! :lol:) Charvel made a kit guitar which was essentially a Strat Copy. They sold for about $150.00...pretty cheap. I think the Frankenstrat was one of those. :)

could be right, but thanx Dean you've led the discussion back to its source, Eddie used cheap equipment at the beginning and Kramer wasn't that expensive/well known back till 1983... + he used to do pretty much by his own concernin effects and amp tuning cuz still didn't had the big cash in the late 70s... that's why I believe the player in hisself is the more important part... Van Halen ain't the only example by far :o ...sure you can get a white replica of Jake's charvelized Fenders from eBay appareled with an alder body as well as SeymourDuncan/Dimarzio pickups and sound like Jake when you are a good player and have the ability to catch his feeling he put in... and several effects he used of course... no matter whether its a DigiTech Chorus / Boss CE-3 Chorus / Ibanez CS Chorus etc.
Last edited by hashima on Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Highwire » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:32 am

Actually, there were two home made ones. The first one was used in their later club days. Eddie made it himself with butchered Fender and Gibson stuff. The second one, as seen on Van Halen was assembled from parts bought from Wayne Charvel (factory 2nd body for $50/neck for $80), a vintage Fender tremolo and a Gibson p-up Eddie had laying around. He also cut his own pickguard. After the first VH tour, Eddie taped it up and sprayed it red because he got sick of companies copying it. He also added an original Floyd, turning it into the mutt we all know and love.

The Destroyer was Korina, and was used for the majority of the songs which didn't have any whammy stuff.

The Yellow and Black was made in the Charvel factory. Eddie didn't particularly like the sound of that one, possibly because the p-up was mounted too close to the bridge (original non-fine tuner Floyd).

Yes, I know way too much about this stuff. :roll:

Check out eddievanhalen.com for more info. It's a fan guitar based site. They even have a do it yourself section on how to build any Eddie replica you want.

I'd still rather have a Jake Blue-burst though :D
"I could swear I heard the darkness call my name..."
Devil's Stomp

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...