Phil Soussan on Jake...

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Phil Soussan on Jake...

Postby DemonAGoGo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:01 am

All Access Member

Re: Phil Soussan on Jake...

Postby harddriver » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:17 pm

You say " not much " but that bit about Jake was the most informative ive ever heard as to why Jake was let go by Ozzy. And it sounds to me like Jake should shoulder most of the blame. Dude just sounds like a real stick in the mud to me and probably not very likeable or any fun to be around. Still one of my heroes on the Axe though and hopefully he isnt done recording just yet. Thanks for posting that very interesting interview Mr Demon :D

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby DemonAGoGo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:46 am

True, there was quite a bit said there. That was such a great Ozzy line-up...

Still, without Jake being let go, we would never have had the best band ever...Badlands

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:18 am

I'm not sure what the problem is...no mention of violence drugs or drink...all the things Ozzy is guilty of...so Jake didn't want to Socialize with them..maybe he thought overdosing on the "Rockstar " life unimportant
Maybe Jake Just wanted to Play Guitar and Not get involved with the excess that Ozzy so Clearly expects...Zakk has his Problems Probably caused Being Being in the Ozzy Band
I have yet to hear of Jake not delivering live or in the studio Which again Ozzy is...I suspect it's differnt when it's ones name above the Door!
I assume that Phil is harbouring thoughts of joining future Ozzfests with his "new" band!

All Access Member

Postby pejale » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:48 am

Most of us have jobs that require us to be at work at a certain time though. Jake was no exception,at the end of the day he was a hired hand by the o$bourne's,part of that job required him to travel all over the world and play to thousands of people,certainly better than the job i do!! Part of that job was to turn up for rehearsals with your fellow workers.ie band members.
I don't like being at work and i don't like some of the people and things i have to do,but if i don't work i don't get paid,i lose my job etc.etc.etc.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:48 am

It's been said many times that bands are just like a family.

I can appreciate it if Jake wanted to avoid some potential wildness on the road, keep his head down and just do his job. (The being late part rubs me the wrong way, though. That's disrespectful to everyone else.)

But I can also understand that someone separating himself from the rest of the band can cause questions and even a bit of tension. The other band members, to a degree, start to feel that they're walking on pins and needles.

I may be mistaken, but I can't ever recall Ozzy ripping on Jake to any great degree. It's always been that Jake seemed quiet and distant, and things just didn't work out.

Fair enough. Thanks for the memories and all that...

Postby switchone » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:24 am

Jake E Lee, is a Capricorn. Thats his astrological sign. Read up on the behavior of a Capricornian male and you'll see the pieces fit as to why Jake acts the way he does, he's a capricorn, he can't help it. =)

"Don't need no astrology, its inside of you and me" - Ozzy

That pretty much says it all.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/understa ... avior.html

"
The Capricorn man is not the party animal, but he would surely be seen at social gatherings. He would be the quiet and calm person at the party rather the flashy and flamboyant types. He would not be the one who would be at the forefront at such dos. He would be the one who watches such events calmly and quietly!"

Now doesn't that explain alot?

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:15 pm

switchone wrote:Jake E Lee, is a Capricorn. Thats his astrological sign. Read up on the behavior of a Capricornian male and you'll see the pieces fit as to why Jake acts the way he does, he's a capricorn, he can't help it. =)

"Don't need no astrology, its inside of you and me" - Ozzy

That pretty much says it all.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/understa ... avior.html

"
The Capricorn man is not the party animal, but he would surely be seen at social gatherings. He would be the quiet and calm person at the party rather the flashy and flamboyant types. He would not be the one who would be at the forefront at such dos. He would be the one who watches such events calmly and quietly!"

Now doesn't that explain alot?

No, it doesn't explain much ... Jake is an Aquarius.

Positive Traits

• Friendly and humanitarian
• Honest and loyal
• Original and inventive
• Independent and intellectual

Negative Traits

• Intractable and contrary
• Perverse and unpredictable
• Unemotional and detached

Aquarius Likes : fame and recognition, personal privacy, rainbows, dreams, magic, change for its own sake, eccentricity, surprises, and living within their means despite the many temptations which constantly surround them every waking moment.

Aquarius Dislikes : emotion and intimacy, people who show off, being taken for granted, being pinned down, violence and fighting, and senseless or purposeless extravagance of any sort.

Important Parameters

Lucky Number - 2

Lucky Color - Red

Lucky Flower - Snowdrop, foxglove, gentian

Lucky Gemstone - Amethyst

Lucky Day - Thursday

General features

A typical Aquarius has the attribute of intense desire to communicate. You are a bit tactless and rude if you don't learn to moderate your constant broadcasting around those whose opinions may be a bit more on the conservative side. You are interesting and attractive. You can be shy, sensitive, gentle and patient or enthusiastic and lively with a tendency to be exhibitionists. Both types are strong willed and forceful in its own way. You are very opinionated with strong convictions and fight for what you believe. You are farsighted and innovative. You are generally without prejudice and quite tolerant of others' point of view. They are good listeners, and care deeply for their friends. To people they are not close to however, they can be somewhat detached. The Aquarius sun sign is true blue and loyal. They are one of the first to sign up to serve their country, and will give their lives defending her.

You are truly humane and known to be frank and outspoken. You are refined and idealistic, romantic and practical, personable and likable person. Being quick in mind and responding, you love activity and are quite reasonable in that. They can be counted on to come up with original ideas. They make good designers and inventors as well as musicians. These intellectuals excel in the arts as well as the technical trades. You cherish and guard your independence and are a strange mixture of caring concern and cool detachment. You will go out of your way to help when needed but will never get emotionally involved.

Postby switchone » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Sorry, my astrological understanding is different than most.

http://www.love-astrology.com/13th-sign ... 13th-sign/

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:01 pm

On the subject of why Jake was let go from Ozzy just remember there are 2 sides to every story. I've heard an awful lot of mudslinging directed at Jake by several famous and even more not so famous people, I've never really heard Jake say anything bad about anybody connected with his time with Ozzy, to me that speaks volumes. As I recall not to long ago Phil could only say bad things about Ozz and Sharon and at one point said that "although Jake was not willing to talk about things that happened, he was". Strange to me that for all these years he has had nothing to say about Jake, good or bad, and now this shows up. Bear in mind also that Phil has motivation to settle things over with the Osbourne camp (Shot in the Dark royalties) and also that he and Jake left or were let go from Ozzy's band at the same time. I don't personally know any of these people so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, it's just one fan's take on the situation and I could be completely wrong.

Ted

All Access Member

Postby pejale » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:52 am

I would disagree on a couple of points. I can't ever really remember reading anyone,famous or infamous including the o$bourne's ever really giving Jake a hard time when he left. They were credited on the 1st Badlands lp if i remember correctly. Randy Castillo on the metal-sludge site 20 questions said when asked about Jake,"An enigma,played some great guitar and left" hardly a slagging.
Onto Phil Soussan,maybe he hasn't been asked too many times about Jake,or when he has it hasn't been publicly aired.(remember,we are now in the age of internet and back then we had but a few magazines for all our info)
Also,from what i recall,Phil left the band after Jake,("musical differences" from my memory!!) as i have seen photo's of Phil and Zakk in the same band. One i remember was the 12 inch 4 track ep released just before "No rest.."? But like you,i don't know any of them personally and is just what my faded memory chooses to remember!!!
Regards

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:57 am

As I recall, Ozzy slammed Jake pretty hard after he was "let go", so did Sharon, so much so that Jake didn't really want anything to do with the music business until Ray and his mother got in touch with Jake. As far as credits on the Badlands record, Ozzy gave Jake his break and Jake was classy enough to acknowledge that. Phil was gone basically at the same time, neither appearred on "No Rest For The Wicked", so for all intensive purposes they were gone at the same time, I do not remember the 4 track ep but I'm sure you are right about that. Phil left because of disagreements with the Osbourne's over songwrighting royalties, i.e. "musical differences, probably why he didn't appear on "NRFTW", and he did talk about it some in interviews but at that time he had nothing bad to say about Jake. I just find it strange that Phil brings this up now, and like I said Phil has reasons to be in the Osbourne's good graces also. Randy Castillo was a class guy, I would not expect anything less from him. When I said "famous people", it was not meant as everyone who has played with Jake, as a matter of fact most people who have worked with him outside of Ozzy say just the opposite. And I will say also in recent years Ozzy's attitude toward Jake has been more complimentary, maybe he's more sober than he was when Jake was let go, who knows. As far as not so famous people, just go read through some boards, even a few post on here have been negative towards Jake, not saying people can't have an opinion, just saying.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby bubbles » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:03 am

To add my own opinion to what Phil said about Jake and his participation (or lack of it) with the band, Phil can only comment on jakes last period of working with Ozzy and not about the pre-Phil Jake/Ozzy band which limits how much we should give credit to Phils opninion.

Jake joined Ozzy in late December 1982 and was playing his first live shows in 16th January 1983 his last show being on Feb 23rd 1987

In that time he participated in 3 world tours and recorded 2 albums and 2 live video releases.

whilst he was the guitarist with Ozzy these are the songs he perfected and performed live during 1983-1987

'I Don't Know'
'Mr Crowley'
'Crazy Train'
'Revelation'
'Steal Away'
'Suicide Solution'
'Over the Mountain'
'Flying High Again'
'Believer'
'Bark At The Moon'
'Rock 'N' Roll Rebel'
'Forever'
'So Tired'
'Killer Of Giants'
'Thank God For The Bomb'
'Never'
'Shot In The Dark'
'Secret Loser'
'The Ultimate Sin'
'Never Know why'
'Iron Man'
'Children Of The Grave'
'War Pigs'
'Faries wear Boots'
'Paranoid'

He played with 3 Key's players Lyndsey Bridgewater, Don Airey & John Sinclair
He worked with 3 Drummers, Tommy Aldridge, Carmine Appice & Randy Castilo.
Add to these 3 Bass players, the great Bob Daisley, don Costa & Phil Sousan.

This does not really demonstrate Jake was lazy, it shows just how hard working and dedicated Jake was because when you consider the time some musicians have spent in the Ozzy band Jake was quiet long stayed. And it really makes you consider that after so much dedication what led to Jake losing heart in this band?

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:48 am

First off, don't take any of my posts as saying anyone who has commented on this is right or wrong, everybody has a different perspective on a given situation be it Jake, Phil, or me and anybody on this site, and I certainly mean no disrespect to anyone. I think there are many things about Jake's time with Ozzy (esp. at the end) that we will never know. Me personally, I have to agree with DemonAGoGo, had Jake not been "cut loose" from Ozzy, there would have most likely not been a "Badlands", and that would be a shame. I just hope we'll see Jake again in 2010.

Ted

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:50 pm

bubbles wrote:This does not really demonstrate Jake was lazy, it shows just how hard working and dedicated Jake was because when you consider the time some musicians have spent in the Ozzy band Jake was quiet long stayed. And it really makes you consider that after so much dedication what led to Jake losing heart in this band?

compare that to Zakk Wylde that was on and off with Ozzy
for 20+ years, and all the sideprojects he has had.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...