Rock Pop Festival Dortmund

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Rock Pop Festival Dortmund

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:00 pm

Rock Pop Festival Dortmund, West Germany 1983 featuring: Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Krokus, Scorpions, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest, Quiet Riot, Michael Schenker Group (MSG).

This has been put up on youtube. some great stuff especially MSG and Quiet Riot!

The Ozzy stuffs great - Jake is awesome on BATM. good quality too! :D

Centre Of Eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4cuYReB ... re=related
Bark at the Moon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXV0K3Bw ... re=related
Iron Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EBb-SK8 ... re=related
Paranoid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kzmb1ur ... re=related
"Hello this is Robbin Crosby from RATT, and when you're in your car remember to buckle up for safety, ITS THE LAW!"

All Access Member

Re: Rock Pop Festival Dortmund

Postby tedeeoo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:28 pm

The clips I've seen from this show are fantastic, Jake is absolutely on fire, and if memory serves me correct Carmine is playing drums on this, which is cool (although I prefer Tommy).

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:22 am

What a youngster!

Jake was always on fire with Ozzy. The only time I ever witnessed a subdued Jake was a Badlands show.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:03 am

Doobie wrote:What a youngster!

Jake was always on fire with Ozzy. The only time I ever witnessed a subdued Jake was a Badlands show.

I agree with the Ozzy statement, the Salt Lake City BATM show is one of the best shows I have ever seen, I have to say though, Badlands was the sh#!. The 91 Chicago show that I got from here is beyond description, Jake's playing on that show is so unbelievable, he reminds me of Stevie Ray Vaughan (on this show) in the sense that it seems like the music is just "flowing" out of him. Maybe a little less "show" about him to some people but to me that show (Badlands) is everything I look for in a guitar player/musician.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby bubbles » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:47 am

I have problems litening to this show because I think Carmines drumming is really painful.

All Access Member

Postby Astrid » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:27 am

tedeeoo wrote:
Doobie wrote:What a youngster!

I agree with the Ozzy statement, the Salt Lake City BATM show is one of the best shows I have ever seen, I have to say though, Badlands was the sh#!. The 91 Chicago show that I got from here is beyond description, Jake's playing on that show is so unbelievable, he reminds me of Stevie Ray Vaughan (on this show) in the sense that it seems like the music is just "flowing" out of him. Maybe a little less "show" about him to some people but to me that show (Badlands) is everything I look for in a guitar player/musician.

I was at that show in Chicago! I bought the DVD so I could relive the memories. This was the last time I ever saw Jake live. I also felt that he could carry on both his own legacy as well as SRVs. (I still remember where I was and what I was doing the moment I heard SRV died. I was devastated.) The sad thing is I almost mourn the absence of Jake's music the way I do Stevie's.

I have recently been talking to some online Jake fans on Youtube and we've been discussing Jake's onstage exuberance with Ozzy as compared to how subdued (but awesome) he was in Badlands. We all agree that it was partly his youth but I also think it was also something Ozzy and Sharon probably demanded of him. Kind of like "earn your bread, kid". Ozzy always seemed to have a specific vibe for each tour. I think Jake acted more serious in Badlands because he wanted to be taken seriously, but I also can't help but think he had some of the piss taken out of him after his rough times with Ozzy. In some ways I almost see Jake as two different people - D.O. and A.O. (During Oz and After Oz).

A

All Access Member

Postby Astrid » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:29 am

Btw, CSS, thanks for posting those links! This is the best quality I've found of this performance. Muchas Gracias!

A

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:23 pm

I never really thought of Jake as being subdued with Badlands, just more intense. You also have to take into account that most of Badlands shows were in smaller venues than Ozzy's so you don't cover as much stage. I told someone on ultimaterhoads.com, that the position with Ozzy demanded that Jake have a huge stage presence, I think he was maybe the only person who could have ever stepped into that position and pulled it off not just well, but ridiculously well. To me, his stage presence in Badlands was just as powerful, but in a different kind of way, I have been playing guitar for 28 years now, I've seen nearly every great guitar player you can think of in some form be it live, dvd or whatever. When I watch that Chicago show I see a guitar player, much like SRV, who was in complete command of his instrument and the stage, no longer in anyone's shadow, but casting the shadow for everyone else to try and step out of. Badlands was as honest a rock band as we will likely ever see, nothing false about them, and Jake's presence on stage reflected as much.

All Access Member

Postby Astrid » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:43 pm

tedeeoo wrote:I never really thought of Jake as being subdued with Badlands, just more intense. You also have to take into account that most of Badlands shows were in smaller venues than Ozzy's so you don't cover as much stage. I told someone on ultimaterhoads.com, that the position with Ozzy demanded that Jake have a huge stage presence, I think he was maybe the only person who could have ever stepped into that position and pulled it off not just well, but ridiculously well. To me, his stage presence in Badlands was just as powerful, but in a different kind of way, I have been playing guitar for 28 years now, I've seen nearly every great guitar player you can think of in some form be it live, dvd or whatever. When I watch that Chicago show I see a guitar player, much like SRV, who was in complete command of his instrument and the stage, no longer in anyone's shadow, but casting the shadow for everyone else to try and step out of. Badlands was as honest a rock band as we will likely ever see, nothing false about them, and Jake's presence on stage reflected as much.

Very good points and very well said. You're right, "intense" is a much better way of expressing it. That Chicago show certainly was. I was so excited, my knees were shaking through the entire show but I swear the music alone kept me vertical. To this day Badlands is one of the most powerful (and LOUDEST lol) shows I've ever been to. The last show I saw SRV at was a Blues fest in my area ('88? '89?). He was drunk and wearing a big Indian feather headdress but he just shredded while sweat poured down his face and dripped off his nose.
Just saw that Youtube footage of Jake in Vegas. 39 seconds but oh my god. I haven't been to a concert or club show in years because of a fear of crowds I developed but I would most definitely overcome that just to see Jake play live again.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:08 am

I never picked up on any intensity with Jake in Badlands. In fact, as stated above, I think he was much more laid back. Sure, he still took those Badlands solos and tore them up but, he looked like he was having fun doing it. To me, it seems like his gig with Ozzy was "a job" and Badlands was "a project". I'm not dawging on him by no means...there's nothing wrong with being subdued. I think with Wicked Alliance a little intensity returned. And, IMO some of his finest solos were performed on the WA tour. I've seen Jake many times over the years and man, can he tear it up when he so desires. That WA night is going to be tough to beat, though!

All Access Member

Postby Astrid » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 am

Doobie wrote:I think with Wicked Alliance a little intensity returned. And, IMO some of his finest solos were performed on the WA tour. I've seen Jake many times over the years and man, can he tear it up when he so desires. That WA night is going to be tough to beat, though!

Ah! So jealous! I wish I could have seen him on the WA tour. The bootleg I bought off here is a "wicked" performance, indeed. I would also love to hear "A Fine Pink Mist" performed live.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:24 am

Astrid wrote:
Doobie wrote:I think with Wicked Alliance a little intensity returned. And, IMO some of his finest solos were performed on the WA tour. I've seen Jake many times over the years and man, can he tear it up when he so desires. That WA night is going to be tough to beat, though!

Ah! So jealous! I wish I could have seen him on the WA tour. The bootleg I bought off here is a "wicked" performance, indeed. I would also love to hear "A Fine Pink Mist" performed live.

Not sure which bootleg version you have of WA but, does he do an extended solo in the middle of "Love At First Bite"? Good grief, man ... that solo in person was amaaaaazing. He also did another extended solo in an additional tune that night that was freaking mind blowing ... can't recall which song it was at this time, though.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:42 am

All good points here, I like the Wicked Alliance stuff as well, it was interesting to hear Jake with a heavier (5150 baby!!!) sound and I have always thought WA was a little ahead of the curve so to speak. They (WA) were a much heavier band than Badlands so I can see Jake being more intense in that regard. Badlands were just on another level to me in alot of ways. I've always heard they were the loudest band ever to,lol!!! I think as Doobie stated that Jake really enjoyed what he was doing onstage with Badlands, he just seemed to be on such another level when I watched him live with them, the comparison with SRV is probably the best way I can describe it. The aforementioned Chicago show is one everyone who is a fan of truly great guitar playing and especially Jake should have. Salt Lake City with Ozzy is another one everyone should own, no doubt about, Jake with Ozzy, to me had the best stage presence of anyone with the possible exception of EVH (I think I had this discussion on ultimaterhoads.com too, lol!!!). Threads like this one make me realize just how much I (and everyone else) miss Jake, I surely hope he is doing well. Hey, and no disrespect to anyone's view on this, I have really enjoyed this post, makes me remember alot of things I love about guitar!!!

All Access Member

Postby Astrid » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:04 pm

Doobie][quote="Doobie wrote:I think with Wicked Alliance a little intensity returned. And, IMO some of his finest solos were performed on the WA tour. I've seen Jake many times over the years and man, can he tear it up when he so desires. That WA night is going to be tough to beat, though!

Not sure which bootleg version you have of WA but, does he do an extended solo in the middle of "Love At First Bite"? Good grief, man ... that solo in person was amaaaaazing. He also did another extended solo in an additional tune that night that was freaking mind blowing ... can't recall which song it was at this time, though.[/quote]

The show I have is the one at the Boardwalk in Sacramento - the date escapes me at the moment. It's partial and seems to end during the drum solo but Jake really does let loose during "Atomic Holiday".
I don't know why WA didn't catch on. As Tedeeoo said, they were ahead of the curve. I would think even the young'uns would be eating that up today.
Man, it's going to break my bank, but I am just going to have to own every one of these bootlegs! 8O

All Access Member

Postby Astrid » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:14 pm

tedeeoo wrote:All good points here, I like the Wicked Alliance stuff as well, it was interesting to hear Jake with a heavier (5150 baby!!!) sound and I have always thought WA was a little ahead of the curve so to speak. They (WA) were a much heavier band than Badlands so I can see Jake being more intense in that regard. Badlands were just on another level to me in alot of ways. I've always heard they were the loudest band ever to,lol!!! I think as Doobie stated that Jake really enjoyed what he was doing onstage with Badlands, he just seemed to be on such another level when I watched him live with them, the comparison with SRV is probably the best way I can describe it. The aforementioned Chicago show is one everyone who is a fan of truly great guitar playing and especially Jake should have. Salt Lake City with Ozzy is another one everyone should own, no doubt about, Jake with Ozzy, to me had the best stage presence of anyone with the possible exception of EVH (I think I had this discussion on ultimaterhoads.com too, lol!!!). Threads like this one make me realize just how much I (and everyone else) miss Jake, I surely hope he is doing well. Hey, and no disrespect to anyone's view on this, I have really enjoyed this post, makes me remember alot of things I love about guitar!!!

Cheers, tedeeoo! I always enjoy reading your posts. The Salt Lake City performance is next on my list. I'm tired of watching it on YouTube. :P

Btw, how lame is this - VH1 Classic played portions of each day of the 1984 US Festival on three separate shows. On the Day 2 show - the Heavy Metal day - they didn't show any Ozzy whatsoever. And yet Triumph got played on both Day 2 & Day 3? wtf? Does anyone know if this concert is out on VHS or DVD in its entirety? Or at least Oz's set? thx

A

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...