Rock Pop Festival Dortmund

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Re: Rock Pop Festival Dortmund

Postby kevinxdunk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:02 am

Nice and Sweet!!
Jake forever!!

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:36 am

Yeah I noticed that on the US Festival broadcast to, to their credit Triumph was at maybe their all-time best that day, Rik Emmett has always reminded me of Randy Rhoads in his dedication to the instrument and he (Rik) has such an unbelievable voice (unlimited high range). Still, I watched the US Festival on MTV in 83 and Ozzy just killed, that was the first time I saw Jake, which was in some ways, the pivotal event in my teenage years. His solo on Mr. Crowley from that show has always just blown me away, the fast stacatto lick he plays in about the 2nd bar of the first solo just kills me every time I hear it. And I have to say Ozzy himself made a huge impression on me that day, he was awesome. My other favorite was on that show also, Edward Van Halen and the mighty VH, I don't think anyone was better during that time period (the first 6 albums), they went all out on their show at the US Festival and at the time it was the highest paid performance for a single show for anyone (1.5 million for a 90 minute set). I wish VH1 Classic would play that day in it's entirity,as to my knowledge it's not out on dvd or vhs, the sets were alot longer than what was shown on MTV also. There may be some bootlegs of it somewhere, I know Triumph's performance has been put out on dvd and VH boots of that show are readily available for trade, and I know there is audio of Ozzy's set.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby bubbles » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:40 am

The song sets were longer but not as long as the usual BATM tour sets.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:52 am

Y'know tedeeoo, something you said struck me.

You mentioned the first time you saw Jake was on MTV. The first time I saw Jake was also on MTV, but they were showing The Ultimate Ozzy concert. I saw Jake's guitar solo (the one where Ozzy comes up behind him towards the end and throws him to the ground) and was mesmerized by Jake's playing... the fast parts, the slow parts... the theater of Ozzy throwing him to the ground... the whole thing.

It's sad that MTV doesn't expose people to as much music as they did back then. For a while, we could count on VH1, but not now. But then there was VH1 Classic. But even VH1C is starting to show movies. And when it comes to videos, it's primarily the older stuff.

I suppose times have simply changed, but I remember waking up for school in the early 80s and having MTV on while eating breakfast. In just the space of about a half hour you'd be exposed to all styles of rock/pop music.

Now, at least in the states, there's really not a good forum for that any more. I miss those days.

Killer of Giants

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:44 am

Jake67 wrote:Now, at least in the states, there's really not a good forum for that any more. I miss those days.

It aint any better in the UK and never was amazing to start with.
"Hello this is Robbin Crosby from RATT, and when you're in your car remember to buckle up for safety, ITS THE LAW!"

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:33 am

Whole-heartedly agree about MTV and VH1 Classic, radio is even worse, if radio here in the U.S. would play some of the new music these groups are putting out, I think you would see a huge resurgence in hard rock. Case in point, the last Whitesnake album "Good To Be Bad", that is a smoking album from start to finish, to me it sits right in between "Slide It In" and the "87" album but it got virtually no airplay here in the states. And live, most of these acts can still bring it, I saw WS and Judas Priest this past summer and they were both awesome, one of the best shows I have ever seen. I think it's really funny that if you watch all of the other genres of music current stage shows, they all got it from 80's metal. Pop, country, you name it, you go to see them live and 99 percent of what you see came from hard rock, except most of what you see now doesn't play as well as people like Jake, EVH or even the newer guys like Doug Aldrich with WS (Doug is so awesome!!!!), and they surely don't look as natural doing it. Thank God for the internet and places like Nashville and Austin and others that still get a lot of good live shows, I still think a Jake, Lynch, Sykes guitar legends tour would do great.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:44 am

I'm a big fan of John Sykes. A very melodic player and a surprisingly good song writer.

I was happy to hear he finally left Thin Lizzy recently to focus again on a solo career. (Hope he can get together with Carmine and Tony to reform Blue Murder, too. The first Blue Murder album remains one of my all-time favorite albums.)

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:42 am

Jake67 wrote:I'm a big fan of John Sykes. A very melodic player and a surprisingly good song writer.

I was happy to hear he finally left Thin Lizzy recently to focus again on a solo career. (Hope he can get together with Carmine and Tony to reform Blue Murder, too. The first Blue Murder album remains one of my all-time favorite albums.)

And also a very good singer, the title cut off the first Blue Murder record is one of my all-time favorite guitar riffs, easily as strong as "Still of the Night", which is saying alot because SOTN may be the best hard rock guitar riff I've ever heard. The second Blue Murder record, "Nothin But Trouble", has some of the most tasteful playing I have ever heard in my life on it. "Bad Boys Live", his live solo album is a killer record, it gets played in my truck nearly every day ( my 9 year old son loves that cd, especially John's version of Cold Sweat). I would like to see that Blue Murder reunion also, or even something solo. Guitar Legends, Lee, Lynch, and Sykes, that's the one, I know it may never happen but my goodness would that not be an awesome show!!!!!!!!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:32 pm

Well, it's nice to be able to tie this all together... Ray was a possible choice for Blue Murder. A bit of a 6-Degrees of Separation game for the Jake E. Lee forum. :)

I Need an Angel, Runaway, and She Knows from NBT are among my favorite Sykes songs. He can really put emotion into songs. You're right... a fine singer.

That's one reason I've hated his recent stint with Thin Lizzy... it's deprived us of more great solo work by the guy.

Interesting... I have a 9 year old son, too. He plays a few instruments of which bass is his primary one. Haven't played him much Sykes. He's heavy into Rush and The Beatles. I did play a bit of The Sun Goes Down for him on bass, so he's had his exposure to John through Lizzy's music. I really like the Thunder & Lightning album, primarily because of John's work.

All Access Member

Postby pejale » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:20 am

Touching on Thin Lizzy,they are one of my all-time favourite bands. Phil Lynott is/was a major idol of mine. I always think of him a bit like Ozzy (although Lynott was much more talented :lol: ) in that he brought some great guitarists to the fore. Brian Robertson, Gary Moore,Scott Gorham,Snowy White and of course John Sykes,although it could be argued that a couple of Lizzy guitarists where known players but i always think of their best work as being with Lizzy.

For me personally,Phil Lynott was a lyrical genius,alongside Roger Waters,just a shame he was another rock n roller who fell for all that drugs bullshit :(

I would like to have seen Jake and Phil Lynott do something together,i think that would have been awesome :D dream on!!! :cry:

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:33 pm

There must be something wrong w/the connection "now" cause it won't come through/the video's are down for these Classic music moments of JAKE live in action w/OZZY. I do have these vintage treasures although in my Collection music video's titled "The Ultimate OZZY" during 1986 I believe and for sure this is a keepsake live in Concert footage of the legendary musician line-up that trailblazed that stage at that time, also. 8O :o :D No doubt JAKE is absolutely incrediable in those live OZZY performances from 1983-1986 when he worked-music Trailblazed in that band. Peace and thanks for sharing even though the video's did not come through.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Speaking of tying things together, John Sykes was one of the guitarist originally approached by the Osbournes after Randy died (I assume when Bernie Torme and then Brad Gillis played for Ozzy) . Also, as I understand it, there is a recorded version of the first Blue Murder album with Ray Gillen on vocals and Jake was contacted by Whitesnake's management to be one of their guitar players, which means he would have been playing all of Sykes' WS material. My son and I were listening to some of that first BM album last night and it is still just a killer record, Sykes has maybe the best hard rock rhythm tone ever. It would be interesting to hear it with Ray's vocals on it, it would be even better to hear it on a "Lee,Lynch,Sykes Guitar Legends" tour. I know, I know wishful thinking, but can you imagine, Jake doing a set of Jake/Ozzy/Badlands/WA stuff, Lynch with his stuff plus Dokken and Lynch Mob and Sykes with Thin Lizzy/WS/BM and Sykes material. I can see the encore now, all 3 of them on stage doing Bark At The Moon, In My Dreams and Still Of The Night, I would probably have a heart attack and die right there on the spot, lol!!!!!! Gives me something (among many things) to pray for every day.

Previous

Return to All things Jake E Lee...