some jake stuff from zakk wylde

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: some jake stuff from zakk wylde

Postby tedeeoo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:53 pm

One of the cool things about Jake is how he wrote a great record like TUS ( and BATM for that matter), that was firmly within the realm of what Ozzy did/does, and then he turned around and went in a completely different direction with Badlands and wrote 3 equally great records of great classic American hard rock. It's like the man said in one post-Ozzy interview, if you think of his playing as a foot (like 12 in., not the smelly thing that goes in your shoes,lol!) what he did with Ozzy only takes up maybe a quarter of that. As a player one of the things among many that I love about Jake is his versatility, I honestly think he could play anything not just well, but probably better than anyone you've ever heard if he wanted to. He always talked about having some background in Jazz, I'd love to hear him rip on some of that, and he also spoke of country music at times also, given how great he is at hybrid picking with the pick and fingers, I'd bet he could just kill on some bluegrass. And of course most everyone knows about his piano training. All that sums up to a VERY rounded musician and I have always loved that about him. And I have to add also, he plays slide like he grew up in Mississippi, and I would definately know about that, lol!!!!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby bubbles » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:45 am

I don't know if this is mentioned or even if I missed the point but Zakk didn't just play 'Shot in the dark' from Jakes carer with Ozzy he also played 'Bark at the Moon' much of the time as the show opener.
While Jake seems to have left little on the surface of Ozzy's career this one tune was big enough to open his shows whilst anything by Randy Rhoads or Sabbath are the songs the audience want to here.
This sets Jake alongside Randy and Sabbath as influential parts of the OO band jigsaw.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:14 pm

This is just my observation from what I see and hear in Mississippi, but BATM is probably Ozzy's second most popular solo song after 'Crazy Train", I hear it more than I hear any of Zakk's stuff, which is no knock on Zakk by the way (Zakk is a class act in my book), and more than any other Randy (who I have the utmost respect for) song, which is saying alot when you consider Randy's incredible songwriting. Anytime you can compare to people like Tony Iommi, Randy Rhoads and even Zakk, that is saying alot, when you can do it and still create your own legacy, it says even more. And that's just off of Jake's career with Ozzy, that doesn't take into account Badlands.

Previous

Return to All things Jake E Lee...