Ozzy in GW, talks about Jake.

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Ozzy in GW, talks about Jake.

Postby MetalHead » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:27 am

Ozzy Osbourne wrote:GW Okay, but what about Jake?

OZZY Well, Jake was fine for the first three days; then he wanted to take over. Randy wasn’t like that; he was one of the cool guys. I wouldn’t say Jake and I got along, but I wouldn’t say we didn’t get along. But in the last few years he became very reserved and it was hard to communicate with him. We lived together in a house in Beverly Hills and we never spoke! It wasn’t because we didn’t like each other. We just didn’t have anything to say.

It was similar to the relationship I had with Tony Iommi. We’d get together to rehearse, write a mediocre song and then go our own way. It’s not the relationship I wanted with Jake, but a festering cancer set in. I wouldn’t have it. If I ask, “What do you think of that?” I want a reaction. If it’s negative we’ll try something else, that’s not a problem. But Jake would shrug his shoulders, raise an eyebrow and walk away.

The word “band” means a band of men—an army, a platoon, a unit. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. If there is a communication breakdown— hey, that’s a great name for a song—you’ve got no unit.

To be fair, Jake did have a fantastic presence and he was a great guitar player.

Read the whole interview here: http://www.guitarworld.com/article/ozzy ... page=0%2C1
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Re: Ozzy in GW, talks about Jake.

Postby tedeeoo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:04 am

This was posted over at ultimaterhoads.com to, it is from an older interview with Ozzy. If you really read that interview you can kind of see that Ozzy was not in a good place at the time of Jake's dismissal. And to be fair to all parties, Ozzy has had much nicer things to say about Jake in recent years, and has even asked him to come back to the band on at least one occasion. I also thought the re-read of that interview was interesting for something I didn't notice when I originally read it, Ozzy's mentioning of Eddie Van Halen and the context in which he mentions EVH. I read a post on UR one time from someone who said that alot of the reason Ozzy came to L.A. to look for a guitar player was because of how bad Eddie and VH had kicked Sabbath's tail when they toured together and that he wanted the same type of guitar player for his solo band. He definately found one in Randy and for that matter in Jake to, those old interviews are interesting when you go back and read them now and look at how the passage of time has changed both your impressions of it as well as the people who are being interviewed.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby tenfingersofdoom » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:59 pm

hey tedeeo, do you know the year that jake was asked back? i'd be interested to know that. i can only assume jake turned it down and i wish i knew why. it could have led to better things.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:57 pm

I think I remember reading somewhere around 94 (I may be wrong about that) but I would guess it was probably around the time of either the "Ozzmosis" tour, when Zakk first left Ozzy, or prior to either the recording of "Down to Earth" or just prior to that tour as that is when Sharon and Joe Holmes had their falling out and that is when Zakk was asked to come back (not sure what year that was). I remember reading somewhere that Jake has been asked back on more than one occasion but I am not sure how true that is. Jake did decline the invitation, I have never heard a reason given and Jake has never really had to much to say about it. Someone please correct me if my info is not correct.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:11 pm

Yeah, we heard "all" this before: it must be an archieve GW/OZZY Interview back in the day when OZZY didn't want to say anything of concrete value for JAKE E. LEE's character. One moment Mr. Osbourne would say something pretty fair/nice then the next not so nice like in this particular Interview...'I think also around this time JAKE just didn't want to comment on anything OZZY said about him/he was "busy" healin' from over the hurt of being let go & later just regroup "all" his music creative energies into his own band BADLANDS. And even after that he/JAKE still wouldn't say anything "hurtful" toward OZZY: his been cordially distance about that. The legendary Rock N Roll Rebel musician Jake E. Lee has moved on since. Much respects!

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:28 pm

I heard Jake was also asked back in 2001 and just before Black Rain. Pretty sure 2001 was true but no so much about 2007?

In the article it says he just hired Zakk out of some photos but Jimi Bell and Zakk were the last two and went head to head for the job. The two are very similar in style. Zakk said he thought Jimi would get it and almost did but Sharon felt Zakk had a better look.

Jimi Bell solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzIOmOgwYW4

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:06 pm

I remember reading that Randy Castillo had alot to do with Zakk getting his audition also. I was not sure on what year Jake was asked to come back but 2001 sounds right and I also remember seeing where he was asked to come back at some point in the 90's, but I'm not sure on the year (I want to say 94 but that seems early to me for some reason). I have not heard anything about 2007. Again, have never read or heard where Jake has said anything about why he declined the offer (s)

Return to All things Jake E Lee...