joe holmes

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

joe holmes

Postby tenfingersofdoom » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:05 pm

The only Ozzy mystery as strange as Jake's retreat from music is Joe Holmes' complete disapearence. Any info?

All Access Member

Re: joe holmes

Postby tedeeoo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:49 pm

What I have read is that Joe and Sharon had a falling out just prior to recording "Down To Earth" (I believe that's the right one), Zakk was brought back in to record the album and do the tour. Apparently at some point between recording the album and starting the tour Joe was asked to come back but declined. It has always been speculated that the riff was over songwriting royalties and/or payment for Joe's work on the album. This story has been fairly consistent everywhere I have seen it. He (Joe) is a great guitar player and a former student of Randy's, his live guitar tone was just huge, it didn't sound like he put alot (effects wise) between his guitar and amplifiers. He is also the only Ozzy guitar player to perform "Diary of a Madman" live. I have read he is recording new music, but haven't heard anything on him in a while. Hope this helps.

Postby voodoogreg » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:23 am

The rumor was also that this combined with Sharon's well known slimey mind game style of dealing with Ozzy's sidemen, Joe's devout Catholic Faith was a target of her jokes and put downs. This I heard from a friend of Joes. VG

Postby lithead » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:48 am

tedeeoo wrote:What I have read is that Joe and Sharon had a falling out just prior to recording "Down To Earth" (I believe that's the right one), Zakk was brought back in to record the album and do the tour. Apparently at some point between recording the album and starting the tour Joe was asked to come back but declined. It has always been speculated that the riff was over songwriting royalties and/or payment for Joe's work on the album. This story has been fairly consistent everywhere I have seen it. He (Joe) is a great guitar player and a former student of Randy's, his live guitar tone was just huge, it didn't sound like he put alot (effects wise) between his guitar and amplifiers. He is also the only Ozzy guitar player to perform "Diary of a Madman" live. I have read he is recording new music, but haven't heard anything on him in a while. Hope this helps.

I can say this, it sounds like more speculation and rumors, like he's dead, he's born again, or my favorite that he doesn't write good songs. None of which are true. Ozzy is a business and has always changed the lineup and has included some of the best musicians around. Joe uses his music to talk and always has.

The real news is the stuff he's recording now will overshadow any rumors. :D

If anyone's interested I have a Joe Holmes fan group on facebook with lots of pictures and videos
http://www.facebook.com/groups/82335692751/

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:36 pm

My 5 cents,

I have read somewhere that song # 2 "Facing Hell" in Down to earth is written by Joe Homes. I am starting to think more and more this is true because Zakk did not perform it on the Budokan DVD show. It is a classic Ozzy tune for sure.

Cheers,
Demon

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:12 pm

Demon_A_Go-Go wrote:My 5 cents,

I have read somewhere that song # 2 "Facing Hell" in Down to earth is written by Joe Homes. I am starting to think more and more this is true because Zakk did not perform it on the Budokan DVD show. It is a classic Ozzy tune for sure.

Cheers,
Demon

... but ... there are atleast 2 Holmes-written song that Zakk
played on the Budokan DVD so that statement doesn't hold much water ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Return to All things Jake E Lee...