Sad day for heavy metal fans - RIP DIO

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Sad day for heavy metal fans - RIP DIO

Postby jefnel1 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Heavy metal rocker Ronnie James Dio died Sunday morning after a battle with stomach cancer, his wife announced.

"Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45 a.m. 16th May," Wendy Dio said in a message posted on his official website.

Dio, 67, followed Ozzy Osbourne as Black Sabbath's lead vocalist in 1979.

"Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away," she wrote. "Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all."
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Ultimate Sinner

Re: Sad day for heavy metal fans - RIP DIO

Postby Ninevah123 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:17 am

Ronnie was simply amazing....his voice could cut through an entire metal band playing at full tilt. What an appalling loss for his family and everyone who loved him. I never saw him and I feel like I missed out on something truly wonderful.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Ninevah123 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz0r5SJfSZ0

His voice was incredible............

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Jake67 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:34 am

Certainly sad.

Also a bit sad to realize that a lot of the greats of early hard rock and metal are getting up there in years.

In Ronnie's case, he was obviously ill, but when you think of him being 67... man... it just feels like a lifetime ago when these guys were conquering the world.

At least in Ronnie's case he was still kicking butt right to the end.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue May 18, 2010 6:41 pm

I got the news while I was on a school trip with my son, very sad day for music fans and everyone who knew Ronnie. From all accounts he was genuinely a nice guy to most everyone, his contributions to music are obvious and do not have to be mentioned. My heart and prayers go out to all of his family and friends and I would also just say, please, tell the people that you care about just how much you love them every day. Life is all to fleeting and you never know what day may be your last.

God Bless You All,
Ted

Ultimate Sinner

Postby FireandRain » Wed May 19, 2010 6:28 am

Good reminder, Tedeeoo.

I agree, he was a vocalist like none other - a true rock icon. He may not have had the "looks" but MAN could he SING! I still can't believe he was 67 though, his voice still sounded like it did "back in the day". RIP Ronnie...
I'm not suffering from my addiction to Jake E. Lee - I'm enjoying every minute of it!

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Fri May 21, 2010 4:59 pm

:cry: Yes, surely a sad day in Metal History legendary Icon Vocalist/Musician & Writter Ronnie James DIO passing away. What a passionate rich "fillfulled" Music Career he had & lived! And a master legacy DIO leaves us all: rest in peace "MAGICA/HOLY DIVER" Prince Dragon Ronnie James DIO much condolences to his wife/Manager Wendy Dio and fellow bandmates that he'd rocked the house down with so "many" yrs with bands like: RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, DIO and HEAVEN & HELL...'Wow, a rich life indeed! A true-Heart Trailblazer...'thanks RONNIE JAMES DIO, rest in sweet harmony. :)

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue May 25, 2010 7:19 am

Never be another one like him, that is for sure.

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Wed May 26, 2010 9:44 pm

I still remember taking the Bus to the mall to buy Holy Diver and Heaven and Hell on cassete after hearing it at a buddies house and thinking Dio had the most metal pipes ever . RIP Ronnie James Dio :cry:

Return to All things Jake E Lee...