Specs: Jake's Charvel Whitey

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

Specs: Jake's Charvel Whitey

Postby AZFF » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Can anyone here put up ACCURATE specs of Jake's Charvel Whitey?

I'm currently in the process of building an Eddie Van Halen Frankenstrat and would like to build a Jake Whitey next. Check out www.halen.com for the awesome complete section of the website dedicated to EVH custom build guitars there.

I wish this site had something similar where all this info has its own section so there wouldn't be so much searching to do. Maybe the Admin/Mod/Owner could do this in the future. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate this.

Thanks in advance!
Scott

All Access Member

Re: Specs: Jake's Charvel Whitey

Postby Shadow » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Ummm, you can check out the Equipment and Gear Specs section "here" on the Main JAKE E. LEE greeting Home page under Information: I'm sure you can find some clues to your questions, Scott. The Webmaster & the Administraton Staff here done a amazing job with JAKE's 'Site alot of hard works went into it. Peace!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby AZFF » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm not complaining, if that's how I come off, not at all. I'll have a look at the Equip/Gear section.

Thanks,
Scott

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:41 pm

whitey is just a standard 74/75 strat. Jake had medium frets up to the 12th fret and jumbo frets from 12th to 22nd fret and the back of the nech was shaved a bit thinner to
pickguard was single knob HSS with the single coils angled.
pick ups are duncan JB humbucker and dimarzio sds1 middle and neck

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Allfyve » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:07 pm

AZFF wrote:Can anyone here put up ACCURATE specs of Jake's Charvel Whitey?
I'm currently in the process of building an Eddie Van Halen Frankenstrat and would like to build a Jake Whitey next. /Scott :!:

CHECK OUT THE INTERVEIW FOR DETAILS LIKE

Jake E. Lee: Thank God For Axology
by Steven Rosen-Guitar World Nov.1986

Since his days in Ratt, Jake E. Lee has used guit
ars without a vibrato arm, structuring his style around virtually one singular instrument. This guitar is a circa 1974 (it may be a 1975) Fender Stratocaster which has been Charvel-ized, featuring Gotoh tuners, brass bridge and Gibson frets. The headstock was carved down courtesy of Charvel and the neck has been shaved (it is now thinner and narrower) by the same company. The neck is made of maple with a rosewood fretboard and the body is one allowing the strings to run entirely through it. Lee feels they produce a warmer sound than those bodies sporting vibrato assemblies. Two single-coil DiMarzio SDS-1 pickups have been slanted opposite the normal position so that the pole pieces for the bass strings are closer to the bridge, producing more bite and less mushiness. Jake found that pickups started losing clarity on the low E and A strings when the neck pickups were switched on and this new positioning seemed to solve the problem. The bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan Allan Holdsworth prototype (he has used other Duncan units but never found one quite so warm-sounding).

:arrow: :arrow:

Ultimate Sinner

Postby AZFF » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:46 pm

Is the color Olympic white?

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:32 am

AZFF wrote:Is the color Olympic white?

I believe it would be Arctic White, although it started out
as a sunburst. also ... given that's it's originaly a Fender
the body would be made out of Ash-wood :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Secret Loser

Postby Fedaykin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:32 am

MetalHead wrote:
AZFF wrote:Is the color Olympic white?

I believe it would be Arctic White, although it started out
as a sunburst. also ... given that's it's originaly a Fender
the body would be made out of Ash-wood :)

Also, the neck was scalled down to be an inch shorter than the standard Strat neck, which also reduced string tension. The bridge is brass which gives great sustain and brightness. I read an interview once where Jake said it was a prototype Duncan Holdsworth model, which Di Martini used in his Charvels for a while. Both Warren and Jake switched to the JB for their main bridge pickup, which is a good choice because it is a pickup that is very adaptable and controllable. It has brightness, sustain, clarity, and it does not have that DiMarzio cheesiness. I tried a couple guitars with SDS 1s and they sound and look a lot like G & L pickups, yet only half as good. I would suggest to anyone who wants to build a Jake inspired guitar, go ahead. I did, years ago, only I did it my way. If you are set on building a true replica than go right ahead, but not everything that works for Jake will work for you. In my Jake inspired strat which I had built 21 years ago, I used a stop tail bridge like his only it was not brass, and a regular 25 Strat scale neck, which I should have had made into a 24 inch. Also, The action was too high, since the neck was very thick, like a baseball bat. I had no problem with that since I have very large hands, but the distance between the fretboard and the body added to the string tension. Just remember, if you are using a stop bridge you will feel the tension much more because there is a more immediate snap-back on the strings for lack of a floating spring bridge. I would suggest doodling with a Tele, or a Schecter Tele, to see if that kind of bridge is for you. In fact, if you are interested in a Jake inspired guitar, just get a Tele and but a Duncan mini JB in the lead, or if you have a humbucker already, switch it out for a JB. As for the neck, try some of Duncans higher output single coils so you don't lose volume when you switch to neck. In my Jake style strat, which was black and looked like his blue Charvel from TUS tour, I had just two pickups: a Duncan Distortion in the bridge (I should have used a JB) and a modified Duncan Hot Tele in the bridge. I had one volume control which had push pull switching between neck and bridge, which was great, and the neck pickup was slanted, which really did add to the sound quality. Since I had no need for a middle pickup, I didn't get one. Also, I had no pickguard, and the socket was where you find it on a Strat. I should have built it a little differently, but it's one of the best guitars I ever had. I eventually started to use Tele style guitars, including a Yamaha with two humbuckers. That one was great too, and only $200 dollars! I say hunt around for a bargain. When I was playing clubs in Los Angeles in the late 80s and early 90s, a lot of bands I worked with thought it was odd that I didn't use a whammy, and even odder that they could not tell just by listening to me, as I knew a lot of tricks I learned by watching Jake play, only I came up with some of my own as well. Another thing is that if you have the right set up, you don't have to use very heavy gauge strings. I used 9s which worked fine, usually GHS but then I tried many others. A stop bridge gives a lot of brightness, and for a warmers sound you sometimes want maybe D'Adarrios, or Dean Markleys, which are wonderful. Also, you should always play with pick attack. Sometimes you want to use the tip, sometimes the side which gives a very different tone. I used heavy and extra-heavy Fender picks, which I would buy by the truckload. I also used to have a couple of Jake's picks that he used with Ozzy on TUS tour that Jake had given a mutual friend who then gave them to me since he knew I was a Jake fan. They were the same as Fender heavies and I wish I still had them. I used to keep them in my wallet for good luck. By the time I had learned about Jake's amp setup, I was more of a Boogie/Fender player even though I owned a Marshall JMP reissue stack. I used it with an MXR overdrive plus and had the Randy sound to a T with the exception that I had Celestions instead of Altecs. I experimented with amps, cabs and different speaker configs. Then I got into Boogies. I got the 50 Cal. combo which is the best amp I ever had. I would used it to drive my Marshall at some gigs, or just plug it right into the top slanted cab of which I had removed the speaker cover and made it sound better. I never owned EVs but I liked them a lot. It is true that the can sound weak on the bottom end without mid-equalization. With a Boogie, thought, it is no prob with the five band eq. I say find your own voice, your own sound and style. Respect the masters, but let them inspire you to become your own player. If you are inspired by Jake, then build your own guitar, and your own style. That's the best tribute to the master, becoming your own player.
“My parents wanted me to be the next Van Cliburn, but I wanted to be the next Van Halen.”

Secret Loser

Postby Fedaykin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:35 am

I heard Jake's strat and his other Charvels have all been alder. I owned owned two guitars with ash bodies and ash rhymes with trash for a very good reason. Alder is the best for bolt-ons.
“My parents wanted me to be the next Van Cliburn, but I wanted to be the next Van Halen.”

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Fedaykin wrote:I heard Jake's strat and his other Charvels have all been alder. I owned owned two guitars with ash bodies and ash rhymes with trash for a very good reason. Alder is the best for bolt-ons.

but ash was very common in Fender strats during that time when Jakes was built,
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Secret Loser

Postby Fedaykin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:41 am

MetalHead wrote:
Fedaykin wrote:I heard Jake's strat and his other Charvels have all been alder. I owned owned two guitars with ash bodies and ash rhymes with trash for a very good reason. Alder is the best for bolt-ons.

but ash was very common in Fender strats during that time when Jakes was built,
Ash is for asholes. HAHAHAHAH! Alder rules!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:06 am

Fedaykin wrote:Also, the neck was scalled down to be an inch shorter than the standard Strat neck, which also reduced string tension.

The ESP models had that anyway, possible the bursts too, but not the whitey ;)

Return to All things Jake E Lee...