Bass player Bryan Beller recalls a meeting with Jake

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Bass player Bryan Beller recalls a meeting with Jake

Postby Aga-Ta » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:36 pm

I found on the internet memories the bass player Bryan Beller (Steve Vai) - He described his meeting with a Jake.
quote:
"But, onto the real meat of the story...the Thursday night show in the Hilton bar with Jake E. Lee. It turns out that SansAmp (more cool people...we only know cool people, except for drummers that want to hurt us after our shows) scrapped the idea of us doing sets first and last, and wanted us simply to play for 90 minutes first. We all thought that was a good idea, but our apologies to those of you who were misinformed by the info on this here page. So the task fell to me to write a 90 minute set list; I felt ambitious, wanting to impress all of the NAMM folk, and here it was (slashes indicate segueways): Career Politicians/Lightning Roy, Skunk/...Thorax In You/Top Of Stove Melting, I Will, Dentyne/My Dilemma/Spoon Guy/Uglytown, Spearmint Pup/Day Of The Cow 1/Them Dolphins Is Smart (Live Version)/The Immigrant Song (yes, THAT Immigrant Song), Blameless, 'Cause Of Breakfast, Cheddar/Snowcow/S.I.S.(will appear on "Live In Hollywood") /Snowcow Reprise/Aglow, Scotch/The Desired Effect, Assholes (you know this as the heavy instrumental bit in "O'Bannon" off of Dust Speck) /Power Of Love (a Hendrix tune), Vulture Fun (from the Tar Tapes, I think)/Gypsy Queen (we love that Santana groove!)/Rosemary Girl. If that sounds scary, it was.
Soundcheck was at 5:00, and Jake was supposed to go first. He's late, though, and I end up talking to his bass player for the moment, a last minute replacement and nice guy named Mike Andrews (talk about last minute...he didn't even hear three of the tunes in the set until 3:00 AM the night before the gig). 6:00...no Jake. 6:30...no Jake. They don't soundcheck, to our relief, since doors were supposed to open at 7: 15 and I was getting ready to scream bloody murder at someone if the almighty Jake showed up at 6:45 and was allowed to check at that point. Toss is behind us in a cave-like structure on the stage (it was shaped that way) and no matter what we do, he can't hear us that well...a real bummer since this was going to be our most important show to date and on-stage communication is everything for us. But, eventually we just said fuck it and went with what we had. Doors open, about 150-200 people walk in...our largest crowd to date. We were really amped, and when we hit the stage, it showed, at least for me--I chumped Lightning Roy harder than I ever have. In time I and we settled down and played a fun, effective show, if not the tightest one we've ever done. Highlights......Toss' friend Satnam Ramgothra got up and played tablas during the solo section of Uglytown, and the vibe was perfect...Power Of Love involves call and response singing between me and Mike, and Mike saw fit to simply stop singing, leaving the crowd to hear my beautiful voice alone (thanks, Mike)....Toss went berserk in the Santana groove, shredding like no other....Mike blew the segueway out of the Day Of The Cow 1, going to the familiar Snowcow instead of Dolphins, but no one noticed or cared except for me, who had slaved over the set list......Mike was a stud in Breakfast, holding his own while I fell to pieces next to him in the third chorus....my solo in Dilemma was cool for a change.....overall, the reaction was great, and the people in the room were standing still, watching us, which is more than you can say for Jake E. Late, who showed up at like 9:15 and took an hour and 45 minutes to complete his changeover, then proceeded to play 35 minutes of near worthless instrumental rock. Someone gave Mike a gorgeous silver dolphin bottle opener after the show...a good omen if there ever is one. Poor Thomas Nordegg, who almost got killed at the last show he tech-ed for us (see Act 5), somehow ended up having to turn Jake's bag of 12 pedals (really!!) into a working setup from a schematic scribbled on a napkin. Somehow, he did it...the guy is simply incredible and no mere words could ever do him justice. As for the rest of the night, well, we retired to the back of the bar and drank ourselves silly. Back at the Eden Roc Motel (somewhere during the drunkenness it turned into the Eatin' Cock) I passed out while Toss, Satnam and someone else lasted 'til 6:00 AM."

Ultimate Sinner

Re: Bass player Bryan Beller recalls a meeting with Jake

Postby johnorlitta » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Oh well, as they say: Better late than never.
"We give you Jake E. Lee: the man who hates time and tremolos"

Killer of Giants

Postby Aga-Ta » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:14 am

johnorlitta wrote:Oh well, as they say: Better late than never.

Exactly - on Jake it's worthwhile waiting.. :wink:

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:18 am

Aga-Ta wrote:

I think I got lost somewhere ... were you not previously bashing Jake before posting your last reply?? ... ("which is more than you can say for Jake E. Late, who showed up at like 9:15 and took an hour and 45 minutes to complete his changeover, then proceeded to play 35 minutes of near worthless instrumental rock")

Killer of Giants

Postby Aga-Ta » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:38 am

Doobie wrote:
Aga-Ta wrote:

I think I got lost somewhere ... were you not previously bashing Jake before posting your last reply?? ... ("which is more than you can say for Jake E. Late, who showed up at like 9:15 and took an hour and 45 minutes to complete his changeover, then proceeded to play 35 minutes of near worthless instrumental rock")

I think it worth the wait -Bryan Beller may have a different opinion.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Allfyve » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:48 pm

who the f* is Bryan Beller ? -a cupcake ,,,,,,,
:?:

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Aga-Ta wrote:
Doobie wrote:
Aga-Ta wrote:

I think it worth the wait -Bryan Beller may have a different opinion.

Ahh, my bad. I thought you were telling your own story - forgot you were just narrating. So sorry.

Killer of Giants

Postby Aga-Ta » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:18 pm

I see that perhaps I should not have this paste here - but I decided that it was even funny.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby johnorlitta » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:38 pm

"35 minutes of near worthless instrumental rock"? Geez, it was NAMM, what was Brian Beller expecting, a full on concert from one guitarist?

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:31 pm

God, are you guys really that blindly worshipful of him??

Nobody can say, "Yeah that sucks. That wasn't cool for Jake to make everyone wait, and what's up with needing all those pedals or sounds like he might not have played so hot that night" or SOMETHING??

Geez.

There's a lot of unflattering stories of Jake out there for a reason you know. If you acknowledge them, it doesn't mean you not a 'real' fan or anything.

Hint: Objectivity is good.

Sometimes you have to call people on their bullshit even if it's someone you admire or are a fan of.

Killer of Giants

Postby Aga-Ta » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Nobody's perfect.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby johnorlitta » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:46 pm

It's not worship, it's respect.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Allfyve » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:44 am

Allfyve wrote:.
who the f* is Bryan Beller ? -a cupcake ,,,,,,,
:?:

OR AN EGG TIMER , PERHAPS

:roll:

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:04 pm

"It's called respect"??

Really, you think that kind of behavior deserves respect?

Hmm, okay.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Allfyve » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:35 pm

seasons wrote:God, are you guys really that blindly worshipful of him??

Nobody can say, "Yeah that sucks. That wasn't cool for Jake to make everyone wait, and what's up with needing all those pedals or sounds like he might not have played so hot that night" or SOMETHING??Geez. There's a lot of unflattering stories of Jake out there for a reason you know. If you acknowledge them, it doesn't mean you not a 'real' fan or anything.
Hint: Objectivity is good.
Sometimes you have to call people on their bullshit even if it's someone you admire or are a fan of

:mrgreen: sure babe it's annoying about someone being late, even if Jake's got this habit since he was a kiddo .Geez butto be bothered about the instrumental performance !! My guess it is about the AFPM tunes and my knowledge about Jakes background is ; with 10yrs of higher piano education +his interest from the start (pre-Ozzy ) in fusionjazzguitar =so this means this egg timer-guy B.Beller hasnt got a clue about this kindof music competency
:arrow: ,,,,,,,,to be objective is convenient when you got bad stories , thats a friggn fact and an axiom hhhrmmm

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...