What does Jake do for a living these days?

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: What does Jake do for a living these days?

Postby Charvelised » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:26 am

As a musician myself..I take it seriously and i'm sure Jake along with many gifted artists do...the Image of a Rockstar I don't take seriously!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:49 am

Charvelised wrote:As a musician myself..I take it seriously and i'm sure Jake along with many gifted artists do...the Image of a Rockstar I don't take seriously!

That's not what I meant, let me clarify.

To compare a rock guitarist with one of the most well known composers of all time is a stretch. Most people know who Mozart is - especially if you play music and even if you don't, you more than likely know who he is. Most people know who Van Gogh and William Blake are. Those are creative geniuses that have become icons of history.

Jake, Randy, Eddie, <insert Guitar God of choice here...etc..etc...> only means something to people who are interested in that particular genre. I know people that couldn't even tell you who, or care less, Jake E Lee is. My wife is one of them.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Jiver » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:58 am

Charvelised wrote:As a musician myself..I take it seriously and i'm sure Jake along with many gifted artists do...the Image of a Rockstar I don't take seriously!

I used to think that, given the sales of the 2 Ozzy albums Jake played on (2-3 million certified for BATM; 1-2-3 mil for U/S) that Jake was "taken" care of. He DID have songwriter royalties on U/S; if that release sold btwn 2 and 3 million or so, splitting w/ Ozzy would've netted him in the 100,000's. Just that. Not including the tour royalties, various other sources of income. Jake doesn't seem to be a person with "habits". An even keeled individual. Probably bought some "toys", such as cars, music stuff, homes, etc. And, he got a hefty signing bonus prior to the Badlands release by Warner Bros. according to an interview he did around the time of it's release. So, one can assume with everything he's been involved in, he's fairly well "set". Still, he picks/chooses when to work.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Jiver » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:09 pm

I used to think that, given the sales of the 2 Ozzy albums Jake played on (2-3 million certified for BATM; 1-2-3 mil for U/S) that Jake was "taken" care of. He DID have songwriter royalties on U/S; if that release sold btwn 2 and 3 million or so, splitting w/ Ozzy would've netted him in the 100,000's. Just that. Not including the tour royalties, various other sources of income. Jake doesn't seem to be a person with "habits". An even keeled individual. Probably bought some "toys", such as cars, music stuff, homes, etc. And, he got a hefty signing bonus prior to the Badlands release by Warner Bros. according to an interview he did around the time of it's release. So, one can assume with everything he's been involved in, he's fairly well "set". Still, he picks/chooses when to work.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:17 pm

mrmetal wrote:

That's not what I meant, let me clarify.

To compare a rock guitarist with one of the most well known composers of all time is a stretch. Most people know who Mozart is - especially if you play music and even if you don't, you more than likely know who he is. Most people know who Van Gogh and William Blake are. Those are creative geniuses that have become icons of history.

Jake, Randy, Eddie, <insert Guitar God of choice here...etc..etc...> only means something to people who are interested in that particular genre. I know people that couldn't even tell you who, or care less, Jake E Lee is. My wife is one of them.

Yeah, that's the way my wife is too! :lol: I'm going to see Yngwie Malmsteen on May 5th in North Carolina and I'm completely stoked about it! Do you think she cares :?: Not one bit :!: :cry:

My wife definitley falls prey to whatever the record companies want you to listen to, that's for sure!

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:31 pm

Bummer Dudes! My wife is the complete opposite!!! Total Jake fan! in fact, when she was 16, she and a friend hitchhiked from San Diego to the Us Festival just to see Jake and Ozzy! :wink:

Check this out... on April 5th we're going to Tracii's show and on the 9th we got tickets to Y&T!

My chick, she loves to ROCK! :D

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:52 pm

Total Allignment Dean,

My wife and I met at Hammerjack's in Baltimore, Md at a rock show. A match made in heaven. We've been married for 13 years (we have 3 kids) and we still love to roll down the windows and crank up the music we loved when we met as well as the new stuff.

I remember, when we were dating, she went to see Aldo Nova on a night I couldn't go. It totally bummed me out but I was happy she got to see a great show. It's always been that way back and forth. I go to shows and meet the musicians and she gets to go to shows and have a blast.

A couple of years ago...a buddy of mine called me up and asked if I knew who Zakk Wylde was. I said "sure...he's Ozzy's guitar player and he's doing his own thing with BLS". The long and short of the story is that my buddy worked on his tour bus while they were in town and he introduced me to Zakk. I ended up hanging on the tour bus that night til 2:00 am on a week night...talking shop with Zakk and watching the Pantera DVD of the time. I had a blast and, not once, did the wife call to check on me or give me a hard time. Of course...she wanted to know all about it the next day. She was happy for me to get out of my daily grind and be in my element.

I couldn't ask for a better wife. I cannot explain enough, her tolerance for listening to mixes of the Jake Tribute CD tracks for the last couple of years. The best part is I can ask her what she thinks and she gives me an honest answer. Given our fondness for the same music...I listen to what she has to say.

Back to the subject of this post...Jake can do whatever he wishes. It is not our place, as fans, to expect any more or any less of him. We always look forward to hearing more of his talent but it is not our place to dictate it. Furthermore...Jake deserves his privacy and his family life, profession, etc., is his...not ours. We are simply here to enjoy his gift and his efforts to bring that gift to us whenever and however he pleases.

Jimi

Postby jimmy6 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:35 am

is there any body out there?

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:27 am

Deansolo wrote:
stratattack wrote:I just can't believe that Jake didnt want the marshalls !

Dude, I'm sure he doesn't want to hassle with 'em anymore. If you could go in and pick out your gear from a collection of 1000+ guitars, 400+ vintage amps and other stuff before you record, wouldn't you get rid of all the stuff that didn't trip your trigger anymore? Besides, bringing amps out of storage and getting them ready to work again is a bitch.

Man, I have to Marshall JCM800 heads, i have used near on 20 years, they are my other kids, like my guitars, even if I were rich, I guess i might some diff models etc and other brands, but I do everything with these 2, I know how to make em sound, to get what I want, I think most guitarists are the same, but I really do want a fkn vintage marshall, something I have always wanted, and if jakes got a few there, i just might be interested. I can see his point, why have all this gear sitting there, they u dont use, funny how u collect stuff, for the sake of it. :)

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:38 am

jimiforrest wrote:
My wife and I met at Hammerjack's in Baltimore, Md at a rock show. A match made in heaven. We've been married for 13 years (we have 3 kids) and we still love to roll down the windows and crank up the music we loved when we met as well as the new stuff.

HAMMERJACKS!!

I miss that place-last show I went to there was Lynch Mob in March 1992. Those were the days. Today it's "they paved Hammerjacks-now it's a parking lot!" :cry:

Jimi, that's cool how you and your wife met. :D

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:21 pm

Jimi, said his was a "match made in Heaven" mine too! My wife and I met at a Great White show in 1991. I was with a buddy and she was with her boyfriend. We all became friends in the parking lot of the venue over a couple joints. We all partied ocassionally for about a year until Lisa, my wife, and her boyfriend decided to go live in Dallas TX. We lost contact for about 2 1/2 years, when one night out of the blue I get a phone call. It's Lisa..She's back in San Diego,...Without her boyfriend! So she asks me out on a date! We haven't left each others side since. I think it helps that we're both musicians and both enjoy the same music and humor.

I really believe Rock and Roll brings people together. :)

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:25 pm

I imagine Deansolos kids have a great arsenal of effectpedals, if any of them
is playing guitar that is ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:53 pm

Deansolo wrote:Jimi, said his was a "match made in Heaven" mine too! My wife and I met at a Great White show in 1991. I was with a buddy and she was with her boyfriend. We all became friends in the parking lot of the venue over a couple joints. We all partied ocassionally for about a year until Lisa, my wife, and her boyfriend decided to go live in Dallas TX. We lost contact for about 2 1/2 years, when one night out of the blue I get a phone call. It's Lisa..She's back in San Diego,...Without her boyfriend! So she asks me out on a date! We haven't left each others side since. I think it helps that we're both musicians and both enjoy the same music and humor.

I really believe Rock and Roll brings people together. :)

Aww...another great rock'n'roll romance :D Music definitely brings people together. I met one (now ex) boyfriend when he was the lead guitarist in a band that I sang in. We didn't turn out to be a match made in heaven, but we had a blast while we were together (5+ years). Anyone else want to share?

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:25 pm

Deansolo wrote:Bummer Dudes! My wife is the complete opposite!!! Total Jake fan! in fact, when she was 16, she and a friend hitchhiked from San Diego to the Us Festival just to see Jake and Ozzy! :wink:

Check this out... on April 5th we're going to Tracii's show and on the 9th we got tickets to Y&T!

My chick, she loves to ROCK! :D

Not all. She likes what she likes, I like what I like. I didn't get married to her because of her taste in music. :lol:

Postby BlacknGold » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 pm

Congrats to all of you. I, at 40, have come to the conclusion that I am a career bachelor. I'm too selfish with my free time to keep a full-time night woman for very long.

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...