Jake's musical education

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Secret Loser

Jake's musical education

Postby Fedaykin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 am

Were Jake's parents music teachers? I know Rhoads came from a family of musicians, and I know Jake was classically trained on piano from a very early age just as Van Halen was as well. Jake took his knowledge of the piano to the guitar, which is how he accelerated in skill so quickly. Also, I was wondering if anyone here had any recordings of his San Diego band Teaser. I heard they were great. Does anyone know if there was another guitarist in teaser as well?

Killer of Giants

Re: Jake's musical education

Postby MetalHead » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:43 am

His father was in the military.
Dunno 'bout his mother...
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Secret Loser

Postby Fedaykin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:23 pm

MetalHead wrote:His father was in the military.
Dunno 'bout his mother...

Yes, I heard his dad was in the Navy, but Jake was a member of Seal Team Six String! He defeated the forces of disco. His mother taught him Guitar Ninja Skills because it's hard to lug around a Steinway when you're taking ass and kicking names. Hooyaa!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:57 am

I don't believe his mother taught him piano as much
as she brought him a pianoteacher, or brought a pianoteacher
to him 8)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:24 pm

I believe at one point someone who either knows or is married to a former member of Teaser posted a few pictures of the band here. I have asked a few times about Teaser recordings but none have as yet turned up that I know of. Alot of known players (George Lynch, Craig Goldie, to name a couple) have said that Teaser was great and that Jake was just scary even back then.

Killer of Giants

Postby dixiefix » Wed May 09, 2012 6:55 am

I WANT TO KNOW MORE....... :)
------------------+-------------------
sorry peeps !!!! -i am a truth digger
Please dont mind,eh ? .....

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed May 09, 2012 8:20 am

dixiefix wrote:I WANT TO KNOW MORE....... :)

we all do ;)

Killer of Giants

Postby dixiefix » Fri May 11, 2012 8:42 am

i hope ''we alll'' want that :lol:

Postby kendra » Sun May 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Hello Board.

I'm the new girl around here. My brother introduced me to Ozzy and then I naturally started to collect pics and info about Jake and Randy. A bit less about Zakk though.

This is very interesting question , I always wondered if all great musicians have to start right from the craddle and learn music theory or is it possible to make your way to the world with an inborn talent like Hendrix did ? All I know is Hendrix did not know anything about music reading but he did not come from nowhere, I believe his dad was a musician too.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Wed May 16, 2012 3:21 pm

kendra wrote:Hello Board.

I'm the new girl around here. My brother introduced me to Ozzy and then I naturally started to collect pics and info about Jake and Randy. A bit less about Zakk though.

This is very interesting question , I always wondered if all great musicians have to start right from the craddle and learn music theory or is it possible to make your way to the world with an inborn talent like Hendrix did ? All I know is Hendrix did not know anything about music reading but he did not come from nowhere, I believe his dad was a musician too.

HENDRIX is outtasight, Master Musician. Rest in sweet harmony, Purple Haze genius. 8)

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Wed May 16, 2012 3:24 pm

JAKE E. LEE's mother insisted that her son learn piano first. An Classical at that: I'm sure that drove Jake sorta insane for he wanted to play the guitar first, his mom said no. Piano first and then the other instruments can follow, Mrs. Williams words ruled and paid off: JAKE has an outtasight Mom. 8)

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Some of this sounds somewhat familiar to me. Maybe in my reading of Jake in my youth, but really not for sure.
Kendra, I like that you said a little less about Zak. While he is great, I just think he may be a little overated. I really liked No Rest For The Wicked and I mostly liked what he did with Pride & Glory. I think that was his peak work. Dont get me wrong, he does have some other stuff that I liked with the Oz and BLS, but nothing compares to his beginning work to me. I was hoping since he basically got a new lease on life more recently, that his work would be different, but so far the same to me.
Hopefully the talks of Jake resurfacing in 2012 is for real.

Killer of Giants

Postby dixiefix » Wed May 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Shadow wrote:JAKE E. LEE's mother insisted that her son learn piano first. An Classical at that: I'm sure that drove Jake sorta insane for he wanted to play the guitar first, his mom said no. Piano first and then the other instruments can follow, Mrs. Williams words ruled and paid off: JAKE has an outtasight Mom. 8)

NO SHE WASN'T :!: :!: :!: :!: -JAKE WANTED IT (PIANO) ALL THE WAY.....UNTIL THE AGE OF 12 -HE STARTED PLAYING GUITAR WTHOUT HER KNOWLEDGE UNTIL HE WAS 14 , HE RUN AWAY FROM HOME AND WAS CAUGHT BY THE POLICE...... THAT'S IT

Killer of Giants

Postby dixiefix » Wed May 16, 2012 6:34 pm

dixiefix wrote:
Shadow wrote:JAKE E. LEE's mother insisted that her son learn piano first. An Classical at that: I'm sure that drove Jake sorta insane for he wanted to play the guitar first, his mom said no. Piano first and then the other instruments can follow, Mrs. Williams words ruled and paid off: JAKE has an outtasight Mom. 8)

NO SHE WASN'T :!: :!: :!: :!: -JAKE WANTED IT (PIANO) ALL THE WAY.....UNTIL THE AGE OF 12 -HE STARTED PLAYING GUITAR WTHOUT HER KNOWLEDGE UNTIL HE WAS 14 , HE RUN AWAY FROM HOME AND WAS CAUGHT BY THE POLICE...... THAT'S IT

OR 15..(!)

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed May 16, 2012 10:14 pm

:roll:

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...