New Member ( I love Jake) ~ Bark at the Moon!

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

New Member ( I love Jake) ~ Bark at the Moon!

Postby dannySatx » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:27 pm

Hello everybody! I saw Jake on the Ultimate Sin tour in Austin, TX opening for Metallica (master of puppets). My 2nd concert! It was amazing.

I love Jake's guitar playing. He was the best OZZY had since Randy and blows ZAKK away.

If Jake ever comes to Austin, I would go see him play. I also saw Badlands at the Backroom in Austin in around 1991 or 1992.

For fun (a few months back) I recorded "bark at the moon". Its me on guitar and bass and programmed drums. I just did it quick/for fun (it's not perfect). Used a Squier Tele into Logic amp simulators.

Jake E Lee!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI1jzSMH4g&feature=plcp

All Access Member

Re: New Member ( I love Jake) ~ Bark at the Moon!

Postby oleander » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Cool.

Welcome to the board Danny :)

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby dannySatx » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:00 pm

thanks, oleander!

All Access Member

Postby Kathy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:50 pm

That is Damn Good, Dan!!! :D And greatings from North Carolina!!
There are alot of nice people here too 8)

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby dannySatx » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:16 am

Thanks, Kathy:) There is also "Mean Street" from VH on my youtube page.

Back to Jake...

Bark at the Moon was my favorite Jake record (w/OZZY). I love his tone on that one. Not as much chorus. More raw.

I think Jake was a beautiful guitar player. So original. Sure would love to see/hear him rock that guitar again!

Zakk was all penatonic scales and too much vibrato/pinch harmonics ~ Jake smokes him.

Iommi, Rhodes, Lee. OZZY's best.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby dannySatx » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:19 am

PS...greetings from Austin, TX:) I have heard great things about Carolina. I bet it's a bit like the hill country here in central TX.

Jake E Lee!!!

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:37 pm

:o That was an amazing covering salute Stapleton to the Classic "Bark At the Moon" from OZZY's Ultimate Sin vintage treasure album recording: JAKE solo's are heavy rockin' on that album, too. 8) Solid!!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby dannySatx » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:40 am

Thanks! I noticed the tempo was a little slow...I also forgot to do the little runs in the end in between during the outro.

I also use some "string skipping" techinqies in the outro cause I can't stretch my fingers as far as jake (small hands).

Jake has some "signature licks" ~ it's crazy when he uses his left hand thumb on the fretboard for those huge stretches. He really owned the A+9 type barre chords...the "Jake" chord.

Jake E Lee!!!!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Secretloser » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:34 am

Welcome dannySatx!! Nice guitar work man but I'm disappointed you didn't film yourself. I would've loved to have seen you do some of
jake's classic moves hahaha. I must admit I'm quite envious of you. You've seen Jake with Ozzy & with Badlands! Can't get better than that! Can you tell me a little more of your memories of that Ultimate Sin gig? Man what I'd give to have been there!!!!!!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby dannySatx » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks, Secretloser:)

There is one part of the main riff nobody plays right...it's the part where the cymbals and bass come in in the intro...the little stabs..."ba,ba,ba BA-BA". I was able to pick it out listening to the raw Jake tracks on youtube. It's played on the d and g strings ~ (d string always listed first, then g string) 10/10, 9/10, 5/10, 9/10 then an a 5 chord (the main chord) 7th fret on d string, 9th on g string and 10th on b string. Make sense? I know this is how Jake played it. Zakk played it a different way...

I also met Ray Gillan at that Badlands show. I saw them shoundcheck. I was 17...I got paid to "stand by the monitor board and not let anybody touch it" when the engineer walked around. I saw his rig up close. Orange plexi marshalls. He has a ts9 tube screamer...don't remember much else.

I ate BBQ (the catering) with Ray Gillan. He looked at me and said "briskit"? I didn't even know what it was haha! My best friend/singer at the time took dragged Ray into the bathroom and sang for him. He was very polite and cool about it. He smiled and nodded as my friend sang "standin' here I got my eye on you". One he got to the scream (love-love-love-high wire baby) Ray laughed ans said hell yeah. My friend was actually amazing on vocals and 17. The we watched the soundcheck. It's kind of a blur...been a long time!

I was only 11 at the Ultimate Sin tour. Don't remember a lot. I was blown away, for sure. Also loved Metallica. Jake was the reason I was into OZZY (and Randy and Sabbath). I was over it by the time crazy babies came around. OZZY blew it firing Jake (for my taste anyway).

Killer of Giants

Postby Aga-Ta » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Great job :D
Also, I regret that you don't have recorded yourself while playing the guitar. 8)
It's unfortunate that only the sound .. and there is no vision :wink:

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby dannySatx » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:43 pm

...if you guys want, I can slap something together. Let me see what I can come up with. Have to go to work roght now...let me work on this:)

Thanks, Aga-Ta!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Secretloser » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:15 am

Great to hear about the two gigs dannySatx. Thanks for giving us your memories on them. I love it! If you're gonna film yourself, don't forget the white boots & Japanese arm bands/leg bands hahaha! Jake is the GREATEST!!!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby dannySatx » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:00 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1xVf__6 ... e=youtu.be

...just threw this together. It's a little example of how to play some of the key hooks in bark at the moon (and goofin' off LITTLE W/RNR rebel and high wire too).

Wrong guitar (again) for metal and just using amp simulators in logic (sorry for the computer noise in the background).

I may do another explaining the lead/solo if you guys want (?)

You guys rock some Jake today now!

JAKE!!!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby dannySatx » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:13 am

PS...OOPS! I forgot the white boots, secretloser:) HA!

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...