Other bands that sound like Badlands?

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Other bands that sound like Badlands?

Postby 3dayphunk » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Curious if any of you dig other bands that have a sound similar to Badlands? Name some albums please, as I'm looking...

All Access Member

Re: Other bands that sound like Badlands?

Postby Charvelised » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:09 am

Red Sea (Robin Kyle has an excellent Voice)
King Karma (Very Zep Too)
The Quill (Very Ray Sounding)

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:01 pm

My mind is a total freeze-blank at the moment: "sorry" about that but I must say when it when comes to dessert Bayou/Blues Rock sound I always think of the early legendary Music Artitst/Bands like the BAND (their incrediable) Creedance Clearwater and Bobby Blue BLAND (my Mom's favorties)..'that pave the way for so many fantastic bands/Music Artitsts that came after them: of course BADLANDS is one of many of those unique bands. :)

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Hey Charvelised, I will have to check them out.
I find myself listening to a band called Voodooland alot, outside of when I am in Badlands mode.
http://www.amazon.com/Give-Me-Air-Voodo ... voodooland

If I want to go back in time a bit, I listen to some Cactus or any of the bands that you may have heard Badlands cover, such as Free or Grand Funk.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby tenfingersofdoom » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:42 pm

When i saw Badlands Saraya opened. You may like them

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby 3dayphunk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:57 am

Thanks guys.

I've started checking out some of these bands. King Karma seems cool. Cactus I've checked out before and what I've checked out is great.

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:13 pm

King Karma is indeed pretty descent. I downloaded it from Amazon a couple days ago and have been listening to it since. Good stuff. Voodooland captures more of the Badlands vibe, but King Karma has deffinately got that 70's thing going on.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby 3dayphunk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Whoa, just checked out Voodooland and definitely agree! Like it the best so far...though bummed to see it appears to be a single album project with multiple guests rather than a full band?

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:53 am

Yeah, Voodooland rank highly in my playlist. Tracks 6,7 and 9 are the standout tracks for me, but the whole thing is great. Karl Cochran is a guy who has always seem to play on the sidelines to many other heavyweights. Definately shows his chops here. Also, kind of interesting to read the story of how him and some of the others have crossed paths. Like John Corabi and Eric Singer on the ESP project, which to me is another hidden gem, if you are in to the cover thing.

http://www.karlcochran.com/music.htm

Anyways, glad you like it and hope the others will find it as good as we do.

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:45 am

Just got a message back from Karl. I had asked him if he had any future plans with the Voodooland project. He said, he has future plans for a live release, but that is about it. Too bad, would love to see this as an official band and not a project. I think preferably with John Corabi handling all the vocals.

I actually started a thread about building a band for Jake some time ago here:
http://www.jakeelee.com/html/index.phpn ... php?t=2123

Karl was my choice for him as a bass player. While Karl is the guitar player here on Voodooland, he has handled the duties of playing bass in other bands. Also, shortly after Jake met up with Brian Tichy during some things involving S.U.N. I guess that is about as close as I will get to building a fantasy band.

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:49 am

The link is not working, but it is titled Fantasy Band further down the first page on Jakes Forum.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby saltpeanuts » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:40 pm

Russell Allen from Symphony X and Adrenaline Mob had a solo album several years back called Atomic Soul. Really good and in a similar vein listen to Voodoo Hand as an example.

Don't laugh, but Bo Bice, the guy that sang "In a Dream" a capella on American Idol a few years back has a decent second CD, "See the Light" that has some good songs that are kind of a mix between Badlands and Black Crowes. Not heavy enough for me, kind of countryish, but still fun.

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:49 pm

I listened to the song samples that are offered on Amazon for Russel Allen and Bo Bice. I like Adrrenaline Mob. Just from what I heard from Atomic Soul, I would pobably like it better than Symphony X. I wont laugh about Bo Bice. I never watched American Idol, but have seen his perfomance of In A Dream. It took some balls to get up and do that and actually think he did a nice job. Certainly sounds better than all these other singers on Youtube trying to audition for Jake. I would say that See The Light falls into a southern rock category. He has got that Greg Allman thing happening. I may pick out and download a song or two from these selections.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby saltpeanuts » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks macheted01. Yeah, I like his version of I*n a Dream. It was truly one of those "Oh Shit" moments on musical TV. I've never watched the show since. lol.

Another was Patrice Pike's performance of My Iron Lung on Rockstar Supernova, specifically at the 2:55 mark. Heck, Jake likes female singers, maybe he should call her.
http://youtu.be/GUGCsbhhDak

Russell Allen is a bad mofo, no matter what band he's in, and I like them all.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby 3dayphunk » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm digging Rival Sons at the moment. Not necessarily like Badlands...but has that 70s hard rock feel.

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...