Jake on That Metal Show

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Jake on That Metal Show

Postby AxxeAttack » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi everyone. New to the forum. I've been a long time fan of J.E.L. since BatM. Always have loved his thick lush distorted tones. Haven't heard him since Badlands. Although I have heard a few tracks from Guitar Warrior. When he started banging out chords on That Metal Show, I was surprised by his sound. Kinda half expecting that Ozzy/Badlands tone, but was instead bombarded with this rude, klanky,super distorted tone. When I got a good zoomed in shot of his Charvel, I was surprised that he was playing a P-90 style lead pickup. Well that explains the tone. I have seen him with the old SG with the single P-90, but not in his white Charvel. By the end of the show I was actually diggin' the sound. I haven't been following what Jake has been up to in the last few years, just glad to see he is back in the groove!

All Access Member

Re: Jake on That Metal Show

Postby macheted01 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:26 pm

I made almost the same comment on a different thread, but it will fit in nicely here as well. I was not too fond of his tone on TMS. Too, high gain for me. The notes were kind of run on, if you know what I mean. Not able to decipher one from the other, as well as you normally would. I would blame that on the amp he was using vs. the pickup. He has been using the P90 for some time now. I prefer his tone through the Orange amps vs. the EVH that he was using on TMS. His playing is still all Jake. He was pulling all his tricks and stuff, that he is known for. Kind of hard to describe a P90, but somewhere in the neighborhood of being between a single coil and humbucker for those that are not up to par with the technical end of things. Not as forgiving of a sound if you are sloppy, which makes it even cooler that Jake uses one.
I was a little bummed that they did not let out anymore info of his upcoming effort, but great to see Jake doing his thing, none the less. How would it be, to be the guy that won Stump the Trunk? Very cool. Hopefully next weeks episode they will shed a little more light, since he is the guest guitarist again.
Oh, I also wanted to mention the room acoustics are pretty tough there as well. I know when they have a drummer it is even worse.

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:28 pm

By the way, AxxeAttack, welcome to the forum.

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:52 pm

just about every guitarist has bad tone on TMS...I think it has a lot to do with not turning up to loud and as mentioned room acoustic's. Speakers also have a big effect on tone at low volumes so if he's running something like V30's they sound awful with low volume playing imo

as far as p90's I love them in the neck position for soloing but haven't really tried a bridge one for more than a minute.....I am currently building a tele that will be p90 loaded, can't wait......I think his might be p-rails judging by the first picture....kinda looks like there is a rail close to the bridge, although could just be lighting

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Yeah, it was raw-rough around the edges the music tone legendary Rocker Jake E. E was playing yet still with all it's rawness it had a heavy skilled high-energy to it: I'm sure (like said in some comments above) many of TMS guests musicians that played experience some kind of technical music-setup problem here and there while in action...'I thought JAKE was pretty "awesome" in his raw-trailblazer glory and clearity grooves too. Plus, also the other guests musicians Scott Gorham THIN LIZZY legend-fame w/new Vocalist Ricky Warwick their new band Black Star Riders sounds intriquing, also a musician name Neil Fallon from a band called CLUTCH, he was pretty cool..'like the advice that Metal-frontman legend Lemmy MOTORHEAD give him/Neil about calling one of CLUTCH'S songs a Ace of Spades anthem-piece and should be the highlight in all their Concerts, that was cool of him to say to this young musician/and he felt honor by it. All in all enjoyed this episode 1207 of TMS, also: great show AND guests musicians (all of which are Monster talented) and was blown away when JAKE E. LEE the da Oge himself give :o away a prize Charvel guitar to a fan (wearng a Micheal Schenker T-shirt) in the audience when TV Host Eddie Trunk didn't give the right answer to one of his STUMP The Trunk quiz questions: also another big-surprise was when one of the members of MACHINE HEAD Phil Demmel was present, came up and asked a question ...'he has a cousin that play's in one of Trunk's fav Rock band...'Eddie couldn't answer that either the answer was Troy from TESLA. How cool so Phil from MACHINE Head and Troy from TESLA are cousins and famous kick-buns Monster musicians, too!! Great TMS Episode 1207 and guest(s) and surprises...'I totally dug it and look forward to watching many times more. And look forward to JAKE's next guest appearance on VH1-Eddie Trunk's TMS. :twisted: 8) Peace-out!!

Return to All things Jake E Lee...