Jake with Ozzy...

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: Jake with Ozzy...

Postby Stargazer » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:01 pm

MetalHead wrote:
harddriver wrote:I have never been able to understand why all these music critics and Ozzy always put down the Ultimate Sin album.

I've heard most people say it was too commercial, to poppy, to cheesy. :S

However, I can't agree with you on BATM an TUS beeing the best Ozzy albums. Don't misunderstand me, Jake is one of my main influences when
it comes to guitarplaying but musically I think Blizzard of Ozz is the best solo-album Ozzy ever released. BATM and TUS share the 2nd place though ;)

Yeah The Ultimate Sin was a "hair metal" album and a lot of people didn't like that. jake's guitar playing was amazing though and the songs were great and the music was heavier than most hair metal. No Rest For The Wicked could be called hair metal too but that never got the bad reviews The Ultimate Sin did even though I think TUS is far better.

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:33 pm

OOOOOps sorry about the double post :oops: Cant really disagree with ya stargazer because i love Blizzrd as well. I just dont see how Ozzy continually overlooks and ignores TUS when it was one of his best selling albums and one of his best period.

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:39 pm

If there's something to criticize in TUS, and I think that's what made critics cringe, is the fact that sometimes the overall sound of the album is overflowed by keyboards. Adding keyboards in the 80's for a Hard Rock or Metal band was just selling out pure and simple. As a fan of Van Halen, I can say the harcore fans, at first, were put off by Jump (even if it became a huge success) or I'll Wait which were keyboards songs when 1984 came out. Even some guys in the band (David Lee Roth and Michael Anthony) didn't know what to make of these songs because of their fans' reaction and their reputation as a wild guitar band. Same thing for ZZ Top.
Keyboards in the 80's for a Hard Rock band was the devil, quite ironically. And don't forget about Metallica's and Trash growing influence in the 80's.

Jake's guitars were even more drowned by keyboards live, just look at the TUS vid and the three songs from the '83 US Festival, this is just ridiculous. It was almost a sabotage.
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:17 pm

I have to agree. VH diver down and 1984 ,5150allthe way to the FUCK records were all slugged with keybourds wich have no place in hard rock or metal. oh by the way hell_tanner love the Tommy Bolin thing rock on bro.

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:49 pm

Well, that wasn't my point. What I wanted to point out is that, in the 80's, certain Hard and Metal bands started injecting keyboards into their sound just because it was the in thing to do at the time, because New Wave was huge, because they wanted to sound more commercial, etc...
For certain it didn't work, Blackfoot comes to my mind at the moment, because I guess it was so remote from the natural core of their music, it (almsot) didn't work LIVE for Ozzy because sometimes we couldn't even hear the guitar, and for others it worked, like VH. I'll Wait is one my favourite VH song and it's a keyboard song. Damn, VH even put keyboards way before Diver Down, "...and The Cradle Will Rock" off of Women and Children First IS a keyboard song, you'll never know just by listening to it but it is. Eddie just plugged his keyboard into his Marshall and bang the shit out of it (breaking keys in the process) and it sounded fabulous. It's just that VH used keyboards in a fresh and unique way, it didn't sound forced like other bands.
Keyboards WERE evil in the 80's, that was a general and sometimes wrong consensus and that was what I was trying to say.
That particular instrument can have its place in Hard Rock (where would be Deep Purple without keyboards?), one just have to find its place in a band's music without transforming it and that's what happened for certain bands.
Last edited by Hell_Tanner on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tommy Bolin Forum

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:26 pm

I agree that keyboards do have a place in hard rock. Deep Purple, some Zepp. even the Malmsteen stuff comes to mind. I think the Sound of 80's keyboards sucked. From a gear standpoint, lots of polyphonic keyboards flooded the consumer market at that time as well as the earliest digital processors... The 80's were a tremendous growth period for the semiconductor industry (I was in the semicon industry in the 80's and 90's). With lots of powerful chips came lots of new musical devices, unfortunately alot of them sound bad by todays standard. I think producers overused the technology at that time because it was so new. I think thats why some 80's hard rock sound so processed.

Anyway thats my take on it. :D
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby Stargazer » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:46 pm

Eddie Van Halen inspired me to learn the keyboards. I love the keyboards in Van Halen. I like the keyboards a lot on all the Ozzy albums too. Keyboards are great when in the right hands. Guys like Tony Carey, Don Airey, Jon Lord ect. can play awesome solos on them.

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:05 pm

Have you ever heard how Don Airey's keyboards drowned Jake's guitar on the 83' US Festival, especially on "Crazy Train"?

I don't know if it was the climatic conditions, the sound mix, a band's decision or even Don himself but I can tell you I CURSE that man everytime I hear that concert! :evil: :lol:

Tommy Bolin Forum

All Access Member

Postby Stargazer » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:56 pm

I think it was fine although I'd much rather hear Jake. Atleast we got to hear Jake's solos clearly! :D

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:59 am

Being a singer always thought Ozzy was Not very good!

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:28 am

there is a rawness about Ozzy's singing as well as a karisma I think thats why he is still around he was nevre trying to be like any one else thats why jake is a great guitar player too he is his own man and sound I just wish Ozzy really took andavantage of thet back in the day! when it counted.
Even through the sludge of their rochy working relationship they made two great albums together.
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:44 am

I think that even though Oz is not a great singer...He's got a great sense of melody. That IMO is what makes him so good. He always says that the Beatles were a big influence on him. What Ozzy lacks in technical ability he makes up in his ability to write great songs.

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:50 am

Ozzy Never has never written a song!
Written by Geezer!
or bob daisley

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:57 am

Charvelised wrote:Ozzy Never has never written a song!
Written by Geezer!
or bob daisley

Not true. Goodbye to Romance was written by Ozzy. He was singing the words and melody and Randy told him he had something that would fit it. That song became Goodbye to Romance.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:58 am

I'm talking about the solo stuff.

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...