Jake with Ozzy...

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Re: Jake with Ozzy...

Postby BadSeed » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:17 am

Do you guys know how boring it wold be to play the EXACT same set list, same order, same everything for a solid year after every lp release? Add to it that every night ended in the same 2 boring Sabbath songs. I think Jake was bored out of his mind, only getting to play a few of his own songs every night, and listening to Ozzy hackjob vocals probably drove him nuts.I know when Im at a show an the singer blows, its hard to enjoy the show.

Ray Gillian mustve sounded like an angel to Jake. And when he discovered that Ray could sing that good consistantly, he knew it was the only choice to make.Jake couldve easily slid into his dissapearing act much sooner had Ray not called him.

BTW ,did anyone here know that Jake was set to autidtion for Testament in 1994? They didnt bother bringing him down after James Murphy had his.Jake in testament wouldve been very intersting.

AS for Ozzy, the guy couldnt write a song on his own if his life depended on it, that is a fact.He and Sharon know to surround him with talented writers, that is all there is too it.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:17 pm

BadSeed wrote:BTW ,did anyone here know that Jake was set to autidtion for Testament in 1994? They didnt bother bringing him down after James Murphy had his.Jake in testament wouldve been very intersting.

8O

You better have some sources for that ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby BadSeed » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:20 pm

Guitar For The Practicing Musician from when the "Low" cd was released.It was the interview with James and Eric .That info is in the paragraphs leading to the interview.I'd have to dig around to find that copy, but I remember that was the case.It was around the Wicked Alliance period.

Postby Fretman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:55 pm

Or, perhaps Testament was going to audition for Jake's band? :lol:

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:04 pm

I've never heard about that Testament audition before! Pretty...interesting stuff I must say.
I'm amazed the guys in Testament could've thought about including Jake in their band, seems like an odd addition/collaboration. I wonder if Jake was aware of that. :idea:
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:18 am

it would be fun to hear him doing old-school Testament(Skolnick) :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:56 pm

Didn't Ozzy tried to get Jake back in the band after some time?

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:06 pm

yes. When Zakk first left I believe.

Mid 90's, where they first hired Skolnick, then Holmes.
They should've kept Skolnick.

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:00 pm

I agree with Metalhead Holmes sucks big time he has no passion in his playin as for Skolnick he is a real shred deomnd and its safe to say has more going for him as a musician the wylde does hell just listen to some old Testament or Savetage or anything he did with tuck andres
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:52 pm

i don't think Holmes suck. he did a great job on the Randy material.
but I feel that he was much more of a copycat and never put
his own playing into Randys riffs and leads.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Daynah » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:04 am

MetalHead wrote:I've heard that Geezer wrote all the lyrics ... and I guess Iommi
did all the music.

Ozzy would come up with the melodies, and Geezer wrote the lyrics for the Sabbath tunes...........

*ps*Sorry for bumping a year old thread, I just joined today:)

All Access Member

Postby rob919 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:18 am

just read an interview in power play magazine with bob daisley ex ozzy bassist, he says that he wrote most of the lyrics on all the ozzy albums up to no more tears no matter whether it was randy, jake or zack on guitar he was always called up to write but stopped doing so eventually as ozzy screwed him out of his royalties.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby JR97 » Mon May 26, 2008 2:31 pm

I"m going to bump this ancient thread. But there is an interview I read a few days ago where Jake was going on and on about how Ozzy and Sharon knew he was an always late kinda person. His audition, his first flight, and so on and so on. From how Jake went on about it, I gathered it was as big deal.

Having worked in studios and being around professional musicians and whatnot for 10 years in my early days, I can tell you that time is money. A lot of money. It's one thing if you're the star. It's another if you're a hired gun. So I can only imagine Ozzy fuming, pacing, and looking at his watch every 5 min. wondering where the heck his $500/week guitarist was as the studio and engineer bill racks up at $100-$300 an hour.

Also, in that interview, Jake talked quite a bit about not getting along with the producer of TUS. How every little thing was a fight. This would have driven me nuts as a guitarist or a producer. As a guitarist, I would have been looking for an out since creativity and composition was being stifled. As a producer, again time is money and who is this hired gun telling me how to produce a record.

Anywho... I think it was for the best Jake moved on. As much as the thought of a third Ozzy album with Jake E. Lee would have been Christmas on the 4th of July, part of me wonders how good it would have been. Would it have been going through the motions? Would there have been the amount of creative growth as there was between BATM and TUS?

And to chime in about George Lynch.. dude rips on the leads, but imho that's about it. Don't get me wrong, I love his stuff. But his rhythm playing and song writing seem pretty predictable or passe. Apparently Ozzy agreed with that in an interview and I recall Don Dokken always complaining about Lynch's song writing. However, Mr. Scary ranks up there in the top 5 guitar tunes of all time!

Anywho... sorry for the long post. Jake E. Lee is my idol. Hope to hear something new from him at least once in the next decade!

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Mon May 26, 2008 4:05 pm

MetalHead wrote:yes. When Zakk first left I believe.

Mid 90's, where they first hired Skolnick, then Holmes.
They should've kept Skolnick.

Don't forget Steve Vai who co-wrote "My Little Man" for Ozzmosis.

How is Lynch's songwriting predictable when he wrote a blues based album "Wicked Sensation", Industrial project "Stonehouse" with Saigon Kick singer Matt Kramer. Industrial/alternative w/London LeGrand "Microdot", "Smoke This" was rap-metal and his new band Souls Of We "Let The Truth Be Known" is emo/alternative. Not to mention the grunge fest of Dokken's "Dysfunctional" and "Shadowlife". Seems pretty diverse to me. :wink:

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby JR97 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:44 am

MrScary1971 wrote: How is Lynch's songwriting predictable when he wrote a blues based album "Wicked Sensation", Industrial project "Stonehouse" with Saigon Kick singer Matt Kramer. Industrial/alternative w/London LeGrand "Microdot", "Smoke This" was rap-metal and his new band Souls Of We "Let The Truth Be Known" is emo/alternative. Not to mention the grunge fest of Dokken's "Dysfunctional" and "Shadowlife". Seems pretty diverse to me. :wink:

I"m mainly referring to the Dokken days to compare with Jake E. Lee's Ozzy days. Wicked Sensation is the only non-Dokken tune I paid attention to. Rockin song. But imho, there is no uniqueness to his rhythm playing. After I made that post yesterday I went back and listened to all of Back for the Attack and Under and Lock and Key just to see if I was remembering them right and sure enough... lol.

In contrast, since I found this jake site a couple of days ago I've been listening to nothing but Jake's Ozzy tunes including live. It just seem to me that Jake has a lot more going on rhythm and songwriting wise. I'm not cutting on Lynch.. dude rips like no other. But to my ears, his songs (which do rock) and rhythms just don't seem to have a distinct uniqueness to them. But again, I'm just talking about the 80's Dokken days. But also, diverse doesn't always mean unique. i'll also reiterate that his leads just flat out rip yer head off. Amazing stuff. I think I'm going to go back and re-learn a lot of his leads.

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...