Thoughts on Red Dragon Cartel, Out Now

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Re: Thoughts on Red Dragon Cartel, Out Now

Postby Moose6 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:03 pm

I am SO glad Jake is back! Everything he's done is awesome to me... Bark, U.Sin, and Badlands (especially Badlands), even Retraced. This record is different, but it still rocks. I was a little worried about the lead singer too (like a lot of people) until I head the song "Slave" on the album. That song seems to be made just for him. I think it fits his range well. In any case, it doesn't matter if Jake had Alvin the Chipmunk singing, the point is he's back, and he's rockin'.... HARD!!!

I think the album is great. Oh, I got the Best Buy version with the extra track and I'm glad I did. I wish it also had the acoustic version of "Feeder". I heard it on some post and it's really good. My favorite songs are Deceived, Feeder, Fall from the Sky, and Slave.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 pm

Moose6 wrote:I am SO glad Jake is back! Everything he's done is awesome to me... Bark, U.Sin, and Badlands (especially Badlands), even Retraced. This record is different, but it still rocks. I was a little worried about the lead singer too (like a lot of people) until I head the song "Slave" on the album. That song seems to be made just for him. I think it fits his range well. In any case, it doesn't matter if Jake had Alvin the Chipmunk singing, the point is he's back, and he's rockin'.... HARD!!!

I think the album is great. Oh, I got the Best Buy version with the extra track and I'm glad I did. I wish it also had the acoustic version of "Feeder". I heard it on some post and it's really good. My favorite songs are Deceived, Feeder, Fall from the Sky, and Slave.

AWESOME, I finally got my JAKE's RDC yesterday and shall be listening to it before this weekend is over: so excited to hear all the new grooves and what I heard so far like "Feeder and Deceived" (are awesome kick-ass groove/vibes) there's no doubt in my mind that this is another Master trailblazing recording CD from JAKE E. LEE and his new band RED DRAGON CARTEL Jake E. Lee, Ronnie Mancuso, DJ Smith & Jonas Fairley are delivery a mighty passionate punch on their Debut Album. SOLID through n through!! Can't wait to hear War Machine, Big Mouth, Slave etc.,. etc.,. great looking band Logo RDC dragon, too.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:36 am

Long awaited and it doesn't disappoint.

1. Deceived - Very Bark at the Moon-ish riff. One of the best songs on the disc. 1 of 2 favorites.

2. Shout It Out - Foot stomping, fist pumping, heavy beat. Love this song! This one will be fun to be in the audience for live! 1 of 2 favorites.

3. Feeder (featuring Robin Zander of Cheap Trick) - not a favorite of mine although, Zander's voice goes great with Jake's tune. Not fond of the lyrics in this song whatsoever.

4. Fall From The Sky - I dare say this "ballad-esque" tune contains some of Jake's best playing on this disc.

5. Wasted (With Paul DiAnno) - Ick. This is the song that will be programmed out of regular play on my stereo. Not a fan of DiAnno's vocals and the overall tune (outside of the solo) sucks.

6. Slave - another that will be programmed out of regular play on my stereo. Repetitive riff. One of the better songs vocally speaking, though.

7. Big Mouth (featuring Maria Brink of In This Moment) - very dark and slow paced. I do like it though. Maria Brink's vocals go surprisingly well with Jake's playing here. Very well, as a matter of fact.

8. War Machine - as said in prior posts, this is very Black Sabbath-ish. Very catchy, good tune.

9. Redeem Me (with Sass Jordan) - song #3 that will be programmed out of regular play for me. Not a fan of Sass Jordan's voice so much. Not digging this one at all. Total mismatch for this band.

10. Exquisite Tenderness - what can you say? A piano solo by Jake. Very heartfelt. Total surprise for me here.

11. American Dream - very decent bonus tune. Again, nice song for highlighting the vocalist with a decent guitar solo.

Postby kyoshisama » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:17 am

Well I think Jake has done a great Job after being out of the limelight for such a long time , his guitar playing is amazing so many styles of playing while having fun and enjoying being back , what a great album after 20 years , cant wait for the next one . I love the way he does his thing and being not self centered opted to have other singers come along for the ride mixed the band up a lil bit all he wanted to do was make a great album play the guitar the only way he can and have fun ..
WELL DONE JAKE E LEE

Postby kyoshisama » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:00 am

Doobie wrote:Long awaited and it doesn't disappoint.

1. Deceived - Very Bark at the Moon-ish riff. One of the best songs on the disc. 1 of 2 favorites.

2. Shout It Out - Foot stomping, fist pumping, heavy beat. Love this song! This one will be fun to be in the audience for live! 1 of 2 favorites.

3. Feeder (featuring Robin Zander of Cheap Trick) - not a favorite of mine although, Zander's voice goes great with Jake's tune. Not fond of the lyrics in this song whatsoever.

4. Fall From The Sky - I dare say this "ballad-esque" tune contains some of Jake's best playing on this disc.

5. Wasted (With Paul DiAnno) - Ick. This is the song that will be programmed out of regular play on my stereo. Not a fan of DiAnno's vocals and the overall tune (outside of the solo) sucks.

6. Slave - another that will be programmed out of regular play on my stereo. Repetitive riff. One of the better songs vocally speaking, though.

7. Big Mouth (featuring Maria Brink of In This Moment) - very dark and slow paced. I do like it though. Maria Brink's vocals go surprisingly well with Jake's playing here. Very well, as a matter of fact.

8. War Machine - as said in prior posts, this is very Black Sabbath-ish. Very catchy, good tune.

9. Redeem Me (with Sass Jordan) - song #3 that will be programmed out of regular play for me. Not a fan of Sass Jordan's voice so much. Not digging this one at all. Total mismatch for this band.

10. Exquisite Tenderness - what can you say? A piano solo by Jake. Very heartfelt. Total surprise for me here.

11. American Dream - very decent bonus tune. Again, nice song for highlighting the vocalist with a decent guitar solo.

WELL I DISAGREE WITH YOU ON SOME OF YOUR COMMENTS , I think Sass has done a great job , remember the album is about Jake talking about the last 20 years really everything is different , the vocalists even some band members swap about , Jakes expressing everything in many ways I applaud him on a great album , and Feeder is rated as one of the top songs ... keep listening and feeling don't just listen Feel the music

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:44 am

I don't need to be told to "feel" Jake's music. I've been listening to this man play since the early 80's and he doesn't have a fan that is more passionate about his music than me. He's my favorite. Not every song that any artist writes or plays is perfect - and, that includes Jake. I was giving my opinion and personal listening pleasure picks from the new CD. If you don't agree then you have that right. And, I still stand by my words regarding the Sass collaboration. Yuck. :wink:

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:17 pm

:D Excellent SOLID straight at ya new groove 8O :twisted: :D heavy vibes from JAKE E. LEE and his band RED DRAGON CARTEL - Jake, Ronnie M., DJ Smith, Jonas and Music-Master guests totally kicked-it solid all the way. ALL the song tracks are powerful: "Shout It OUT, Deceived, Redeem Me, Slave and Exquisite Tenderness are my favorites from the 10/11 (w/bonus depending) song tracks. AWESOME, new album debut from RDC strong passionate pulse throughout. Oh, yeah "Wasted" is an acquire taste it's very very gruff-rough sounding but I did dig-it all the same!! FABULOUS job well done, Mr. Lee and Company: you guys Rock Solid!!!! "Shout it Out" I lov, love lOVE that one and the live performance that goes with it, too :!: You guys delivered whole-Hearts. 8)

Killer of Giants

Postby Aga-Ta » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:05 am

I am very pleased that the new album finally appeared :D
And it's a really good album ;)
Very diverse which I think is a plus - because everyone will find a song that would suit him the most :)
Of course, there are a few "hits " Shout it Out , Deceived , War Machine , Big Mouth . But at first listen most to me fell into the ear "Slave" and I see that I am in a small group of people who like this song .. :)
And I not focus on the riffs , or their novelty - only on the general perception of music .
It will come later ;)
What the song from Sass - at the beginning also avoided it .. but after some time tamed and very much appreciate her vocal - she sang really well :)
The song is actually a little different - more like the Badlands , and even has a lot of accretions country .. but it is not so bad ;)
The least I like the song " Wasted " .. I do not like this type of vocal ... and riff in plaster song reminds me too much what Jake did on his first solo album .
Smacks to me somewhat a repeat of entertainment ..
Also, I really like the instrumental song on the piano - very nice to listen to ;) :D
Overall - great job :) 8)

Postby ReverendBow » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:19 pm

The CD Rocks.

-Jake's playing is incredible
-The rhythm section Is Solid
-The Singer Sucks... There are so many other guys out there that could rip up Vocals with Jake's playing (Jeff Scott Soto, John Corabi, etc.) D.J. Smith just doesn't sound... Right...

But the CD is great and it is great to hear Jake tearing it up again

I wonder if Ozzy would have the balls to go after Jake for Deceived's Riff, being so close to Bark At The Moon... That would be interesting in Court, "well Mr Osbourne who wrote the original music for Bark At the Moon....?"

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:54 pm

Redeem Me gets worse every time I hear it. Vocally horrible.

Killer of Giants

Killer of Giants

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:51 pm

damn it no shops are stocking this yet (and no I don't want the itunes version, I want the hard copy) .... fuck I need to hear this :D :D :roll:

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:13 am

At ReverendBow, maybe that is the plan. Never thought about that. I doubt he would. It would re-open too many doors. Something he, or Sharon would not want to face.

Postby mindcrime30 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:30 am

Hi all, glad to be on the board. Like many of you, I loved the album, and still listen on a regular basis. There are some weaker spots, and overall I think I was hoping for a little more from Jake, but it was still a strong first release. (Thanks to Doobie for the layout which I will be using as a template)

1. Deceived - BATM put in a time tunnel, stepping out in 2014. Some were happy with the tune revisiting the classic riff, others looked at it as a bit of a cop out. I am certainly in agreement with the former, and this adrenaline fueled foot stomper is a blazing start to the new album. I was amazed at how fresh this song sounded, and it was a great way to show the world that the Jake we love is back, but not without change. 4.5/5

2. Shout It Out - Whats the heaviest thing you can buy with 100 bucks? Prior to this release it would probably be some obscure lab made element. But now, it would surely be 100 digital downloads of Shout It Out. The balance between heavy and groovy on this song is not to be overlooked, and the song sits comfortably among the best of the album. 4.5/5

3. Feeder (featuring Robin Zander of Cheap Trick) - Groove is a word that comes to mind often when listening to this album, and this song is no exception. This is one of the few songs on the album that feels special, giving the feeling that you aren't listening to a by the numbers hard rock record, but something unique. 4/5

4. Fall From The Sky - A great hair in the wind type song, and one that I felt was perfectly timed in the context of the album. We were first greeted with a rocker to get the blood pumping, then were met with in your face heaviness, and a solid Lee styled groove track. This song isn't particularly special, and I could see it coming from a good number of bands, but the timing made this song stand out. A great way to get your mood back to earth, and ready for the rest of the album. 4/5

5. Wasted (With Paul DiAnno) - No. I'm not sure how this song made it past the first round of cuts. Not acceptable to release as a professional group of musicians. 2/5

6. Slave - Slave is a tricky track to review. I'm still not sure how I fell about it, but I think its growing on me. The opening riff is heavy and juicy, but I'm worried the song might be a bit extreme for my taste. As quickly as my doubts arise, they are silenced when the track breaks down into a more digestible rhythm. So far so good, but the song really doesn't go anywhere from there. Good riffs and leads, decent vocals, but this is a song that I can hear literally thousands of bands making. 3.5/5

7. Big Mouth (featuring Maria Brink of In This Moment) - I don't know very much of the In This Moment catalog, but I am mildly aware of their hits. This song pretty much reflects what you would hear from an ITM release, but Jake is sure to throw in some of his non-traditional flair, and Brink isn't afraid to step out of the box with her vocal delivery and timing. I enjoyed this song much more than expected, the Lee and Brink have a surprisingly strong chemistry. 4/5

8. War Machine - Black Sabbath from head to toe. It's not a bad song, but it is honestly to much of a clone for my taste. 3/5

9. Redeem Me (with Sass Jordan) - This is the song I was waiting for, I was scared we weren't going to get it as the album was nearing its close. This is a song for all the Badlands fans, and Jordan absolutely nails the feel. This song would not be out of place on any of Badlands releases, which is not surprising, as Sass Jordan was listening to the catalog around the time she hit the studio with Jake. Redeem Me didn't knock me off my feet immediately, but once I gave it a few spins and really got into the feel of the song, I was absolutely amazed at the vibe. 4.5/5

10. Exquisite Tenderness - Good for what it is, a cool treat for all of Jake's fans. No Rating

11. American Dream - Great bonus track, but I hate the fact that they throw it at the end of the album, talk about completely throwing off the flow. I get that it is a bonus add on, but it would have worked much better in the actual track-list. As a side note, this song is miles ahead of Wasted, which would have been a better fit as a bonus track. 3.5/5

Overall: As I said above, it is a great album, and has Jake E Lee written all over it. The album does have a few weak spots, but it is much stronger than a lot of recent releases. 4/5

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...