Well Hello

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Well Hello

Postby dave1021 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:22 pm

Howdy
My name is Dave Jones and I've been reading the posts here for a while and have decided its time to join. I'm a 35 year old father of 3 & 1/2 year old twins. Oh yeah, I also play guitar for a band called "Jester"
in Dayton, OH. I've been a Jake fan since the BATM days, I love the Badlands stuff and even disliked Zakk Wylde for a while cause I thought Ozzy firing Jake and the way he did it was a bunch of CRAP.
Since I've been checking this board I've gone back and re-listened to my Jake catalogue ( BATM, Ultimate Sin, all 3 Badlands, and Retraced, no Fine Pink Mist yet ) had a coworker burn me a copy of BATM live in Salt Lake in 1984, and found the music and video are having a profound effect on my playing. ( I'm on the verge of purging my Floyd equipped Schecter for a Strat with a blocked tremolo, and my hardtail strat has again become my favorite guitar.)
I just want to say you guys' knowledge of all things Jake is impressive and I've enjoyed reading you posts.
I'll through in my 2 cents when ever I can cause family ( wife and kids ) and band keep me busy, and I type really slow.

Later
Dave
www.jestertheband.com
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

Killer of Giants

Re: Well Hello

Postby Deansolo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:17 am

Hi Dave, welcome to the boards! :)

Dean
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:04 am

Welcome to the board, Dave! I checked out your site-cool, your band covers Long Way Down. You have a good variety of music. :D

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:16 am

Thanks Gutterflower,
I'm not sure that I should have posted the link to the website though as we just hired a new singer and are re-vamping the set list to what our singer can do. Our female lead quit the band with 26 hours notice before a show and with a show to play the following weekend . We typically play about every other weekend and average I'd say around 30 - 40 shows a year. We'll see what happens when the new singer gets up to speed. I've tried to talk the gang into adding some Badlands material to the set. ( our girl lead could have NAILED it.) But every else in the band says " we're a cover band, no ones ever heard that stuff, it won't go over well ."
Seeing that 90% of the material was picked out by our bass player and myself, and that goes over well, I think differently. That's the life playing in a band / democracy.

Dave
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

All Access Member

Postby shaggz1972 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:37 am

Hi Dave,
Welcome form Australia.
This is an awesome Tribute to the 1 and only Jake E Lee.

Enjoy
Shaggz
Rockin On That Rumblin Train

Postby Fretman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:59 pm

Welcome aboard! You can't go wrong adding Badlands to your set. Good music is good whether the crowd is familiar with it or not.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:30 pm

dave1021 wrote:Our female lead quit the band with 26 hours notice before a show and with a show to play the following weekend .

Well, that blows. :x

dave1021 wrote:We typically play about every other weekend and average I'd say around 30 - 40 shows a year. We'll see what happens when the new singer gets up to speed. I've tried to talk the gang into adding some Badlands material to the set. ( our girl lead could have NAILED it.) But every else in the band says " we're a cover band, no ones ever heard that stuff, it won't go over well ."
Seeing that 90% of the material was picked out by our bass player and myself, and that goes over well, I think differently. That's the life playing in a band / democracy. Dave

Tell them you never know until you try. And if you have a new vocalist, then that seems like the perfect time to try to incorporate some Badlands. Which songs would you try first?

...and how about Naked by the Goo Goo Dolls? That's a great song :)

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:26 pm

Probably "Dreams in the Dark" or "Last Time" . I'd love to "Soul Stealer' or maybe "Devil's Stomp" . Hell, if they turned me loose I'd play nothing but Jake, Van Halen, and stuff like that. Although I'd need to take some time and work on my chops. :D
As far as that Goo Goo Dolls song , I'm not really familiar with it. I learned "Long way Down" off the "Twister" sound track. Most of the what the Dolls do that makes Dayton radio are acoustic ballads. Nice to listen to but not much fun to play out.

Dave

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:34 am

Welcome, Dave. Good luck with those twins !!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Mstp34 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:35 pm

Welcome Dave

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:52 am

Fretman wrote:Welcome aboard! You can't go wrong adding Badlands to your set. Good music is good whether the crowd is familiar with it or not.

My thoughts exactly! I 100% agree! If the people don't think Badlands isn't worthy of listening to, then they have no taste whatsoever!

I could get really pissed if I ever heard someone say that Badlands isn't any good! The odd thing is, that I've never heard anyone say that! That should tell us something! :D

Return to All things Jake E Lee...