Censorship

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Censorship

Postby Fakeblue » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:34 am

Do you think censorship is a good thing ?

Things that were considered silly and marginal in the 50's are clearly tolerated today, so it tends to prove creativity helps for mind openess.
But how to find the right limit in censorship ?
Should we really accept everything ?

I think the solution (or one of the solutions) are the warnings policies.
Just stick a sign in the bottom of the screen saying an under 13 years old kid should not watch it, and then it's for the parents to take their responsibilities.

What do you think ?

Killer of Giants

Re: Censorship

Postby MetalHead » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:37 am

Fakeblue wrote:I think the solution (or one of the solutions) are the warnings policies.
Just stick a sign in the bottom of the screen saying an under 13 years old kid should not watch it, and then it's for the parents to take their responsibilities.

What do you think ?

i think that might be the best solution actually.
kids up to a certain age should be warned atleast,
then, as you said, it's up to the parents to decide.
one have to consider the maturity level as well.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:19 am

I agree with the both of you. If warnings are put on whatever the item is, then let parenting take over from there. There's always going to be exceptions, special cases, etc., but I feel like that's the best solution.

~Brian~

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:29 pm

i used to watch PG15 movies when I was 12-13 though ... 8)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:09 pm

As far Cd's and movies go i dont think it even matters anymore because everything has been said and done already atleast tiwce.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:03 pm

Funny subject. I always get the "you let your kids watch that????" when people find out what movies my kids have seen. The way I figure, they hear worse at school. Who cares if I let the youngsters watch Evil Dead II, Terminator II, and Alien. Good family entertainment at my house.

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:56 am

lol Walt. I remember hating my Daddy because he made me go to bed just before the end of 'Dracula's nightmare'. I've seen great spaghetti horror movies like 'Phenomena' aka 'Creepers' when I was underaged. I'm not sure it was a good idea because I've got really badly scared a couple of times. What's the point in getting scared so much that you can't focus at school ? I think fantastic cinema or scarry movies are good when fear makes you laugh or think....Evil Dead 2 is a wonderful movie. It doesn't really make you think but it's beautiful, I mean the directing, the aesthetics, awesome....

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:58 am

Talking about those 80's spaghetti's movies, they are great because they were one of the only movies that had metal in it. I mean Phenomena had Maiden's 'Flesh of the blade', a Motorhead song, an Accept song.........
Same thing for all the Dario Argento's films..

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby rice_pudding » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:34 am

MetalHead wrote:i used to watch PG15 movies when I was 12-13 though ... 8)

thats the problem with certification, kids will always want to watch 18's or NC-17's as they are in the US. so in some ways putting a label on a film is a bad thing.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:12 am

made me think of something Mick Mars said in The Dirt ...

UNCENSORED !! ;) :P

Mick Mars wrote:You can't say shit, piss or fuck on your records if you want them
to be played on radio or be sold at Wal-mart. It's not allowed.
And if you wanna have your video on TV, you cannot wear certain clothes
or show pictures of weapons or bodybags. Is music really that dangerous?
More dangerous than the death, murder, suicide and rapes I see
on TV and in movies all the time ? Write a little lovesong about
those subjects and everybody will refuse to play it on the radio.

I think he might be on to something here 8)

Postby skezza » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:58 pm

To be honest, ive always found by rating them R in the USA or labelling them 18 in the UK, gives more incentive to a youngster to watch them. I mean lets be honest, if a kid watches an R rated movie or whatever, he goes to school, tells his pals and they all think he's top notch. Its like games. That game called Manhunt or whatever it is for PC, xbox and playstation. ive actually played it, theres no point to it, you just go round killing people, theres no storyline or actual plot. Theres a clear certification that 12 year olds are not supposed to playing but theres no denying that they play it anyway, because nobody other than 12 year olds are into this sort of thing. Talking about the different ways to massacre is a great way to win friends in middle school but round the office water cooler its a good way to lose them.
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:38 am

skezza wrote:To be honest, ive always found by rating them R in the USA or labelling them 18 in the UK, gives more incentive to a youngster to watch them.

This is true though.

It's up to every individual to decide,
but I generally think censorship is unnecessary.

Return to Free for all...