getting daughter guitar for christmas...feedback

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

getting daughter guitar for christmas...feedback

Postby Olaf » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:33 am

So my 11 year old daughter says to me that she wants an electric guitar for Christmas. Not knowing if she will follow through or not, I did not want to go big end but I also did not want to get her a total crap ax for her first guitar.Being a drummer and not a guitar player I was flying blind.

I ended up with an ibanez starter kit. (ijx121) Does anyone have any experience with this guitar? As far as kits go, this guitar was rated very good. She wanted a Gibson flying V but like i said, not really sure she will like playing and thus not following through.

Any feedback on the below would be great. Again....she is 11.

Killer of Giants

Re: getting daughter guitar for christmas...feedback

Postby MetalHead » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:53 am

Image[quote]

:twisted:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby SHREDDER1 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:54 am

IBANEZ DOES MAKE SOME QUALITY LOW LINE INSTRUMENTS BUT,IT`S
YOUR BEST INVESTMENT FOR A BEGINNER.THE ONLY THING I COULD
COMPLAIN ABOUT IS YOUR PROBABLY HAVE TUNING PROBLEMS.
IT`S THE SAME FOR ANY STARTER PACK.YOUR DAUGHTER WILL HAVE
EARN HER CHOPS IF SHE WANTS TO UPGRADE.HAPPY GUITARING.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Olaf » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:07 am

This Ibanez is not the bottom end started guitar. There is one step down and this one was spoken highly of ( for a starter ). If she shows me that she is willing to stick with it, she will have any guitar she wants. Well, not anyone, but you know what I mean.....anyone below a grand.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:01 pm

Ibanez is a great starter guitar. Hell, I play a $250 RG series all the time.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:25 pm

mrmetal wrote:Ibanez is a great starter guitar. Hell, I play a $250 RG series all the time.
no .. Dean is :twisted:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby skezza » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:18 am

The Ibanez would be a great start to playing guitar. Ibanez make some great musical instruments, and like mrmetal said, you can pick up an RG series for quite cheap and they are excellent guitars. I would'nt recommend a Squier (my personal opinion) as I really do think there is miles better.

Another i'd recommend is the Fernandes Nomad. These are great little guitars with amps and distortion built into the actual body. Sure its not exactly great looking or made with the best wood (plywood i think) but its a starter guitar and you can take it anywhere. It would leave her with no reason to go on holiday without it :P
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/nomad.html

Or if you really want to push it, I see old Charvels go on eBay all the time. They are excellent guitars. I would gladly give up my Ibanez RG570 for a Fusion or Spectrum. I have numerous Charvels and they are all incredible guitars. They have a great sound, made with excellent wood and are all nowadays fairly cheap. They follow the whole pointy headstock theme, but i love that theme and if your daughter likes it then she may well fall in love with a charvel.
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Postby jefnel1 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:30 am

I got this one for my daughter. She's only 3, but I'm sure the axe will last at least through her teen years. It actually plays pretty well. The neck is Maple and the body is Agathis. The electronics, hardware and body wood is where Fender/Squier has skimped on the quality. These can all be upgraded later if needed. The neck is pretty solid and plays well.

"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Olaf » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:50 am

I started looking at the squires but was told they are not real good. I was told that the one I got was a good guitar for the money and set. I understand it is not a great guitar but I hope it will serve her well as a starter. Trust me, if she takes it seriously and does well, she will have a collection of varried axes to include Gibsons,Jacksons, etc........

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:49 pm

IMO any of those guitars listed above are fine. But I'd definitely take it to a qualified person for a proper setup (intonation, action, neck relief, nut slots, and check the bridge saddles for burrs. These days you'll be hard pressed to find a new guitar that's properly set up....Especialy from the big chains like guitar center. The only guitars that are properly setup from the factory are the high end models.

Dean
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:30 pm

There all very good sound advice to me, Olaf (the wonder bread drummer man/I love your avatar..'it makes me smile) in getting that "special" 1st lifetime Guitar for your 11 yr old daughter, how cool :!: I wish I could give some ideals myself but I'm not a guitarist so I don't know anything about instrumental gadgets like Skezza, Metalhead (that's a "mean" looking guitar Metalhead..'we don't want her to be afriad of her instrument do we..'smile), Jefnel1 (what a sweet & quite solid looking Hello Kitty guitar, I know your daughter Katie just loves it! She's going to be a master guitarist & Opera singer. Big smile.) Deansolo and Mr. Metal do for their certainly masters at their God given music talents. Best of luck Olaf, in finding that special Guitar for your little girl...'she's going to be a Trailblazer/like her Drummer father. :o 8) :D

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:38 pm

I think for her age and all you get in that starter kit that she should be thrilled. That's a way better guitar and amp than I got for my first electric guitar and amp (and that was after I 'proved I was serious' by taking 4 months of lessons on a total crap $20 acoustic!). Some nice little accessories in that kit too. I'm actually pretty amazed that they include all that stuff. Pretty cool!

Only problem with a good set up is it will cost a good percentage of what you paid for the package. Still pretty necessary though.

Good choice, I think she'll be pretty excited and I bet you are too! I'm getting all excited just thinking of the feeling of someone getting their first electric guitar! What a milestone in life! It sure was for me. And now that I think about it, this month it was 25 years ago! HOW CAN THAT BE?!?

Awesome, awesome feelings to think about though.

Sorry, didn't mean to get all nostalgic but it's hard not to when thinking about this topic!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:09 am

jefnel1 wrote:

Randy from Body of Scars has played on of those ;)

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Olaf » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:06 am

Thanks to all for the input!

Shadow, I am quite surprised you recall me being a drummer as I have not posted here in quite some time. Great memory! :D

btw, you can get a look at my drum kit at: myspace.com/loganmax

My little girl is not the best at following thru with things and thus I did not want to sink a bunch of money up front for not but I also know first hand how it is to start learning an instrument with a less that desirable piece of equipment. There were less expensive kits out there and I could have gone the used rout but I found this kit for $ 300.00. (the guitar sells alone for $200.00) I know it is not a lifetime guitar or anything and if she shows me she is going to stick with it, she will no doubt have a plethora or axes at her disposal.

I for one am stoked and I hope she sticks with it. I need someone to jam with! :lol:

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:50 pm

I wish you both the best in your daughter's new adventure endeavour may she truelly follow through with learning how to play the guitar & in the future work with her Daddy: I bet she just might try out for the drums too. So save-up for that, too Olaf...'hee, heee. When I get the time I'll check out your personal space on myspace, Olaf/the wonder bread man. Oh, when your daughter seriously put in some time playing the guitar maybe consider the Wilson Sisters/HEART Guitar line..'it's an array of solid ground Signature guitars that they offer to the up & coming/and professional musician. Good luck :!:

Return to Free for all...