What's your top pick for 2007?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

What's your top pick for 2007?

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:42 pm

...my top pick for 2007 is Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

Those of you that dig some depth to your metal check this baby out! You should be able to pick it up just about anywhere discs are sold. It's one of the most well produced, written, and overall well rounded discs that I own.

So what's your top pick for 2007?

~Brian~

All Access Member

Re: What's your top pick for 2007?

Postby harddriver » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:48 pm

Id have to say Down " Over the Under " is my top pick for 2007. Its got it all if you ask me . Riffs, Leads and bad ass grooves from some of the best musicians in rock today. Not to mention Phil Anselmo sounding better than he has in years.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:03 am

i think I'm going with

Sixx AM - The Heroin Diaries

8)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:18 pm

I actually want to check out both of the above releases. I've heard a lot of the Down release and it rocks for sure. The Sixx AM project I need to look more into, but I liked their first release from the disc.

~Brian~

Postby skezza » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:40 pm

Megadeth - United Abominations :D
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:38 pm

Surely I know you guys have more of heavy like list then just "1" album for 2007 when there was a mighty heavy blockbusters of new recordings that came out this year for I have quite a variety of Master music artists/bands that totally throw me "Over the Under" and then some & movies & soundtracks as well: here's my list of treasure finds this year 2007!

TOP 10 albums/cds (in no particular order)

the Blackening-Machine Head
In Sorte' Diaboli-Dimmu Borgir
Funeral for Yesterday-Kittie
Grace Submerged-Octavia Sperati
Paradise Lost-Symphony X
Black Rain-Ozzy Osbourne
Libertad-Velvet Revolver
Venus Doom-HIM
Dark Passion Play-Nightwish
Over the Under-DOWN

All these albums are "spectacular" especially, Nightwish-Dark Passion Play (bad ass groove & kick ass Vocals from Anette & that big bass player dude/he has a Viking beard can't think of his name at the moment), HIM-Venus Doom (chilly & darkly sensual) and DOWN-Over the Under (has a Southern Bayou flame to it! Just awesome). Also nice treasure find in Mutemath debut album and Audrey Horne-No Hay Banda (this one is a killer can't wait to hear their newest release "Le Fol" to be released in the USA in 2008!)

Top 5 Movie's of 2007

The Great Debaters (the whole Cast shines)
Moliere'-starring Romain Duris (phenomanel Actor! Played his behind off!)
Beowulf (although I did not dig how they twisted the storyline it was still a great movie..'next time the story will be told properly!)
I AM LEGEND - awesome!
Transformers - action pack blockbuster/Can't wait for the sequels' to this blockbuster summer hit!
...'and there's a few others' but these are my most favorites

Movie Sountrack

Moliere' - very beautiful baroque Reneissance music. Nice.
Beowulf - the title song is mega tuff, I love it!
Transformers - favorite Movie soundtrack of 2007: Disturbed, the Used, Smashing Pumpkins and Linkin Park totally bring it on! It's Heavy!

THANKS, for a great Topic post thread PoetsandMadmen. 8)

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:26 am

skezza wrote:Megadeth - United Abominations :D

Nice pick! \nn/

~Brian~

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:36 am

Shadow wrote:Surely I know you guys have more of heavy like list then just "1" album for 2007 when there was a mighty heavy blockbusters of new recordings that came out this year for I have quite a variety of Master music artists/bands that totally throw me "Over the Under" and then some & movies & soundtracks as well: here's my list of treasure finds this year 2007!

TOP 10 albums/cds (in no particular order)

the Blackening-Machine Head
In Sorte' Diaboli-Dimmu Borgir
Funeral for Yesterday-Kittie
Grace Submerged-Octavia Sperati
Paradise Lost-Symphony X
Black Rain-Ozzy Osbourne
Libertad-Velvet Revolver
Venus Doom-HIM
Dark Passion Play-Nightwish
Over the Under-DOWN

All these albums are "spectacular" especially, Nightwish-Dark Passion Play (bad ass groove & kick ass Vocals from Anette & that big bass player dude/he has a Viking beard can't think of his name at the moment), HIM-Venus Doom (chilly & darkly sensual) and DOWN-Over the Under (has a Southern Bayou flame to it! Just awesome). Also nice treasure find in Mutemath debut album and Audrey Horne-No Hay Banda (this one is a killer can't wait to hear their newest release "Le Fol" to be released in the USA in 2008!)

Top 5 Movie's of 2007

The Great Debaters (the whole Cast shines)
Moliere'-starring Romain Duris (phenomanel Actor! Played his behind off!)
Beowulf (although I did not dig how they twisted the storyline it was still a great movie..'next time the story will be told properly!)
I AM LEGEND - awesome!
Transformers - action pack blockbuster/Can't wait for the sequels' to this blockbuster summer hit!
...'and there's a few others' but these are my most favorites

Movie Sountrack

Moliere' - very beautiful baroque Reneissance music. Nice.
Beowulf - the title song is mega tuff, I love it!
Transformers - favorite Movie soundtrack of 2007: Disturbed, the Used, Smashing Pumpkins and Linkin Park totally bring it on! It's Heavy!

THANKS, for a great Topic post thread PoetsandMadmen. 8)

Shadow, you always give us our money's worth! :) I was pretty tough on music this year. I didn't hear a heck of a whole lot that impressed me for some reason. If I went with a top 5, then it would look like this:

5. After Forever - s/t
4. Jorn - Unlocking The Past
3. Allen/Lande - The Revenge
2. Within Temptation - The Heart of Everything
1. Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

~Brian~

Postby motley9 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:01 pm

Hey guys, this is my first post...Jake rules, and big hello to everyone!

I gotta go with Richie Kotzen- Go Faster (Or Return of the Mother Heads Family Reunion in some countries). Great singing, playing, and tunes.

United Abominations is also a great album.

I am gonna check out some of the other stuff you guys mentioned, as most of the stuff on this board is really cool.

Have a good new years guys!

Steve

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:56 am

I'm sorry but I havent'' pick anything since the last real metal album came out in the charts : 'Judas Priest's' 'Painkiller'.

I'm so happy with my 80, 90's beginning metal collection I don't lend an ear anymore.

Postby skezza » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:53 am

Fakeblue wrote:I'm sorry but I havent'' pick anything since the last real metal album came out in the charts : 'Judas Priest's' 'Painkiller'.

I'm so happy with my 80, 90's beginning metal collection I don't lend an ear anymore.
I don't listen to much newer stuff neither, but I like to give the bands from the 80s if they release a new album a bit of time. Plus the odd new album can sometimes impress me but thats rare however I remember when Crashdiet released Rest in Sleaze which i thought was a really decent album, sad dave lepard died so young
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:01 pm

My faves for 2007 were Nightwish, HIM, and Pagan's Mind releases.

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:10 am

skezza wrote:
Fakeblue wrote:I'm sorry but I havent'' pick anything since the last real metal album came out in the charts : 'Judas Priest's' 'Painkiller'.

I don't listen to much newer stuff neither, but I like to give the bands from the 80s if they release a new album a bit of time. Plus the odd new album can sometimes impress me but thats rare however I remember when Crashdiet released Rest in Sleaze which i thought was a really decent album, sad dave lepard died so young

Yeah. I remember when Judas Priest's 'Jugulator' came in the charts, I gave it five minutes. I was so incredibly shocked by the guitar riffs mediocrity, it sounded nothing like good old KK-Downing Glen Tipton stuff. Sometimes it is hard for me to hold it and I asked the vendor in the music store 'Is it really them ?' They both stopped what they were doing and looked at me strangely. They said 'Of course it's them who can it be ?' I said 'It's impossible ! The new singer can be lousy but the two guitar players can't have lost their talents so quickly right after Painkiller ! ' Then I backed off because I realised my attitude was getting on their nerves.

What kind of old 80's bands are you keeping an ear on ? Dokken ? Maiden ?

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:21 am

Fakeblue, no offense, but you need to get out more. :lol:

~Brian~

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:23 am

mrmetal wrote:My faves for 2007 were Nightwish, HIM, and Pagan's Mind releases.

I can't seem to get into the HIM stuff yet, but I'll give it another try. Pagan's Mind are metal gods!

~Brian~

Next

Return to Free for all...