What's your top pick for 2007?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: What's your top pick for 2007?

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:26 am

skezza wrote:
Fakeblue wrote:I'm sorry but I havent'' pick anything since the last real metal album came out in the charts : 'Judas Priest's' 'Painkiller'.

I'm so happy with my 80, 90's beginning metal collection I don't lend an ear anymore.
I don't listen to much newer stuff neither, but I like to give the bands from the 80s if they release a new album a bit of time. Plus the odd new album can sometimes impress me but thats rare however I remember when Crashdiet released Rest in Sleaze which i thought was a really decent album, sad dave lepard died so young

Skezza, you're missin' out on some good, current stuff out there. I keep up with most of the bands from the 80s as well.....the ones worth keeping up with that is.

~Brian~

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:29 pm

You like "Progressive Metal" more then anything, huh/PoetsandMadmen...'I noticed your top 5 list and their all Progressive Metal bands & I am surprise you didn't pick Symphony X "Lost Paradise" but your list is groovin' none the less. I agree it was a difficult year somewhat but still I found quite a lot of rubies & diamonds in my album list search/the band Kittie "Funeral for Yesterday" is very impressive/I liked it alot but the only thing that got to me was that their laying caskets as their promo photo booklet in the album sleeve...'that tripped me out some but it's a good album. Nightwish "Dark Passion Play" is thunderous filled with hurting emotions & moving on which their doing quite successfully/I wish them the best with that & their new Vocalist Anette. Oh, yeah that big Viking beard bass player name is Marco...'I think their "all" pretty amazing musicians, I like them. And Down have themselves a pretty incrediable album "Over the Under", too...'all in all I found some amazing music last year 2007 and hope that this year will bring about more treasure finds. Peace! :wink: 8) :D

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:50 pm

Shadow wrote:I am surprise you didn't pick Symphony X "Lost Paradise" but your list is groovin' none the less.

I like the new Symphony X disc don't get me wrong, but it just didn't make it in my top 5.

~Brian~

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:09 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
Shadow wrote:I am surprise you didn't pick Symphony X "Lost Paradise" but your list is groovin' none the less.

I like the new Symphony X disc don't get me wrong, but it just didn't make it in my top 5.

~Brian~

yeah, Michael Romeo is pretty good 8)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby hashima » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:58 pm

Spent a lot of time with 80s J-pop like Minamino Yoko, Harada Tomoyo, Nitta Eri and the likes of Onyanko Club. Sometimes I need a short rest.

Postby skezza » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:18 pm

Fakeblue wrote:
skezza wrote:
Fakeblue wrote:I'm sorry but I havent'' pick anything since the last real metal album came out in the charts : 'Judas Priest's' 'Painkiller'.

I'm so happy with my 80, 90's beginning metal collection I don't lend an ear anymore.
I don't listen to much newer stuff neither, but I like to give the bands from the 80s if they release a new album a bit of time. Plus the odd new album can sometimes impress me but thats rare however I remember when Crashdiet released Rest in Sleaze which i thought was a really decent album, sad dave lepard died so young

Yeah. I remember when Judas Priest's 'Jugulator' came in the charts, I gave it five minutes. I was so incredibly shocked by the guitar riffs mediocrity, it sounded nothing like good old KK-Downing Glen Tipton stuff. Sometimes it is hard for me to hold it and I asked the vendor in the music store 'Is it really them ?' They both stopped what they were doing and looked at me strangely. They said 'Of course it's them who can it be ?' I said 'It's impossible ! The new singer can be lousy but the two guitar players can't have lost their talents so quickly right after Painkiller ! ' Then I backed off because I realised my attitude was getting on their nerves.

What kind of old 80's bands are you keeping an ear on ? Dokken ? Maiden ?
Well I keep a listen out to all bands from the 80s who are my favourites or at least had some success in their younger days. I didnt particularly like A Matter of Life or Death (2006 guys sorry) but i still keep a watch on Maiden. Megadeth I think just blew me away with United Abominations, I really wasnt expecting what I got! Im eagerly awaiting Metallicas Ninth Studio album so I can point and laugh :lol:. Well, thats assuming its anywhere near as bad as Load, Reload or St Anger. I keep a close eye on Ozzy as well, but I didn't connect to well with Black Rain. I think Poison'd was quite fun even if it was just covers. That glam scene I do like to keep a watch on, bands like Motley Crue and RATT sometimes bring out the odd compilation worth getting ;). Just keep an eye on them fake, you never know what might rock your boat!
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Previous

Return to Free for all...