Guitar Issues

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Guitar Issues

Postby yellowshirtguy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:13 pm

I recently bought a ESP LTD M-255 from a local selling it. The guitar plays and sounds great, until I get up to the 17th fret. anything between the 17-22 fret sounds like the 22 fret. Its like the 22 fret is too high or something. The action is very low, could this be the problem?

Does anyone have any advice on how I can fix this problem? This really is an amazing guitar except for this problem, and I am really hoping I can fix it, or if I cant do it I hope its possible to take it to a shop and get it fixed.

Killer of Giants

Re: Guitar Issues

Postby Deansolo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:53 pm

I've never heard of that one. My advice is take it to a reputable shop and have it repaired. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:12 pm

Try raising the action and adjusting the truss rod. If you're not confident in making these critical adjustments, you should probably find a reputable luthier to fix it for you. It shouldn't cost you more than $50 for basic adjustments and a restring. A total setup shouldn't cost you more than $75.

Good luck.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music." - Jake E Lee

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:53 pm

you could get an allen bolt key and adjust it yourself too :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby yellowshirtguy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:01 am

MetalHead wrote:you could get an allen bolt key and adjust it yourself too :D

Well, I really know nothing about the maintenance of guitars at all, So if there is any way I could screw it up I just want to have it done at a shop, especially if the truss rod needs adjustment. If I can find a good enough guide online I might try to just do the action myself.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby yellowshirtguy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:58 pm

Well, my guitar needs a truss rod adjustment, so instead of raising the action myself, I think ill just wait until i can get it into the shop and get the truss rod adjusted properly

Return to Free for all...