Learning to play bass

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Learning to play bass

Postby harddriver » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:43 pm

Hey all my musician bros out there ive been pondering picking up a bass guitar and learning to play it. Advice needed on how to get started and anything else that could help me out.

Killer of Giants

Re: Learning to play bass

Postby Moose6 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:17 am

Make sure you can twirl around like Kip Winger, otherwise the chicks won't go for you. :lol: I can't dance, so I play guitar.

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:26 am

Moose6 wrote:Make sure you can twirl around like Kip Winger, otherwise the chicks won't go for you. :lol: I can't dance, so I play guitar.

:lol:

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:26 pm

Moose is right - you need ballet lessons first.

...and maybe a new sparkly white grill, just like Kip's :D

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:38 pm

Do you want the honest truth? Here it is.

If you are over 20, have kids, a job, a house, and other hobbies it is probably too late. I know people have a fit when I say that, but everyone that I have known that has tried to pick up an instrument later in life have failed and given up. Every single one with no exception.

The reason is because of the amount of time required to put in to practice an instrument is just hard to come by at an older age. The drive is not as strong either when you get older.

It takes a good three years to get any good and that is at a really basic level.

I have heard it all before like, "I can do whatever I put my mind to" and "it is a mechanical skill and anyone can learn to do that".....well, maybe you can. But no one I have known has done it yet.

I don't mean to discourage you, but most people just don't realize how much practice and time it takes to get good at playing an instrument and when they begin this journey and find out how difficult it is, they give up and quit.

It isn't as easy as it looks.

But, I wish you the best of luck mate.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:51 pm

mrmetal wrote:Do you want the honest truth? Here it is.

If you are over 20, have kids, a job, a house, and other hobbies it is probably too late. I know people have a fit when I say that, but everyone that I have known that has tried to pick up an instrument later in life have failed and given up. Every single one with no exception.

The reason is because of the amount of time required to put in to practice an instrument is just hard to come by at an older age. The drive is not as strong either when you get older.

It takes a good three years to get any good and that is at a really basic level.

I have heard it all before like, "I can do whatever I put my mind to" and "it is a mechanical skill and anyone can learn to do that".....well, maybe you can. But no one I have known has done it yet.

I don't mean to discourage you, but most people just don't realize how much practice and time it takes to get good at playing an instrument and when they begin this journey and find out how difficult it is, they give up and quit.

DAMN! That was brutal! :|
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:43 am

Deansolo wrote:DAMN! That was brutal! :|

Was it? I didn't mean it to be and I wish harddriver the best, really I do. But I have seen this time and time again.

Do you disagree Dean? I am just curious what your thoughts are on someone say, 25 on learning to play. I have never seen it happen and I don't live in podunk Texas. I live in a very large suburban area near one of the largest cities in the US.

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:10 pm

Well do you play guitar?
I would say it won't take that much to convert, however, starting a fresh takes a lot of practice

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:51 pm

Ok Fine :cry: I wont try and learn then :cry: I will go somewhere and sit alone and watch my WINGER :lol: live DVD and dream of dancing on stage with my Bass :cry:

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:49 pm

Well, if Winger is what you are shooting for, you may have a chance at that dream.

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:26 pm

Actually ive always preferred flash and style as opposed to skill and technique so here are my all time favs on bass.

1. Nikki Sixx - Badass image and stage pressence
2. Rudy Sarzo - Got to play with Rhodes
3. Geezer Butler - Just plain awesome
4. Duff Mckagen (87-92 only ) played bass on Appetite
5. Rex Brown - Down and Pantera are the shit

All Access Member

Postby Jim2368ca » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:37 am

Deansolo wrote:

DAMN! That was brutal! :|

I don't think so ... I totally agree. It takes a lot of dedication to learn to be half assed if you want full ass you really need to woodshed and if life gets in the way (like what happens to all adults) you won't accomplish squat other than annoy everyone by complaining how sore your figertips are.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:39 pm

If you can put in 3-4 hours a day for three years, you may get the point of "decent enough" to play easy rock like ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the like.

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:27 pm

I was given the Bass for free by a buddy of mine who just wanted to get rid of it and he was gonna throw it away if i didnt take it so figured " What the hell " why not. I was just gonna mess around in it in my spare time and try and learn a few cords or something. I know that it takes alot of time and practice ( not to mention patience and desire ) to become good at any musical instrument and i respect all of those who have accomplished that. That being said i was just gonna do it as a hobby thing and will probably end up giving it away again someday when my ol lady gets tired of me making all that noise in the basement lol.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:38 am

I suggest that you take the fast track approach. Pick a few easy songs that you would like to play. For example, anything by Poison or Winger, :wink: :lol: .

Go to a site like Ultimate Guitar and download a power tab.

Dowload the Power Tab editor (so you can read the tab)....power tab editor is free unlike some other guitar tab programs.

Learn from that and see how it goes.

Next

Return to Free for all...