Learning to play bass

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Re: Learning to play bass

Postby Badseeddbs » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:34 am

Mr Metal, do not put poison on the same level as winger in regards to musicianship for the love of god...seriously.They are not even on the same planet.That statement could only come from someone who is obviously doent like them or still lives by the rules of Beavis and Butthead.
I saw them this weekend and know for a fact that a well rounded player would need to practice to keep up with them,fact.

Now as for playing bass, I just picked it up a little over a month ago and have it down real good.Of Course I have been playing guitar for 24 years but still, it can be done.

You are right about playing easy stuff, but think of bass lines that are simple.Poison ,yes....AC/DC..easy bass lines...anythng where the bass just thumps on one note most of the song is where a novice should start.

Being that I have played guitar semi-professionally for so long made it quite easy for me, but still there is the part that is over looked, having to be in the pocket with the bass drum.

Picking up playing guitar later in life would be hard, but who am I to tell you that you cant do something? And if its all for fun anyways, then who cares? I hope you have fun, learn some tunes and get your ya ya's out!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:45 am

Badseeddbs wrote:Mr Metal, do not put poison on the same level as winger in regards to musicianship for the love of god...seriously.They are not even on the same planet.

I only put them in the same category to poke some fun at harddriver. It is a friendly little game we play. But for the record, I do enjoy Beavis and Butthead more than Winger. :wink:

As far as picking up bass in a few months, well, come on man, you have been playing a similar instrument for 24 years and that comparison is way off base from someone that is just starting. You really helped make my point and I didn't even get into being in the pocket of the bass - only a seasoned musician would understand that.

I still stand by my statement. I didn't tell him not to go for it, I just said odds were against him big time because of his age and time limitations. I also stand by the three year period to become really good at a basic level. When I say basic level, that means playing 4 or 5 songs with other musicians before they get frustrated and ask you to quit playing.

Like I said before, I have seen this attempt several times by adults and none of them learned squat once they realized how much work and time it took. One was freakin' drummer.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Badseeddbs » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:38 pm

well, I guess my point would be that he probably didnt have illusions that he would be a rock star in 5 months,but maybe it just sounds fun.Like I am sure it did when you 1st started....time is not a luxury, but if its just for fun then I would say its more prductive then sitting on the internet for hours on end.

As for me on bass, no doubt that playing guitar is the main reason I made the switch as easily as I have.But the little details in playing bass can be overlooked by most bands.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:27 pm

I would agree with you on that as well. I tell people that same sentiment you stated before I dash their dreams of playing "For the Love of God..." If their whole goal is to have fun, play some strumming songs for their own entertainment around the family camp fire, then, yes they can probably achieve that.

Occasionally I have had a few tell me that "they were going to show me and do it by God" but no one ever has. They usually come back and ask how we make it look so easy and then I get a chance to buy some barely used second hand gear :lol:

I still practice, in addition to rehearsing with my band. I too have been playing 20+ years. But I am dedicated to getting better before my hands give out. I figure I have a good 10 years left before they quit in protest. My point here is that novices have to put in way more time than I do to get started.

Previous

Return to Free for all...