Underrated Guitarists

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Underrated Guitarists

Postby Moose6 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:30 am

The recent thread about Vinnie Vincent has me thinking about underrated guitarists. I know most of us feel that Jake didn't get the attention he should havev. So I will pose the question to everyone, who do you think is an undrrated guitarist? That can be anyone who you think gets slammed all the time, or never even gets mentioned at all.

My nominee:

Frank Hannon - Tesla

IMO, Frank Hannon wrote really catchy songs. The melody and rythem sound great, but are easy to play, and the guy can rip a guitar solo. Plenty of skill and quite a versatile player too.

Killer of Giants

Re: Underrated Guitarists

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:31 am

John Sykes

Blue Murder and Badlands were the best bands of the late 80's/early 90's
"Hello this is Robbin Crosby from RATT, and when you're in your car remember to buckle up for safety, ITS THE LAW!"

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:15 am

Someone you never hear associated with good guitar playing is Jeff LaBar. I always dug his technique and tone. There are several great "hair band" guitarists that were way underrated IMO.

Another hardly mentioned is Mark Kendall. Never cared too much for the tunes from Great White that got air time. But, if you listen to the "B" tracks you can find some real gems from Kendall 8O

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:16 am

Doobie wrote:Someone you never hear associated with good guitar playing is Jeff LaBar. I always dug his technique and tone. There are several great "hair band" guitarists that were way underrated IMO.

Another hardly mentioned is Mark Kendall. Never cared too much for the tunes from Great White that got air time. But, if you listen to the "B" tracks you can find some real gems from Kendall 8O
Absloutley 100% correct on that one Doob :D Also Tom Keifer is never mentioned as a great guitar player and him and Jeff Together are amazing. Frank Hannon and Tommy Skeoch from Tesla are both underated also.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:33 am

I always thought that Paul Stanley was underrated as a lead player.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:56 am

Moose6 wrote:My nominee:

Frank Hannon - Tesla

IMO, Frank Hannon wrote really catchy songs. The melody and rythem sound great, but are easy to play, and the guy can rip a guitar solo. Plenty of skill and quite a versatile player too.

I love Frank :P

My nominee for this category is the BEST woman guitarist around:

~ Nancy Wilson ~ of Heart

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:04 am

This is an easy question for me! Criss Oliva! I don't think anyone can deny that this lad had chops. With that said, Criss never did really obtain the "guitar hero" status of many players during his time, because Savatage never has received the props that they deserve. Criss was very creative on tunes such as Prelude to Madness and Silk and Steel. If you're not familiar with Criss, please check his work out for me! :)

~Brian~

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:16 am

Well I used to say Doug Aldrich and Craig Goldy/Goldie But they seem to have found a Following after 20years!

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:58 am

Wise choses above for "all" those legendary musicians/guitarists do get slightly overlook and feel that fame legend Nancy Wilson of HEART should get her own guitar lesson section in many of those major music magazines! I would also add Stefan Leiberg & Henny Wolter of PRIMAL FEAR (I love them!), leader/founder Bassist Mat Sinner chose them well. And my most recent treasure find the Metal band VADER 25th Anniversary DVD, it's a killer 8O what trailblazing musicianship they have "all" of them from the leader/founder Peter/Piotr W. & Mauser bad ass guitarists (I'm still in a daze from their electric live performance!) & their bassist Novy & drummer Daray all of them talented as hell...'oh, my goodness I thought my house would cave in! Very, very exhilarating live performance from this legendary band VADER. I don't see them much in magazines, their extraodinary! And obviously the very cool Rebel trailblazer guitarist Jake E. Lee I would love to see him in the limelight, more too...'his recent recordings like "A Fine Pink Mist" & "Retraced" are heavy masterpieces, as is his earlier vintage Classic works. 8) Peace!

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:08 pm

I'll jump in here, even though I missed out on naming some of my main favs. I'll take a couple that weren't named:

John Norum
Neal Schon

To Charvel Super Strat: Great call!! On both Sykes and Badlands/Blue Murder! Glad to see someone else say that! You beat me to it!

To Mr. Metal: Love Paul, but sorry, there is definitely a reason no one values him as a lead player!

To Poets and Madman: Another excellent call. You beat me to that one as well. Criss was definitely an original. I can tell his playing immediately. You listen to old old recordings when he was in his teens and he was great then and even had great tone already!!

To Gutter Flower, thanks for the nice pic of Nancy! She's still hot. Good player too for sure.

To everyone else talking about Jeff Labar.... go listen to everyone mentioned above! Tom Keifer is the underrated player in that band for sure!

Oh, and support to Frank Hannon too! Always overlooked.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:40 pm

seasons wrote:
To Mr. Metal: Love Paul, but sorry, there is definitely a reason no one values him as a lead player!

I realize that Paul is not a "lead" player to a certain degree. But the man can play a nice lead and has on more that one occasion. Plus, he is the ultimate front guy. The fact that he can do an occasional lead is badass.

I also disagree with Sykes being underrated. Every rocker knows he is and what blistering fret work he has done with Tygers, Lizzy, Whitesnake, and Blue Murder.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:41 pm

seasons wrote:I'll jump in here, even though I missed out on naming some of my main favs. I'll take a couple that weren't named:

John Norum
Neal Schon

Totally agree with you about Norum. He is a phenomenal player.

Schon is great as well, but I am not sure he is underrated. I would like to see Schon and Steve Lukather in a jam session.

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:09 pm

Yeah Metal, you're probably right about Sykes and Schon not really being so underrated anymore. They were for years, but I think after years of these kinds of conversations in forums like this, everyone agrees those two are great.

Norum, is definitely underrated though. Very Sykes-ish in style. I think that's why I love him so much. He's a pretty good singer too. I like his voice. Inconsistant songwriter though. His solo albums are patchy. I wish he would hook up with a great singer/songwriter. He's also very Lizzy influenced. Very into Sykes/Gorham/Lynott and you can definitely hear it in his stuff.

Still can't really agree on the Paul lead thing. He plays a simple melodic lead here and there, but the his lead tone is so thin and shrill sounding it's tough to take seriously. Frontman? No question! One of the top greatest rockers of all time. One of my idols! Just not as a lead player though.
Also, he went to see Badlands on the Voodoo Highway tour, so of course he gets major points for that too! Would absolutely love to have a pic of him with Ray! Still trying to track one down...

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:15 pm

Ok, how about Dave Meniketti from Y&T. He doesn't seem to get his due. Great voice too!

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:19 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:This is an easy question for me! Criss Oliva! I don't think anyone can deny that this lad had chops. With that said, Criss never did really obtain the "guitar hero" status of many players during his time, because Savatage never has received the props that they deserve. Criss was very creative on tunes such as Prelude to Madness and Silk and Steel. If you're not familiar with Criss, please check his work out for me! :)

~Brian~

Absolutley Brian, a monster player and easily the most overlooked guitarist possibly ever. I'd say Criss was a mix of Eddie Van Halen and Yngwie Malmsteen but definitely had his own style and tone. A great riff writer who always had a plethora of tasty fills and lead breaks. If he had played for Ozzy or Dio he would have been huge.

Next

Return to Free for all...