Underrated Guitarists

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: Underrated Guitarists

Postby Gutterflower » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:29 am

Just a couple of days late ... I'm SO glad that I got to see DefLep with Steve back in the 80s - sometimes it pays to be older :P Can't believe he's been gone this long

DEF LEPPARD REMEMBER STEVE 'STEAMIN' CLARK:

April 23, 2008

Today marks the day that former Def Leppard guitarist Steve Clark would have turned 48 years old, had he not passed away on January 8, 1991 at the age of 30 after taking a fatal combination of prescription drugs and alcohol.

Steve's influence still rings through in the band's songs -- and not just in those he helped write and record, and are part of the current set list. On the band's new album "SONGS FROM THE SPARKLE LOUNGE", due out next week, one of Vivian's compositions was inspired by Steve, with the fitting title "ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG". And of course, Steve's face is also featured prominently a few times on the cover of the new album.

Here's to you, Steve!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hls6ADNO ... re=related

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:21 am

First-of-all, I have to say that I believe it's usually incorrect and difficult to label a professional guitar player "under-rated," and rather easy to over-rate a professional guitar player.
The first guys that come to my mind would have to be Buck Dharma of B.O.C., Steve Clark of Def Leppard ( Love and miss you, buddy! Hope you're having a good time!), Rick Nielson of Cheap Trick, Gary Rossington of Skynard, Jeff Watson of Nightranger, Adrian Vandenburg, that "James" guy in Styx cut some GREAT lines through mostly fair weather music, it has always been my dementoid, perhaps, way of thinking about it, but Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden seems to have always played second fiddle, and the most terrible injustice of all under-rated guitar players. . . Michael Schenker.
Last edited by frethead on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone will love you, just as long as you are a shooting star.

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:51 pm

A video of Steve speaking :O Have not seen many of those, thankyou very much for that Gutterflower!

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:49 pm

_will_ wrote:A video of Steve speaking :O Have not seen many of those, thankyou very much for that Gutterflower!

:D

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:09 am

whoops. :oops:

All Access Member

Postby BlackHeaven » Thu May 01, 2008 10:49 am

Couple of the unsung heros mentioned on this list jamming here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tpn7QrBblAg

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Nikki_Saixx » Fri May 30, 2008 10:57 am

BlackHeaven wrote:Couple of the unsung heros mentioned on this list jamming here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tpn7QrBblAg

YEAH! 8)

And THIS one is my favorite: http://youtube.com/watch?v=U__vtSWMGvk :idea:

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Nikki_Saixx » Fri May 30, 2008 11:10 am

Well, I think Warren DeMartini and Jake E. Lee are quite underrated guitar heroes.

Also Frank Marino is underrated BADLY... He has a lot of interesting stuff being something like a Jimi Hendrix replication but not a COPY. (There's a legend about Frank meeting spirit of Jimi while he was in hospital, injured in accident, not being a musician at all. So this spirit gave him a "feeling"...) First three works sound a lot like Hendrix stuff.

Pat Travers is often underrated - many people like his "heavybluesy" stuff from 90's, but I think, that this period is a bit boring. 70's-80's works are much better! And also album "It Takes a Lot of Balls" with Carmine Appice.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby JR97 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:29 am

Doobie wrote:Someone you never hear associated with good guitar playing is Jeff LaBar. I always dug his technique and tone. There are several great "hair band" guitarists that were way underrated IMO.

From Cinderella? I'm pretty sure that he hardly even played on the first couple of albums. Just toured. Same for the drummer. I read that the producer was quite the dictator and did not like Labar's leads at all. In fact, I read didn't even like Keifer's leads, but kept those.

Anywho, I always thought Labar was Jake E. Lee lite. :) But I loved Cinderella none the less and saw them quite a few times. Great band. Great show.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby JR97 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:40 am

Yes!!! Lots of Frank Hannon. Dude was probably one of the rippingest players out of the era.. even to this day, actually. So under rated. His playing was so choice for each tune.

good to a see nods to Neil Schon and Buck Darma. Schon can rip with the best, but was pretty limited in the Jonathon Cain era Journey. Check out the early early Journey stuff for some good blues/fusion playing. None of that Open Arms crap.

Another guy that never ever gets props is Lindsay Buckingham. I want to reincarnate as Lindsay Buckingham.

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:42 pm

Chuck Shuldiner of Death R.I.P. and Trey Azagthoth of Morbid Angel for people who like heavier music.

Killer of Giants

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Sat May 31, 2008 2:51 am

"Hello this is Robbin Crosby from RATT, and when you're in your car remember to buckle up for safety, ITS THE LAW!"

Postby skezza » Sat May 31, 2008 4:13 am

CharvelSuperStrat wrote:Carlos Cavazo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV6clUw_8Js
Agreed, ive said it for years. He's never had the credit he really deserves
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Killer of Giants

Postby dixiefix » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:38 pm

and i never (recently on Utube seeing him) heard anyone ever mentioned ERIC STEWART of 10 CC be mentioned as a quite innovative and progressive guitar player /imo , though 10cc was pretty mainstream in the 70's
I'll get a link as proof lateron

Killer of Giants

Postby dixiefix » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:10 pm

dixiefix wrote:and i never (recently on Utube seeing him) heard anyone ever mentioned ERIC STEWART of 10 CC be mentioned as a quite innovative and progressive guitar player /imo , though 10cc was pretty mainstream in the 70's
I'll get a link as proof lateron

the last part are ERIC STEWART on leadguitar, else on keyboard and leadvox
Live 1982 I'm Mandy, Fly Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Jb9m1N ... re=related

10cc "Feel The Benefit" Wembley Arena
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEdgTaL7 ... re=related

....ofcourse it's live there you can hear how good or ><sloppy one is ....

PreviousNext

Return to Free for all...