boost pedals

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

boost pedals

Postby SHREDDER1 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:37 am

I brought up the subject of boost pedals on the board a few months back.
I was surprised no one had an opinion or even experience with them.I used
to use eq pedals,extra head, or od pedals.They either drastically changed the tone or it was to cumbersome to lug around another head.

I recently put together a new board and took a chance and purchased the
BBE BUSTA GRANDE(CLEAN BOOST)...I was pleasantly surprised the it did
just that.Very little change in tonal color.Nothing that an average listerner
would pick-up.Very simple ...one knob and direct bypass.You can solo and be above the band.

I would also like to recommend the planet waves pedal tuner.The also has
direct bypass,a big led, and is accurate.There is no noise when using a
voodoo labs pedal power and if you use your amps effects loop.

Killer of Giants

Re: boost pedals

Postby mrmetal » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:34 pm

I guess I missed that. I tried OD pedals, boss of course to deliver a boost for leads, but like you said, it always changed my tone and I hated that.

With my Line 6 XT floor unit, I program one patch louder than the others and that serves as my lead/boost tone for now. It works for rehersals, but I haven't tried that live.

I may look into that BBE pedal you mentioned. I read about it and thought it may be worth trying. To run that in the input or loop before the power stage?

Postby skezza » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:48 pm

I used to have a GT-6 but i found every sound to be processed and very digital. I have reverted back to pedals. I currently have a BF-2, an OD-1, an RV-3, a CE-5 and a DS-2. I find the sound to have so much more energy. I have one of the boss stage tuners as well and its great :)
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby THOR » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:21 pm

I'm using an analog man YJM308 modified to old DOD250 spec's and love it. Changes the tone a litttle, but I think in a good way. The Planet Waves tuner is great, better than the Boss TU-2, which is not true bypass and is a nasty little tone sucker. I've been wanting to checkout the Boosta Grande. A friend of mine has a Lovepedal, a orange booster that is really cool. Botique, but very clean and non-compressed.

All Access Member

Postby reborn » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:44 am

I had a Splawn QuickRod which had a built in second volume to boost for solos. As for a boost pedal, never had used one, but just purchased a Keeley modded SD-1. I believe you can set it up like a boost, still waiting on the JEL OD from Dean. :D :D

All Access Member

Postby madbradwilson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:14 pm

i love the "keeley" ibanez tube-screamer pedal.

works awesome with any marshall 800/900/2000 sound!!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:14 am

i have a custom treblebooster from Cat's Eye 8)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby SHREDDER1 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:27 am

mrmetal wrote:I guess I missed that. I tried OD pedals, boss of course to deliver a boost for leads, but like you said, it always changed my tone and I hated that.

With my Line 6 XT floor unit, I program one patch louder than the others and that serves as my lead/boost tone for now. It works for rehersals, but I haven't tried that live.

I may look into that BBE pedal you mentioned. I read about it and thought it may be worth trying. To run that in the input or loop before the power stage?

All Access Member

Postby SHREDDER1 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:31 am

MR METAL...RUN IT THROUGH YOUR EFFECTS LOOP..WORKS VERY CLEANLY.I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO MENTION THAT I AM RUNNING THROUGH ALOT OF GAIN(BUDDA SUPERDRIVE)....DOES`NT MAKE A DIFFRENCE. PRETTY CLEAN SOUNDING. WOULD LIKE TO TEST RUNNING STRAIGHT AND SEE WHAT IT`S LIKE.

Return to Free for all...