Your preference of the scale length for the guitar

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Your favorite scale length of the guitar?

25.5" (Fender-ish scale)
40%
24.75"-24 5/8" (Gibson-ish scale)
53%
Other
7%

Total votes : 15
Killer of Giants

Your preference of the scale length for the guitar

Postby johnthebrucelee » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:48 pm

What's your preference for the scale length and why do you like it? :o
"Hahaha, you don't see rockstars with straight A's in high school and such," says johnthebrucelee. "Actually, that only goes to show that playin' guitar ain't rocket science," Deansolo remarked. ;)

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Re: Your preference of the scale length for the guitar

Postby yellowshirtguy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 pm

I picked the 25.5 because its the only I've ever played on :/

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:09 am

i voted Gibson scale, because that's mainly what I play.
but I have a guitar with Fender scale as well and I don't
have any problems playing that either :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:28 am

24.75"

All Access Member

Postby _will_ » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:54 am

I see no huge difference, spend most time on Gibson.
Fretboard radius is more noticable to me

Postby jefnel1 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 am

I prefer the 24.75 scale. Just feels more comfortable to me. It's really all about personal preference. I learned to play in my teens on a Yamaha guitar with 24.75 scale. When I graduated to a Les Paul, it was an easy transition.

I've found Strats more of a challenge to play - especially the old ones with a smaller radius. When practicing, I tend to pick up my Strats more often because of the challenge.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:16 am

I prefer the Gibson necks, which have differed in length by very small increments through the decades, but Gibson says are all 24 3/4. I do find the Fender radius to be comfy, a nice relation with the scale length/ player position, as it seems to promote an opening or stretching sort-of thing with the fingers/ hand, and Charvel and Ibanez have similiarly shaped planks but you can't have it all, I guess. I don't know . . . I don't want all of it.
Everyone will love you, just as long as you are a shooting star.

Postby skezza » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:43 pm

Difficult question to answer for me because I have a couple of both. I have a couple of Guitars with Gibson Scale Length and a couple with Fender. I like Fender because the strings are more tense, which means i can get really nice clean pinched harmonics. But i like Gibson because I can bend the strings effortlessly. I'm going to go with Fender on this one i guess :P
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:01 am

Skezza, dude, have you ever ventured into the land of guitar set-ups? I'm not making a joke at your expense. I didn't do anything with neck/ bridge adjustments until I bought a Les Paul - nearly twenty years after playing my Explorer the way it came out of the case on Christmas morning in 1982! Anyway . . . after adjusting your truss rod to make a yummy shape out of the neck ( leaning over-all toward concave or convex), you can raise or lower your bridge to adjust string tension while you work to narrow the gap on intonation ( as it will never be perfect due to the nature of fretted instruments, and all of the moveable parts need to be in mutually compatible postions, roughly speaking.) Adjustments are necessary after you restring your guitar as per playing comfort, intonation, tuning, alien abductions, and to make the desired sound when you throw it through the window and into the street. LOLLLO There are a number of factors involved in making correct adjustments. Take for instance how my Les Pauls feel like they have short scale necks, Gibsons, while my Explorer, Gibson, feels like it has a long scale neck. Obviously, the difference is the size and shape of the bodies. I've learned by trial and error, by choice; however, great learning material is available on the subject. I have invested in Don McErlewine's books ( for confirmation, since you never really know if you're doing "the right thing!"). Dude is PRO. www.stewmac.com Strange and beautiful. What's that smell?
Last edited by frethead on Thu May 01, 2008 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Killer of Giants

Postby SDBinNY » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:15 pm

I haven't played anything Gibson scale in soooo long, it isn't even funny. I have 5 Jacksons, 2 Charvels, a Squier, and a Warlock. The 25 1/2" scale is far more comfortable for me because I have relatively large hands..

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu May 01, 2008 7:33 am

I never really paid attention. I have a Jackson, Gibson, Ibanez, and at one-time a Fender strat. I plan on getting another one soon, but it doesn't affect my playing either way.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Thu May 01, 2008 11:25 am

2 Les Pauls, 1 Explorer, 1 Guild acoustic/ electric ( and the frets suck on most of 'em, but, for the commanding influence of my scattered motives, a warm, new scent shall rise up out of the heartland, and the western sun will be the darker of the twain. Check, please! LOL

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Thu May 01, 2008 6:48 pm

I've always played Strat scale guitars. Odd since I have small hands. When I do play a Gibson scaled guitar it feels good, but then when I go back to a Strat scale, it feels like going home. I actually like the 25" scale of a PRS type guitar.

Dave
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sun May 04, 2008 10:50 am

Ooooooh. PRS. Yeah, I'd like very much to wrap my hand around a PRS McCarty ( is that right?!) I've kept my eyes peeled in the hopes of finding one of them for a long time!

Postby skezza » Mon May 05, 2008 5:49 am

frethead wrote:Skezza, dude, have you ever ventured into the land of guitar set-ups? I'm not making a joke at your expense. I didn't do anything with neck/ bridge adjustments until I bought a Les Paul - nearly twenty years after playing my Explorer the way it came out of the case on Christmas morning in 1982! Anyway . . . after adjusting your truss rod to make a yummy shape out of the neck ( leaning over-all toward concave or convex), you can raise or lower your bridge to adjust string tension while you work to narrow the gap on intonation ( as it will never be perfect due to the nature of fretted instruments, and all of the moveable parts need to be in mutually compatible postions, roughly speaking.) Adjustments are necessary after you restring your guitar as per playing comfort, intonation, tuning, alien abductions, and to make the desired sound when you throw it through the window and into the street. LOLLLO There are a number of factors involved in making correct adjustments. Take for instance how my Les Pauls feel like they have short scale necks, Gibsons, while my Explorer, Gibson, feels like it has a long scale neck. Obviously, the difference is the size and shape of the bodies. I've learned by trial and error, by choice; however, great learning material is available on the subject. I have invested in Don McErlewine's books ( for confirmation, since you never really know if you're doing "the right thing!"). Dude is PRO. www.stewmac.com Strange and beautiful. What's that smell?
Ofcourse :P I love to set-up guitars differently each time, especially if im trying to work on a different style ;)
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Return to Free for all...