smoking rant

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

smoking rant

Postby Doobie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:52 pm

No, this isn't an anti-smoker's rant. I am a smoker.

I stopped and bought a carton of cigs last week. All week long I notice I'm having a little, no make that A LOT, of trouble smoking them. They won't stay lit. Lay it in the ashtray for second, pick it back up and the damn thing isn't lit. Re-light it (gross). Lay it back down for a sec, pick it back up and it's out again. If I don't lay it down, it still wants to go out. So, I'm basically in torque-mode, looking like a damned nicotine junky, just trying to smoke a cig.

Upon complaining about this to my daughter, she asks if my pack states "FSC" on the side. I dunno. Pick up the pack and yep, there it is - "FSC" right above the barcode #'s. What the hell does it mean, I ask her?

She proceeds to tell me that she was out the other night and some dude was having the same problem with the "Fire Safe Cigarettes" he just purchased. What? Fire Safe Cigarettes?

Evidently, we have "safe" cigarettes to smoke now 8O .

Oh, they're safe enough, alright. The damn things won't stay lit. And, on the last drag the filter just collapses all together :? .

So, smoker's beware when purchasing your cigs if you haven't already run into this problem. The FSC's sukkkkkkk!

If all brands go to this, I'll definitely quit. I have enough frustrations throughout the day. Fighting with a cigarette (which would normally calm the nerves) may just push me right on over the edge! :evil:

Secret Loser

Re: smoking rant

Postby seasons » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:13 pm

Finally a cure!!!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:07 pm

Man, I love to smoke cigs. I don't that often, but I enjoy them when I do....

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:31 am

FSC cigs - WTF next?! I quit about 10 years ago, but still like the occasional when I'm out partying :P

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:12 am

That is like me Gutterflower. I like taking smoke breaks with the drummer of our band during practice, but that is the only time I smoke.

Postby jefnel1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:46 am

I don't want to be "that guy", but you should all do yourselves and your families a favor and quit smoking. This is coming from a smoker of 12 years that was up to almost 2 packs a day.

Believe me, food tastes better, the air smells better, you can breathe better, and you no longer hack up brown stuff when you cough. I noticed these changes almost instantly when I quit. As smokers, you don't realize how bad your hair, clothes, and breath really smell to others. If you smoke inside your home, EVERYTHING smells like after-smoke and has a yellowish-brown tinge to it. I only noticed all these things after quitting.

Throw those cancer sticks in the garbage.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Killer of Giants

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:46 am

jefnel1 wrote:I don't want to be "that guy", but you should all do yourselves and your families a favor and quit smoking. This is coming from a smoker of 12 years that was up to almost 2 packs a day.

Believe me, food tastes better, the air smells better, you can breathe better, and you no longer hack up brown stuff when you cough. I noticed these changes almost instantly when I quit. As smokers, you don't realize how bad your hair, clothes, and breath really smell to others. If you smoke inside your home, EVERYTHING smells like after-smoke and has a yellowish-brown tinge to it. I only noticed all these things after quitting.

To True.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:46 am

jefnel1 wrote:I don't want to be "that guy", but you should all do yourselves and your families a favor and quit smoking. This is coming from a smoker of 12 years that was up to almost 2 packs a day.

Not defending it and everyone needs to quit. I have done so several times myself and noticed all the pleasant differences you've noted. But, everyone has a vice and will end up replacing a previous vice with a new one. I'm forced to pay $12.50 more PER WEEK for my health insurance than my non-smoking co-workers do. I wonder how much more the obese are paying for health insurance as opposed to the "leaner" insurance holders? How many alcoholics are being treated for cirrhosis of the liver and awaiting liver transplants that insurance will mainly cover? As for me, I've gone to the doctor twice in the last 8 years due to allergy symptoms (the spring buds effect me every few years).

It would be my luck that I would quit, enjoy the taste of food again and become obese. The insurance giants would catch on to it and again sock me with a surcharge for my new food vice which would be causing heart, cholesterol, and blood pressure issues (just to name a few) and additionally causing frequent trips to the doctor and pharmacy.

No matter. You can't win against the tobacco or insurance industries. :x

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:01 pm

Man, I never smoked even a pack a day. I am a very light, occasional smoker. I just enjoy the act of smoking for some reason. I maybe have 4 smokes in a week, if that.

But yeah, everyone should quit....

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:29 pm

mrmetal wrote:Man, I never smoked even a pack a day. I am a very light, occasional smoker. I just enjoy the act of smoking for some reason. I maybe have 4 smokes in a week, if that.

But yeah, everyone should quit....

Metal, that has to be the strangest thing I've ever heard dude! :lol: I thought once people started smoking, they got hooked.

Anyway, I'm probably "that guy" that Jeffnel was talking about. I despise cigs worse than any other "habit". I could care less if people drink, as long as you're not driving, or chewing tobacco, etc. Smoking just effects everyone around it, which I hate. I'm so grateful that I can go to a concert now without having someone blowing smoke in my face! I'm also glad that I don't have to fight with this habit, because it must be hell to quit! I actually feel for people that are trying to quit, because it seems to be awful.

~Brian~

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:19 pm

I just found out the FSC's are in the state of Kentucky, only. Last year there was a fire in Louisville that took five lives. The cause of the fire was contributed to a passed out cigarette smoker. Hence, all Ky. cigs have to be fire safe now. Although much cheaper in Ky. due to the Indiana cig tax, I'll not buy them in Ky. no more.

I don't know if I'm relieved or upset. It would have been a great way for me to have quit the habit because the FSC's suck so badly. Maybe I'll go ahead and buy them so it'll be easier to quit!!

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:54 pm

Doobie wrote:I just found out the FSC's are in the state of Kentucky, only. Last year there was a fire in Louisville that took five lives. The cause of the fire was contributed to a passed out cigarette smoker. Hence, all Ky. cigs have to be fire safe now. Although much cheaper in Ky. due to the Indiana cig tax, I'll not buy them in Ky. no more.

I don't know if I'm relieved or upset. It would have been a great way for me to have quit the habit because the FSC's suck so badly. Maybe I'll go ahead and buy them so it'll be easier to quit!!

I could always send you some normal ciggies from across the border in Virginia (Marylanders drive to VA or WV for cheaper cigs) LOL Just say the word! :P

I quit smoking about 10 years ago after a nearly 20 year habit. I couldn't do it cold turkey or with the patch or the gum (which I think is stupid anyway - similar to giving methadone to a heroin addict). The only thing that ever worked for me was acupuncture-it took away the bitchiness and the craving :twisted: Even now, I can go out and have the occasional cig here and there but it doesn't make me want to start up again fullblown.

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:35 pm

I started smoking when i was in the Military and i quit about 6 years ago after an extended stay in the hospital when i was recovering from a brain aneurism. I also used to drink about 14 beers a day back then and i smoked about a pack and a half also. These days im more into taking care of my body but like a few of my other friends on here i do enjoy an occasional smoke when im drinking.

Return to Free for all...