Suggestions on new songs ?!

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: adelaide, Australia

Re: Suggestions on new songs ?!

Postby Rock » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:40 am

I am a seasoned bar and club player in Australia, like I said Australia, and have played a few thousand gigs, but u guys are in U.S so I would say our setlist would be alot diff, as we have our standard Aussie songs in there as well as some of the stuff u guys have mentioned. So tell me what is the live scene like over there for cover bands, and what sought of crowds do u pull??? I mean ffs, your population is like 30 times bigger than us, but our pubs love to rock hard. What is the live pub scene age group???? With the coming of rap and dance shit, it has fkn cut down the live scene as the so called RAVE scene has taken a slice of our pie. Very interested to know how that has affected u guys over the last 10-15 years. :)

Cheers.. I love Bourbon :)

Killer of Giants
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: San Luis Rey, California

Re: Suggestions on new songs ?!

Postby Deansolo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:03 am

I haven't played out regularly since the mid 90's. I started back in the late 70's. During that time, Before DJ's (and rap) became popular you could make a living playing covers in a small market like San Diego. I was in 2 bands at that time....1 playing 4-45 minute sets of Top 40 in the clubs (usually pulling 300-400 people on the weekends maybe half that during the week with ages between 25-40 years old), and a Hard Rock/Metal band playing the military bases that are nearby (captive audience!! most marines and sailors live on the base and frequent the enlisted clubs every night. ages 18-25). All that started changing in the mid to late 80's when club owners started hiring DJ's and making the bands pay-to-play. DJs work cheap..so basically nowadays there is no live cover band scene here anymore. it's sad and angers many of us. The Rap crap has destroyed any chance to make any money playing rock music in my area. Basically if you've got a band you either play 1 maybe 2, 30 minute sets of covers for next to nothing or you play originals for free.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: adelaide, Australia

Re: Suggestions on new songs ?!

Postby Rock » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:36 am

Deansolo wrote:I haven't played out regularly since the mid 90's. I started back in the late 70's. During that time, Before DJ's (and rap) became popular you could make a living playing covers in a small market like San Diego. I was in 2 bands at that time....1 playing 4-45 minute sets of Top 40 in the clubs (usually pulling 300-400 people on the weekends maybe half that during the week with ages between 25-40 years old), and a Hard Rock/Metal band playing the military bases that are nearby (captive audience!! most marines and sailors live on the base and frequent the enlisted clubs every night. ages 18-25). All that started changing in the mid to late 80's when club owners started hiring DJ's and making the bands pay-to-play. DJs work cheap..so basically nowadays there is no live cover band scene here anymore. it's sad and angers many of us. The Rap crap has destroyed any chance to make any money playing rock music in my area. Basically if you've got a band you either play 1 maybe 2, 30 minute sets of covers for next to nothing or you play originals for free.


Well it seems not alot diffrent to here then....seem's like the 2 piece, singer/bassplayer guitarist/back up vox with drum machine and sequenicing seem to be the go there as well as here..........FKN SUX, but the real band still has it place here every now and then. Heres a band I may be playing with in the future which is just good rock covers.... is called "HollyWood GunClub" website right here .... http://www.hollywoodgunclub.com/bio.php

Killer of Giants
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: england kent

Re: Suggestions on new songs ?!

Postby crisguitar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:59 pm

MetalHead wrote:I've been speaking vaguely with a friend about jamming some
good'ol rock tunes together, and maybe play some local bars.

So I bought a wah pedal and learned Hendrixs Voodoo Chile :)
and just yesterday Van Halens Panama made it's way in my head.

After dinner today, I think I'll start with ... Cat Scratch Fever :D
and then we have Rolling Stones Paint it black as well :mrgreen:

So, do you guys have any other suggestions on some good rocksongs to jam.
I'm all ears, but I have to get to the kitchen so I don't burn my food.

Later.
i need to no...do u rely on ur own ear to tab out a song or do u buy the sheet music and learn it that way?..i h8 it wen kids at ma school go on websites print out a wrong version of a song and attempt to play it! aghhh it sounds horrible

Killer of Giants
Posts: 1567
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: San Luis Rey, California

Re: Suggestions on new songs ?!

Postby Deansolo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:52 pm

Rock wrote:
Deansolo wrote:I haven't played out regularly since the mid 90's. I started back in the late 70's. During that time, Before DJ's (and rap) became popular you could make a living playing covers in a small market like San Diego. I was in 2 bands at that time....1 playing 4-45 minute sets of Top 40 in the clubs (usually pulling 300-400 people on the weekends maybe half that during the week with ages between 25-40 years old), and a Hard Rock/Metal band playing the military bases that are nearby (captive audience!! most marines and sailors live on the base and frequent the enlisted clubs every night. ages 18-25). All that started changing in the mid to late 80's when club owners started hiring DJ's and making the bands pay-to-play. DJs work cheap..so basically nowadays there is no live cover band scene here anymore. it's sad and angers many of us. The Rap crap has destroyed any chance to make any money playing rock music in my area. Basically if you've got a band you either play 1 maybe 2, 30 minute sets of covers for next to nothing or you play originals for free.


Well it seems not alot diffrent to here then....seem's like the 2 piece, singer/bassplayer guitarist/back up vox with drum machine and sequenicing seem to be the go there as well as here..........FKN SUX, but the real band still has it place here every now and then. Heres a band I may be playing with in the future which is just good rock covers.... is called "HollyWood GunClub" website right here .... http://www.hollywoodgunclub.com/bio.php


Looks like a fun bunch to play with!

Like you said, a real band still has it's place every now and then...and there is another way to work. If you're good and are not opposed to playing a wide variety of music. Since San Diego has a popular convetion center there's very lucrative "Corporate Special Events" gigs. Not nearly as fun as club gigs but very good money. I did it for about 4 years in the 90's playing standards like "Sunny and Kansas City" to Rock like Skynyrd and the Stones. But it is WORK and it gets boring real fast....Just like a real job.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 2138
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Suggestions on new songs ?!

Postby MetalHead » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:33 am

crisguitar wrote:
MetalHead wrote:I've been speaking vaguely with a friend about jamming some
good'ol rock tunes together, and maybe play some local bars.

So I bought a wah pedal and learned Hendrixs Voodoo Chile :)
and just yesterday Van Halens Panama made it's way in my head.

After dinner today, I think I'll start with ... Cat Scratch Fever :D
and then we have Rolling Stones Paint it black as well :mrgreen:

So, do you guys have any other suggestions on some good rocksongs to jam.
I'm all ears, but I have to get to the kitchen so I don't burn my food.

Later.
i need to no...do u rely on ur own ear to tab out a song or do u buy the sheet music and learn it that way?..i h8 it wen kids at ma school go on websites print out a wrong version of a song and attempt to play it! aghhh it sounds horrible


I think I have a good enough ear for music so I can hear if the tab is wrong. Tab - Song - Tab - Song - Play along :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: england kent

Re: Suggestions on new songs ?!

Postby crisguitar » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:43 am

cheers dude! i glad thers other peeps that can listen an kinda catch on lol

Previous

Return to Free for all...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests