Acoustic Guitars (give your opinion/advice)

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner

Acoustic Guitars (give your opinion/advice)

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:10 am

Hello ,

I know many of you guys are maniacs ,when there is a talk about electric quitars,pickups,stompboxes,amps,cabinets,ect.I am sure most of you enjoy playing acoustic guitars as well.Can you share your way of recording ,how do you position your microphones ? What types of microphones you are using ? I would really appreciate ,if you share some tips and samples.I have read,that most of good recordings have been made through couple of microphones placed on diffrent positions ,there must be a mic preamp ,i guess.Do you put some compression later ,when you mixing ? I have run some tests myself ,at home.I have put the mic (Studio Projects B1 Condenser Microphone) one feet away from 12 th fret of my Fender CD220 (western type with piezo)-> emu 0404 (sound card).here are the results:

the first one has been mixed ,like this 1 delayed track on left and right and one in the middle (original).

the second one has been taken directly from the piezo pickup and then sent to the soundcard.

mic
piezo

Killer of Giants

Re: Acoustic Guitars (give your opinion/advice)

Postby mrmetal » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:39 am

I like to have two tracks, one either direct or a mic'd acoustic amp right at the speaker then another a few feet away like you indicated. Then I mix the two tracks to get the sound I want. I also add a little compression and reverb, not too much, just enough to give it some character.

Return to Free for all...